Mayo v Armagh- Round 3 Qualifier

Started by Mayo4Sam14, June 24, 2019, 11:42:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halfquarter

Quote from: macdanger2 on June 26, 2019, 09:38:06 PM
Very disappointing for DOC

Armagh @ 11/4 are definitely worth a few quid for anyone from the orchard County
Bookies rarely get the odds wrong but they have slipped up on Mayo a few times .

moysider

Every Mayo person knows the game is up. As it turns out injuries as well as age have done us for sure.
Mayo now remind me of my old ageing Labrador dogs. They used to look sprightly enough 10/11 years of age and could do pretty much what they always did. But it's like there s a time bomb attached to their DNA.  They might make 13 but not many labs make 14.
Mayo reminds me of those old dogs. The fans/ owners want them to wind the clock back but that is impossible. The injuries to Parsons, Ruane and Diarmuid are health complications that just comes for the death in case fans/ owners are under any illusions that things might get better. Under the circumstances making the Super 8s  would be a very good year.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: moysider on June 26, 2019, 11:39:52 PM
Every Mayo person knows the game is up. As it turns out injuries as well as age have done us for sure.
Mayo now remind me of my old ageing Labrador dogs. They used to look sprightly enough 10/11 years of age and could do pretty much what they always did. But it's like there s a time bomb attached to their DNA.  They might make 13 but not many labs make 14.
Mayo reminds me of those old dogs. The fans/ owners want them to wind the clock back but that is impossible. The injuries to Parsons, Ruane and Diarmuid are health complications that just comes for the death in case fans/ owners are under any illusions that things might get better. Under the circumstances making the Super 8s  would be a very good year.
Bedad moy, aisy on there or you will upset rosnarun! :D
I wasn't half as downbeat as that and it seemed to upset him.Come to thonk of it, you agreed sorta with him.
Dunno what's going on around the place at all.
Dunno what's going on with Team Mayo either but I'll hold off the obituary notices just yet.
I was happier leaving Newry than I was going there- not ecstatic or anything close to it but I did see some signs of hope. There could be a bit of life in them oul' Labradors yet.
The team is nowhere near good enough to trouble the Dubs but they were steeped in luck to survive during the qualifiers in years gone by. The game against Fermanagh is one of these games that comes to mind.
Okay, they haven't reproduced the form in the c'ships they showed against Kerry in both league games but they haven't completely lost the touch either.
I see a bit of hope in some of the younger members of the panel and a few that never managed to nail down a starting place yet.
Your townie, young Regan is one of them. Darren Coen  and Conor Loftus as well as Fionn McDonagh are showing good form as some of the older lads are showing a bit of mileage on the clock.
There are two things I found  unusual about Mayo starting off the championship this time around and both may give a glimmer of hope yet.
For starters, there are a lot more with a realistic chance of claiming a berth than in any other year I can remember and the most promising ones are forwards.
If Cillian returns and can get back some of his old drive, like his YPOTY days, he'd be a massive asset for any team. Right now, I think we got a good draw in Armagh. There would have been no good in getting one of the weaker sides in the draw. Provide the team knuckle down to business, we should survive a  tough test and in better shape to face whoever comes next.
The ironic thing is that I can't see any of the others putting it up to Dublin this year, except Donegal as a very long shot. I'm not holding out too much hope for anything but I think we may have a bit to go yet.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

moysider

Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 27, 2019, 04:33:19 PM
Bedad moy, aisy on there or you will upset rosnarun! :D
I wasn't half as downbeat as that and it seemed to upset him.Come to thonk of it, you agreed sorta with him.
Dunno what's going on around the place at all.
Dunno what's going on with Team Mayo either but I'll hold off the obituary notices just yet.
I was happier leaving Newry than I was going there- not ecstatic or anything close to it but I did see some signs of hope. There could be a bit of life in them oul' Labradors yet.
The team is nowhere near good enough to trouble the Dubs but they were steeped in luck to survive during the qualifiers in years gone by. The game against Fermanagh is one of these games that comes to mind.
Okay, they haven't reproduced the form in the c'ships they showed against Kerry in both league games but they haven't completely lost the touch either.
I see a bit of hope in some of the younger members of the panel and a few that never managed to nail down a starting place yet.
Your townie, young Regan is one of them. Darren Coen  and Conor Loftus as well as Fionn McDonagh are showing good form as some of the older lads are showing a bit of mileage on the clock.
There are two things I found  unusual about Mayo starting off the championship this time around and both may give a glimmer of hope yet.
For starters, there are a lot more with a realistic chance of claiming a berth than in any other year I can remember and the most promising ones are forwards.
If Cillian returns and can get back some of his old drive, like his YPOTY days, he'd be a massive asset for any team. Right now, I think we got a good draw in Armagh. There would have been no good in getting one of the weaker sides in the draw. Provide the team knuckle down to business, we should survive a  tough test and in better shape to face whoever comes next.
The ironic thing is that I can't see any of the others putting it up to Dublin this year, except Donegal as a very long shot. I'm not holding out too much hope for anything but I think we may have a bit to go yet.

