Official Irish Football Association Thread (Northern Ireland)

Started by Mentalman, September 04, 2007, 11:39:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: haranguerer on March 27, 2019, 12:23:12 PM
The song wasn't played accidentally. Its a common refrain at loyalist events, and I'm surprised more hadn't heard it.

This is a very good podcast, and this episode shouldn't leave you in any doubt about how common it is.

https://theirishpassport.com/podcast/s2-episode-9-the-glorious-twelfth/

Yes I thought it wasn't accidental, the playing of it. I mean, how often do you hear that song played? It's over 30 years old, not a regular number.

The words are obviously well known. They didn't just make it up on the spot for that video

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on March 27, 2019, 12:15:52 PM
It's a bunch of low-lifes in a pub.  They are pricks who deserve all that comes to them.  They are a poor reflection on society and where they come from.

They are too small a sample size to tar Northern Irish support but it's a fact of life that they will be used as such. 

There are those that will see them as confirming their views of Northern Ireland supporters
There are those who will use it to play the "Who condemned them and did they condemn themmums?" game
There are the Shinnerbots who will want to exploit it
Etc.. Etc..

I know that the IFA and many supporters want Northern Ireland to be a team for all but the likes of those in this video don't.  In fact it's important for them to use (abuse) the Northern Ireland team as "theirs" and outlet for their brand of identity.  There isn't  a whole lot the IFA or others can do about it apart from keep the overt stuff out of grounds and remind people.

At the end of the day though this gang of kunts see their trip to Belfast as an opportunity to indulge their identity and are using soccer as an outlet.   You have to wonder how they are raised/dragged up to think this is funny or even remotely acceptable in a public place. (I think it as writ that they think it's acceptable in private)   The video is too short to know if this was a few minutes of madness or did the owners of the premises indulge or even encourage this shit.

/Jim.

One edit: according to Belfast telegraph they were turfed out of the pub for their behaviour so I guess the owner didn't indulge it.  Of course who requested/decide to play that song is a question too.

/Jim.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on March 27, 2019, 01:51:29 PM
It's a bunch of low-lifes in a pub.  They are pricks who deserve all that comes to them.  They are a poor reflection on society and where they come from.

They are too small a sample size to tar Northern Irish support but it's a fact of life that they will be used as such. 

There are those that will see them as confirming their views of Northern Ireland supporters
There are those who will use it to play the "Who condemned them and did they condemn themmums?" game
Etc.. Etc..

I know that the IFA and many supporters want Northern Ireland to be a team for all but the likes of those in this video don't.  In fact it's important for them to use (abuse) the Northern Ireland team as "theirs" and outlet for their brand of identity.  There isn't  a whole lot the IFA or others can do about it apart from keep the overt stuff out of grounds and remind people.

At the end of the day though this gang of kunts see their trip to Belfast as an opportunity to indulge their identity and are using soccer as an outlet.   You have to wonder how they are raised/dragged up to think this is funny or even remotely acceptable in a public place. (I think it as writ that they think it's acceptable in private)   The video is too short to know if this was a few minutes of madness or did the owners of the premises indulge or even encourage this shit.

/Jim.

One edit: according to Belfast telegraph they were turfed out of the pub for their behaviour so I guess the owner didn't indulge it.  Of course who requested/decide to play that song is a question too.

/Jim.

Belfast prods have a bit more class, and wouldnt been 'seen' singing that shite.  ::)

With it up on FB and twitter there were videos of 'Irish club/international football' supporters singing the "Oh ah, up the ra" and other songs in a bar somewhere. would that be classed as a sectarian song to people from the orange side of the road?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

lynchbhoy

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 27, 2019, 08:57:39 AM
Quote from: Boycey on March 26, 2019, 08:14:58 PM
Fcuk me lads are yis really outraged at that??

That's not really the point. The IFA would officially tell people this kind of behaviour doesn't exist. Maybe I'm misrepresenting them but that's my and others perception. Instead of genuinely tackling the inherent problem within their support they've their heads in the sand. I think that's the point.
Spot on Seanie

It's the hypocrisy that those say the north of Ireland support is sanitised and all welcoming.
Nothing has changed.

