Idiot

Started by Gaoth Dobhair Abu, July 11, 2007, 10:37:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Obviously not the brightest bulb in the shop!

Whats the stupidest thing you have ever done??

Man flies to wedding a year early 

The wedding is due to take place in July 2008, not 2007
A teacher flew home to Wales from Toronto in Canada for a wedding, only to discover he was one year early.
Dave Barclay, 34, mistakenly thought Dave Best was marrying on 6 July 2007 after he e-mailed him at the start of the year and started making plans.

It was only when he arrived back at his mother's in Wenvoe near Cardiff he realised he had travelled 4,000 miles for a wedding 12 months away.

"I am a year early - yeah, my mates are loving it, aren't they," he said.

Mr Barclay, who has been teaching in Toronto for three years, admitted he had assumed the big day was this July when he received his friend's e-mail.

"I occasionally come home for weddings and my mate, Dave Best, e-mailed me at the start of the year to say he's having a wedding - July 6," he told BBC Radio Wales.

Well, at least it's assured me a mention in the speech next year, I reckon.

Dave Barclay

"So I booked my ticket, paid £500 to fly into Cardiff, got the old suit cleaned, the goatee trimmed, the head shaved - I was going to be the belle of the ball."

The teacher added: "I called his mum to find his number and then I called him up and I said, 'When and where is this wedding? It's in a couple of days and I'd just like to know where I'm going.'

"He said to me, 'Mate it's not this year, it's next year - 2008 not 2007."'

Once he realised his mistake, Mr Barclay said a handful of other oddities began to make sense, like the fact that his friend's mother never mentioned the wedding when he called her.

He said he had deleted the original e-mail sent by his friend.

Asking the time

"He just said July the 6th and I assumed it was this year because if you tell the guy July 6th, they're going to think it's this year.

Instead, he blamed his girlfriend who he said "usually takes care of that kind of things".

His friends back in Wales are now ribbing him asking him the time and showing him newspapers.

But Mr Barclay admitted he had not been able to tell his friend the total truth about what happened.

"He said to me you didn't come home specially for the wedding did you and I lied and said no. And he said "Thank God for that, I thought you were going to charge me for the cost of the (plane) ticket and the present then."

"Well, at least it's assured me a mention in the speech next year, I reckon."

Who on the board is brave enough to let us know the stupidiest thing that they have done!!!

Tbc....

ziggysego

Any relation to Tony Fearon?  :D
Testing Accessibility

Shamrock Shore

I'm a bigger idiot.

I turned up to mine   ???

ziggysego

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on July 11, 2007, 11:26:40 AM
I'm a bigger idiot.

I turned up to mine   ???

Badda-Bing Badda-Boom  :D
Testing Accessibility

MauriceMalpas

Its not really that bad to be fair.

pintsofguinness

QuoteWho on the board is brave enough to let us know the stupidiest thing that they have done!!!
I made banana sandwiches one night and was amazed when I opened the lunch box the next day to find they were...well...rotten.

:-[
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Shamrock Shore

I once put milk into a Soda Stream!

Man - that was some mess  :-[

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Came home one night from the Bot and decided to heat up a pizza, woke up in the morning and remembered the pizza, turned off the oven and I had a charcoal frizbee..!!  :-[
Tbc....

Gabriel_Hurl

them Toronto wans are a bit stupid  :D :D :D

mannix

Flushed a toilet that was diconnected from the sewer pipe on the upstairs of a house that was being extended.All came down into new kitchen right beside a carpenter that everyone hated.I realised after hearing all the screaming that I better hide or get killed by him.Severe embarrassment but they were all thick yokes anyway and would shite into plastic buckets and put the lid on, waiting for someone to open it up for ready mixed plaster compound.
Also forgot my new girlfriends name when asked to introduce her, needless to say she told me f off later that night.

The Real Laoislad

Two of the most idiotic and embarrassing things i've ever done happened when i was a apprentice

The first was when i came down through a brand new freshly plastered ceiling the poor plasterer had spent the whole day doing it and just as he was packing up his tools down i come feet first right in the middle of the ceiling :-[

The second and probaly the worst was when i was drilling through a wall as i needed to pull a cable through for a extra socket.I couldn't understand why it was taking so long to drill through as it was only a 4" wall when sunddenly out of the very hole i was drilling came this trickle of water,I pulled out the drill bit and that trickle turned to a gush of water,I was after drilling through the f**king hot water cylinder.. :-[ :-[ :-[
You'll Never Walk Alone.

pintsofguinness

I  don't know if this would come under embarrassing or stupid but I'm reminded of it...
Friend of mine (no, not me), we'll call him Peter went into cafe one day and got a cup of tea and kit kat.  Sat down at a table with it and realised there was no sugar in the tea so headed back to the counter for some, turned round and found another man sitting in his seat biting into a kit kat!  Peter being amazed and pissed that someone was eating his kit kat went over and lifted the rest of it from under yer man's nose and sat at another table, ate away and threw yer  man dirty looks at the same time.  The man looked gob smacked, probably the embarrassment at being caught and couldn't look Peter in the eye as he was leaving.  Peter got to his car and reached into his pocket for the keys and what does he find, a f**king Kit Kat! 

maddog

Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 11, 2007, 03:53:57 PM
I  don't know if this would come under embarrassing or stupid but I'm reminded of it...
Friend of mine (no, not me), we'll call him Peter went into cafe one day and got a cup of tea and kit kat.  Sat down at a table with it and realised there was no sugar in the tea so headed back to the counter for some, turned round and found another man sitting in his seat biting into a kit kat!  Peter being amazed and pissed that someone was eating his kit kat went over and lifted the rest of it from under yer man's nose and sat at another table, ate away and threw yer  man dirty looks at the same time.  The man looked gob smacked, probably the embarrassment at being caught and couldn't look Peter in the eye as he was leaving.  Peter got to his car and reached into his pocket for the keys and what does he find, a f**king Kit Kat! 

On a similar vein i was for doing some DIY at the house and i rang this hire shop on the high street and asked the guy if i could hire a belt sander. Yer man says no problem collect it tomorrow. So i took the next day off work to do this sanding and i walks into the shop and tells him i have the belt sander reserved. He says all the belt sanders are out on hire. So i rear up shit on him giving out about taking the day off, and what sort of fuckin clown was he etc etc. So he made a couple of calls and got me a sander. I walks out of the shop still muttering under the breath with the sander under the arm only to see the "other" hire shop across the road, the one i had actually called the night before. ::)

pintsofguinness

And did he see the funny side of it when you went back and apologised?

maddog

Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 11, 2007, 04:25:42 PM
And did he see the funny side of it when you went back and apologised?

In situations like that pints you quit while you are ahead.