No
37 (20.7%)
Not sure
16 (8.9%)

Total Members Voted: 179

Voting closed: July 31, 2018, 12:59:52 PM

mrdeeds

Quote from: thewobbler on July 24, 2018, 10:04:01 PM
There is an unnecessary shit stirring show surrounding this one imho.

Of course it can be done. But that doesn't mean it should be done.

The GAA has no policies/rates/procedures for renting out any ground other than Croke Park, let alone for hiring out to a committee who've little or no experience in running such an event.

And being blunt about it, a rate card needs devised and made very clear to all comers, before any event is mooted for hosting.

The public shouldn't decide whether it's the GAA's role to get involved. The break even point should decide.

For if not, then where do we draw the line on who gets use of our stadia? If Ronan O'Gara wanted to hold a testimonial match in PuC, do we just say "ah f**k yeah Ronan, not a bother, sure we all love you in Cork"? Or do we get to the reality of the situation, that building, maintaining and insuring large stadia costs a fuckload of cash, and if you want it, you need to pay your share.

But they have already have had concerts here? Salthill too? There's a concert in Thurles soon.

Syferus

Quote from: thewobbler on July 24, 2018, 11:20:21 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 24, 2018, 11:14:11 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on July 24, 2018, 10:55:02 PM
I'm not disagreeing entirely with you Baile Brogin, as there are some genuinely Neanderthal hypocrites attached to the GAA.

But give €30m to boxing or athletics and you're basically giving about a €5,000 grant per half serious competitior in each sport.

It's more like €2 per competitor in GAA. And that before you begin gauging public interest.
Soccer could take that line and raise you...

This is the main problem i have with the hierarchy. Say yes and they are the good guys. Say no and there is a national debate about state funding and rule 42. And its not going well.

But soccer can't raise, not even close. The combined league of Ireland attendance for a fortnight would fit in a Croke Park.

It's public interest that allows the GAA to build 30k stadia. It's through an ethos of investing money and time into community-focused sport that generates such a public interest.

I'm a huge soccer fan. But it's a problem child compared to the GAA. There's no guarantee that 30m would be spent perfectly in the GAA, only that it would be spent immeasurably better than in any other sport. The history is there to prove this.

It's through the help of public funds they built this one and most others that have been renovated in the modern era. You haven't a leg to stand on here whether you realise it or not. You don't get to have your hand out and then pull it back when that same public want you to adhere to what you agreed to do. There is literally no argument of any substance that you are making.

giveballaghback

Once again I will say it, money should not be raised on the back of ordinary supporters, Liam Millers sport is a multi billion euro business, he has played for 2 of the richest soccer clubs in the world, surely it is his sports responsibility to fund whatever needs funding, a mere drop in the ocean to them.
The gaa have put proper facilities in every county in Ireland, the best a multi billion euro business can do is a 7000 thousand seater cabbage patch in our second city, and the public expect the gaa to fill the breech when Turners cross is not adequate.

mrdeeds

Quote from: giveballaghback on July 25, 2018, 01:11:17 AM
Once again I will say it, money should not be raised on the back of ordinary supporters, Liam Millers sport is a multi billion euro business, he has played for 2 of the richest soccer clubs in the world, surely it is his sports responsibility to fund whatever needs funding, a mere drop in the ocean to them.
The gaa have put proper facilities in every county in Ireland, the best a multi billion euro business can do is a 7000 thousand seater cabbage patch in our second city, and the public expect the gaa to fill the breech when Turners cross is not adequate.

The FAI is a multi billion euro business???? The GAA has more revenue. My taxes paid for PUC and my money funds the GAA

Rossfan

Well said Ballagh.
My taxes paid 100 % for a free stadium for Shamrock Rovers.
No GAA games there though!
And nobody "outraged"
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Rossfan on July 25, 2018, 01:22:43 AM
Well said Ballagh.
My taxes paid 100 % for a free stadium for Shamrock Rovers.
No GAA games there though!
And nobody "outraged"
There are GAA games there...