At least the IFA purport to try combat this... however facile these attempts may be- it will always come to sought.

The only solution is for the nort of Ireland team to join in with the full Ireland team - esp once we get reunification!

imtommygunn

It is unfair(and wrong) to say nothing has changed. There is no way all of this could be weeded out and the IFA could not control what people in a pub say. If you are to ask questions of them it would be why are they playing in the village area in windsor park and funding Linfield as opposed to why are you not stopping neanderthals sing sectarian songs in a bar. Were that in a ground they should be banned. Here I am not 100% sure what they can do bar condemn it.

There are still IRA songs from time to time on the way to the Aviva too.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 27, 2019, 02:37:46 PM
It is unfair(and wrong) to say nothing has changed. There is no way all of this could be weeded out and the IFA could not control what people in a pub say. If you are to ask questions of them it would be why are they playing in the village area in windsor park and funding Linfield as opposed to why are you not stopping neanderthals sing sectarian songs in a bar. Were that in a ground they should be banned. Here I am not 100% sure what they can do bar condemn it.

IRA songs about 1916?

The IFA cant control it, but my point is that the mindset of most of the unionist/loyalists are still the same

I've heard a lot of Irish rebel songs and I've never heard let alone joined in any song berating another religion or any religion

That's got to be unique to the north of iteland/unionist/loyalists in the six counties... or has anyone come across any rubbish bile like that elsewhere?

imtommygunn

The mindset of "most" is not still the same - it's a pretty sweeping statement to make really. The mindset of some is still the same and the numbers are shrinking on that front.

Normal everyday people who are not bigoted don't make news stories. I don't know how you qualify that the mindset of most of the unionists / loyalists are still the same but if it's based on the DUP and newspapers it's not reflective to what I have encountered in everyday society pretty much all my adult life which was post GFA.

I didn't say anything about 1916 and no I don't need a history lesson. That sounded like an excuse to me.

(I have a season ticket to ROI by the way and live in the north. I don't know what world you live in)

tonto1888

Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 27, 2019, 03:44:59 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on March 27, 2019, 02:37:46 PM

IRA songs about 1916?

The IFA cant control it, but my point is that the mindset of most of the unionist/loyalists are still the same

I've heard a lot of Irish rebel songs and I've never heard let alone joined in any song berating another religion or any religion

That's got to be unique to the north of iteland/unionist/loyalists in the six counties... or has anyone come across any rubbish bile like that elsewhere?

This particular song was done by rangers fan before a Glasgow derby a couple years ago. That's where I first saw it.

michaelg

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 27, 2019, 02:19:17 PM
Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on March 27, 2019, 01:51:29 PM

Etc.. Etc..

/Jim.

/Jim.

Belfast prods have a bit more class, and wouldnt been 'seen' singing that shite.  ::)

With it up on FB and twitter there were videos of 'Irish club/international football' supporters singing the "Oh ah, up the ra" and other songs in a bar somewhere. would that be classed as a sectarian song to people from the orange side of the road?
Yes, songs and chants that glorify IRA terrorism would be perceived as sectarian by "the orange side of the  road".  There is a fair degree of double standards when it comes to these matters.  An earlier poster on here, for example, quoted a Priest who said that 99% of sectarian behaviour comes from one side of the community.  Those videos referred to by MR2 above must be the other 1%.

Videos such as the "Tiffany" one get more media attention as the IFA clearly has more to lose when these incidents surface (i.e. Young catholics declaring for the ROI and catholics continuing to stay away from WP).  The FAI on the other hand doesn't really have any interest in attracting Protestants in NI to either support or play for the ROI team.  In addition, Nationalists and Republicans in the North will continue to follow the ROI team, even when more extreme elements from the ROI support wade in with their 'Up the Ras' and what have you.   

Main Street

Quote from: haranguerer on March 27, 2019, 12:23:12 PM
The song wasn't played accidentally. Its a common refrain at loyalist events, and I'm surprised more hadn't heard it.