Yeah. What I was talking about was this team in general though. Sure there are some good lads coming along but.....
A fit Tom Parsons could have been around a few years to transition the team. Cillian has been winged with injuries from the start of his career.  Now we've lost Ruane and O Connor the Younger. They are hits that cannot be addressed in the short term. Summer championship is short term of course.

armaghniac

Being happier leaving Newry is a common phenomenon!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Tubberman

Mayo host Armagh tomorrow evening in Round 3 of the Football qualifiers at Intersport Elverys MacHale Park at 7pm.

James Horan makes four changes to this starting team with Michael Plunkett, Donal Vaughan, Fergal Boland & Mikey Murray all named to start. The players to miss out are Colm Boyle, Diarmuid O'Connor(injured), Jason Doherty & Darren Coen.

1. David Clarke – Ballina Stephenites
2. Chris Barrett – Belmullet
3. Brendan Harrison – Aghamore
4. Keith Higgins – Ballyhaunis
5. Lee Keegan – Westport
6. Michael Plunkett – Ballintubber
7. Patrick Durcan – Castlebar Mitchels(C)
8. Donal Vaughan – Castlebar Mitchels
9. Aidan O'Shea – Breaffy
10. Fionn McDonagh – Westport
11. Conor Loftus – Crossmolina Deel Rovers
12. Mikey Murray – Ballina Stephenites
13. Kevin McLoughlin – Knockmore
14. Andy Moran – Ballaghaderreen
15. Fergal Boland – Aghamore
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Crete Boom

Quote from: Tubberman on June 28, 2019, 10:01:19 AM
Mayo host Armagh tomorrow evening in Round 3 of the Football qualifiers at Intersport Elverys MacHale Park at 7pm.

James Horan makes four changes to this starting team with Michael Plunkett, Donal Vaughan, Fergal Boland & Mikey Murray all named to start. The players to miss out are Colm Boyle, Diarmuid O'Connor(injured), Jason Doherty & Darren Coen.

5. Lee Keegan – Westport

Interesting team, Darren Coen is very unlucky to miss out, unless he has picked up an injury. Delighted for Mikey Murray he has been playing great football for the Stephenites after a run of injuries. Good to see Loftus getting a run in the team and good to see Plunkett back in at CHB.

highorlow

Happy with that team, full back line is still a concern, probably won't matter tomorrow as it's a team set up to dominate the middle and starve Armagh of possession.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Tubberman

My main concern would be half-forwards - in that we have 2 in the FF line, and have a very inexperienced starting HF line. Would have thought it would make more sense to start Darren Coen or James Carr (assuming COC still not available).
Maybe that will happen yet.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Crete Boom on June 28, 2019, 10:12:38 AM
Quote from: Tubberman on June 28, 2019, 10:01:19 AM

5. Lee Keegan – Westport

Interesting team, Darren Coen is very unlucky to miss out, unless he has picked up an injury. Delighted for Mikey Murray he has been playing great football for the Stephenites after a run of injuries. Good to see Loftus getting a run in the team and good to see Plunkett back in at CHB.
Same as that. I thought Darren Coen would be a shoo-in but maybe he is injured.Interesting that four of the forwards are relative newcomers, Andy and Kevin Mac are the only ones you could call veterans. Hope Mikey rises to the occasion.  I too heard he is in great form at the moment. Midfield is fine. Backs may be a problem. Loose marking could cost us dear. I think the HB line is sound and Chris Barrett is in flying form but he mightn't last the full stretch. I wonder why EOD is out of favour- stlll, JH knows more than I do. (But I do wonder at times!  ;D)
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Farrandeelin

I can only foresee one change. Darren Coen in at full forward, McLoughlin moving to half forwards, with Murray going to midfield instead of Vaughan.

However I'll be proven wrong I'd say.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Tubberman

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 28, 2019, 11:56:01 AM
I can only foresee one change. Darren Coen in at full forward, McLoughlin moving to half forwards, with Murray going to midfield instead of Vaughan.

However I'll be proven wrong I'd say.

That seems more than 1 change to me Farr ;)

seafoid

The only teams to put it up to the Dubs since 2012 were Donegal , Kerry and Mayo
Donegal and Kerry both fell away and are on the way back
Mayo kept going but now look like they need a bit of time out
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Blowitupref

Quote from: seafoid on June 28, 2019, 12:56:03 PM

The only teams to put it up to the Dubs since 2012 were Donegal , Kerry and Mayo
Donegal and Kerry both fell away and are on the way back
Mayo kept going but now look like they need a bit of time out

Mayo had their time out last year, a June championship exit and i doubt they will want history to repeat itself tomorrow. Kerry have a bit to go before getting back to the level of 3 years ago when they pushed Dublin all the way in that semi final. Donegal should be aim to go one better and reach the AI semi final this summer.

Back in 2012 Meath were still putting it up to Dublin and the Leinster final back then had attendance of close to 70,000.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

joemamas

Quote from: Tubberman on June 28, 2019, 10:55:28 AM
My main concern would be half-forwards - in that we have 2 in the FF line, and have a very inexperienced starting HF line. Would have thought it would make more sense to start Darren Coen or James Carr (assuming COC still not available).
Maybe that will happen yet.

Watched the limited highlights of both Mayo v Down and Armagh V Monaghan for the second time last night.

Armagh really try to run at you, especially their half back line, and given the success that Down had last week, you can expect loads of it. I think Boland will end up playing wing forward and spending a lot of time in the midfield area to counter some of that threat.

Hope to God we can win.