Its a municipal stadium used by all sorts of groups. No Rule 42 in place. Their website even has a booking enquiery tab.

Thats not a sensible or valid comparison.

Rossfan

Tell me about the GAA games in Tallaght Stadium.
Tell me Shamrocks haven't got a sweetheart deal.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: giveballaghback on July 25, 2018, 01:11:17 AM
Antrim? Where the GAA  recently got the IRFU to 'fill the breech (sic)'to raise money for Anto Finnegan?
If Turners Cross is a 'cabbage patch', what is Casement, in our actual second city?

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Rossfan on July 25, 2018, 01:38:12 AM

Cuman na mbun Scoil regularly played there.

Google is your friend.

https://www.dublingaa.ie/news/finals-day-success-in-dublin-feile-na-ngael

Of course rovers got a good deal, undeservedly, but its unquestionably worked for the area and makes a profit. But the facility is in constant use from corporate gigs to car boot sales and loads of sports.  I think the Gaels need to back off that one, history hasnt been kind to Thomas Davis on that one.

I think we all know what would happen if a local gaa club approached the council to use the place for a fundraiser.

Rossfan

Casement has been demolished and redevelopment has been held up on planning issues and lack of an Executive.

Syferus

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 25, 2018, 01:44:26 AM

Google is your friend.

Of course rovers got a good deal, undeservedly, but its unquestionably worked for the area and makes a profit. But the facility is in constant use from corporate gigs to car boot sales and loads of sports.  I think the Gaels need to back off that one, history hasnt been kind to Thomas Davis on that one.

I think we all know what would happen if a local gaa club approached the council to use the place for a fundraiser.

Rossfan has been embarrassed, again.

stephenite

Quote from: thewobbler on July 24, 2018, 11:22:54 PM
Quote from: stephenite on July 24, 2018, 11:18:52 PM
I'd nationalise all stadiums over 20K capacity and have them managed by local councils. Absolutely crazy that we are even in this situation.

Communism doesn't work. The lazy get lazier, the hardworking try to leave, and only the politicians gain. Go read Animal farm.

Tongue half in cheek, however the point I am trying to make is as follows;

I currently live in Australia, and i am sitting at my desk overlooking Etihad Stadium in Melbourne, this stadium (along with 2 others in the city) manage to host;

- International Rugby Union games
- International Soccer games
- Weekly Club rugby games (seasonal)
- Weekly A league soccer games (seasonal)
- Weekly AFL games(seasonal)
- Cricket test matches (1 stadium)
- Weekly cricket T20 games (seasonal)

In addition to above Sydney also hosts Rugby league games and Internationals as does Brisbane.

Now not all of these are publicly owned but in essence the model is that they are publicly owned and run by 'Trusts' who manage the upkeep and revenue generation.

It appears to work.

I refuse to accept any argument that we should not allow this Charity event to proceed.

I also think it should open a wider discussion on Stadia use and ownership in Ireland - it's a ludicrous situation that enables stupid decisions like Newbridge occurring.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Rossfan on July 25, 2018, 01:47:16 AM
Casement has been demolished and redevelopment has been held up on planning issues and lack of an Executive.
This we know. But the snide comments directed at soccer for having a facility and looking at a once off bigger gate werent directed internally when the IRFU were asked for a lend when there isnt even a facility there. Its blatant hypocricy.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Syferus on July 25, 2018, 01:48:45 AM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 25, 2018, 01:44:26 AM

Google is your friend.

Rossfan has been embarrassed, again.
Anyone with a cursory understanding of Dublin Gaelic games would know that its a stadium available to the GAA. Has he been stewing in his juices over that for years based on fundamental ignorance?

That bitter a row and they can all play nice now. There is a lesson there, not 100% sure what, but there is one.

trailer

How do Soccer people look at the stadium issue across the country. Are they embarrassed that they haven't got one decent stadium in Munster?

The GAA should open it up. And I am confident that they will get there eventually. Some people should let it go and stop using it as a stick to beat them with.