This is a very good podcast, and this episode shouldn't leave you in any doubt about how common it is.

https://theirishpassport.com/podcast/s2-episode-9-the-glorious-twelfth/

Talk about the innocents on bonfire night walking in to the lions den, holding hands, wearing flowers in their hair.
The bit where the intrepid podcasters were getting trapped inside the paddock near the bonfire, suddenly felt they had to escape and in order to escape safely they had to don an aura of happiness while being shit scared. They got stuck fast in the middle of a large section of the crowd who were jumping up and down singing "We hate Catholics, We hate Catholics" and they were the hated group, traveling incognito.
"I knew it would be bad but I wasn't prepared for the full force of the hate that was emanating all around us"
the podcaster remarked - in the understatement of the year.

dec

Quote from: Over the Bar on March 27, 2019, 09:50:08 AM
As Cardinal O'Fiaich said 99% of the sectarianism in Ulster comes from one section of the community only.

That isn't quite what he said.

I can't find the original quote, only people referring to it, but the jist of what he said was the Protestant bigotry was mostly religious and Catholic bigotry was mostly political.

This of course got him criticised at the time by people who only concentrated on the Protestant/religious bigotry part of what he said, rather than noting that he had talked about bigotry on both sides.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 27, 2019, 03:59:34 PM
The mindset of "most" is not still the same - it's a pretty sweeping statement to make really. The mindset of some is still the same and the numbers are shrinking on that front.

Normal everyday people who are not bigoted don't make news stories. I don't know how you qualify that the mindset of most of the unionists / loyalists are still the same but if it's based on the DUP and newspapers it's not reflective to what I have encountered in everyday society pretty much all my adult life which was post GFA.

I didn't say anything about 1916 and no I don't need a history lesson. That sounded like an excuse to me.

(I have a season ticket to ROI by the way and live in the north. I don't know what world you live in)
Excuse my hole. It is what it is.
If anything it's an excuse for those looking to take offence.
That's the usual bs from unionist/loyalist/north of Ireland fans..

Ok I will say that I cant quantify numbers.. but unfortunately there are still too many shows of unionist/loyalist triumphalism, ... orange order marches, these marches now looking to take place in 100% nationalist areas that they've never been held in before etc etc
Yeah the DUP are the fulcrum... but they get voted in dont they!

I'm glad you've a season ticket for Ireland.
Is that a euphemism?

I'm glad also you are seeing a change in some attitudes. The video shows the vitriol is still there. It's there mostly from o e side. Rats in a corner

imtommygunn

Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 27, 2019, 07:46:30 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on March 27, 2019, 03:59:34 PM

Excuse my hole. It is what it is.
If anything it's an excuse for those looking to take offence.
That's the usual bs from unionist/loyalist/north of Ireland fans..

Ok I will say that I cant quantify numbers.. but unfortunately there are still too many shows of unionist/loyalist triumphalism, ... orange order marches, these marches now looking to take place in 100% nationalist areas that they've never been held in before etc etc
Yeah the DUP are the fulcrum... but they get voted in dont they!

I'm glad you've a season ticket for Ireland.
Is that a euphemism?

I'm glad also you are seeing a change in some attitudes. The video shows the vitriol is still there. It's there mostly from o e side. Rats in a corner

You probably don't even see any irony in the vitriol you just posted.

David McKeown

I don't think the IFA are completely blameless in all of this. We have to remember it's an organisation willing to take players to court to stop them playing for their country. An organisation that has already somehow got the FAI to ignore under age players who are eligible and an organisation that has seemingly given little in return. I know that's an unpopular opinion but when the official position of the IFA is to de facto ignore the Good Friday Agreement as well as long established FIFA rules its hardly surprising that it would attract such fans.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: David McKeown on March 27, 2019, 10:42:05 PM
I don't think the IFA are completely blameless in all of this. We have to remember it's an organisation willing to take players to court to stop them playing for their country. An organisation that has already somehow got the FAI to ignore under age players who are eligible and an organisation that has seemingly given little in return. I know that's an unpopular opinion but when the official position of the IFA is to de facto ignore the Good Friday Agreement as well as long established FIFA rules its hardly surprising that it would attract such fans.

The big opportunity to move on was the stadium but to decide to stay and redevelop windsor with all its baggage was idiotic. Former players like Magilton felt it had to be somewhere else. The IFA have made a lot of progress but then just ignore the actual big elephants in the room.