Row in Mayo LGFA

Started by Seany, July 11, 2018, 08:57:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dublin7

Quote from: priceyreilly on September 18, 2018, 10:32:42 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on September 18, 2018, 10:22:48 PM
Sorry but for wumming to be successful it needs to be reasonably believable.

Not wumming son, just like I wasn't wumming when I pointed out that Dublin have been bought 54 titles since 2005! You disapeared soon after that.  ;D

I'm not your son & can only hope we're not related. It is impressive though how you managed to have a rant at the dubs over an internal mayo matter

sid waddell

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 18, 2018, 10:56:00 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on September 18, 2018, 10:28:29 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on September 18, 2018, 09:45:00 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on September 18, 2018, 09:36:54 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on September 18, 2018, 09:26:10 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on September 18, 2018, 09:16:31 PM
The kindest thing you could say about Peter Leahy is that he comes across as a dinosaur.

Whatever has actually gone on here and the rights and wrongs of it, he has no business continuing in the job.

The reality is he has presided over a poor championship campaign for Mayo and more importantly alienated half the panel.

Only a pig ignorant gobshite would choose to continue in such circumstances and the Mayo board come out of this very badly too for how they set up Carnacon.

"alienated half the panel" = attempting to drop some senior players who aren't quite as good as they used to be

I agree with HS though that attempting to ban the club was a foolish option, it creates a distraction and generates undue sympathy for those who walked away

But he has alienated half the panel. That's a massive management failure by any standards, as is Mayo's championship performance this year compared to last year when Leahy was not the manager. Clearly the best players were not on the pitch after the walkout by the 12 players. It's his job to put the best team on the pitch and he completely failed to do that.

By attempting to stay in the job, he's only making things worse for both himself and Mayo football.

In what way is he making things worse?
Is that a serious question?  ;D

Yes, serious question. In what way is he making things worse?

It's actually incredible that this has to be answered.

Because half the panel won't play for him and because Mayo women's football will be hopelessly and bitterly divided going forward. How will that benefit women's football in Mayo?

A new manager would at least give the team the chance to move forward. As it is, Leahys' position is untenable.

Leahy is in the exactly same position as Mickey Moran, Gerald McCarthy, Teddy Holland, Justin McCarthy, Noel Connelly and Pat Holmes and Anthony Cunningham were.

Most of those at least saw sense and stepped down sooner or later. Mickey Moran and Justin McCarthy didn't and tried to brazen it out. In neither case did things work out well.

priceyreilly

Quote from: blast05 on September 18, 2018, 11:01:58 PM
Quote from: priceyreilly on September 18, 2018, 10:36:34 PM
Quote from: blast05 on September 18, 2018, 10:29:27 PM
Quote from: priceyreilly on September 18, 2018, 10:11:44 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on September 18, 2018, 09:36:43 PM
Pace yourself, Pricey.
The secret to a good wum account is subtlety.
You need to put in the hours before you get the pay-off.

I've hit the nail on the head and you know it! The only thing that's not subtle is the anti women/feminist views that are clouding people's judgement on this.

I don't think it is anti anything to ask what peoples perception of the Tierney interview would have been if that had been a bloke that was talking and with an emotion loaded voice.
The reaction / thought process for most would have been the along the lines of "FFS, will you toughen up" (with many acknowledging that the perhaps the managers approach left a bit to be desired).

Shouldn't feminism demand that we apply the same standards of judgement when its a girl ??

The reaction to Roy Keane shows that the same standards aren't being applied!!

Yes, Roy Keanes man mgmt methods leave a bit to be desired.
Equally, the commentary on Harry Arter was typically along the lines of he needs to grow up / toughen up

You can apply the same generalizations to Leahy and Tierney

Yeah, exactly! Some people are using the Mayo scenario to have a go at women/feminism though. It's clear to see.

priceyreilly

Quote from: dublin7 on September 18, 2018, 11:02:18 PM
Quote from: priceyreilly on September 18, 2018, 10:32:42 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on September 18, 2018, 10:22:48 PM
Sorry but for wumming to be successful it needs to be reasonably believable.

Not wumming son, just like I wasn't wumming when I pointed out that Dublin have been bought 54 titles since 2005! You disapeared soon after that.  ;D

I'm not your son & can only hope we're not related. It is impressive though how you managed to have a rant at the dubs over an internal mayo matter

Where's the rant?  ;D Just pointing out why you have issues with my posts. It's because I destroyed you with facts on the other thread. Now back to the topic at hand.

befair

Was astonished to read that Mayo players get a meal after each training session; if so they are exceptionally well looked after, and the Mayo LGFA board must be exceptionally good at fund-raising. My daughter played for Down for years, and there was no such largesse

OffTheDeck

Quote from: priceyreilly on September 18, 2018, 11:20:49 PM
Pace yourself, Pricey.

I've hit the nail on the head and you know it! The only thing that's not subtle is the anti women/feminist views that are clouding people's judgement on this.

I don't think it is anti anything to ask what peoples perception of the Tierney interview would have been if that had been a bloke that was talking and with an emotion loaded voice.
The reaction / thought process for most would have been the along the lines of "FFS, will you toughen up" (with many acknowledging that the perhaps the managers approach left a bit to be desired).

Shouldn't feminism demand that we apply the same standards of judgement when its a girl ??

Equally, the commentary on Harry Arter was typically along the lines of he needs to grow up / toughen up

Yeah, exactly! Some people are using the Mayo scenario to have a go at women/feminism though. It's clear to see.
I don't know about having a go and hope I'm not but where does one draw the line between equal treatment and special treatment? Equality is a two way street is it not? The reason I ask is because I f this was a woman manager or a man/men's team this issue wouldn't even be being discussed (and let's be honest about it, probably laughed at) Colm Parkinson hit the nail on the head, being called lazy or having a lack of commitment is absolutely not a welfare issue and is pure waffle, if you cannot take criticism then top level sport isn't for you. These girls had a failed coup, threw the toys out of the pram, said a few things and have absolutely no decent evidence to back it up (and half a team who don't feel the same way might I add), now the whole thing is a farce with the club being kicked out etc. (Which I'm not sure I agree with although I do think there should be some form of repercussions) I wouldn't want them representing my county anyway so let the girls who do want to be there work away.

dublin7

Quote from: priceyreilly on September 18, 2018, 11:20:49 PM
Pace yourself, Pricey.

That's as clear as mud. You've brought in the dubs/feminism into an internal row which makes no sense. Sure why not go for that trick and make it a civil rights issue. What other issues do you thing you link into this row?

nrico2006

Surely this is far from over especially given the scandalous decision to ban 8 players for the championship.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

haranguerer

Quote from: priceyreilly on September 18, 2018, 07:48:29 PM
This is not giving off to each other, this is a form of bullying. It can't be denied, he was on a power trip and took delight in it.

"He basically said he didn't give a "f**k" about how many All Stars I had or what name I had made for myself in football. He was the manager and what he said goes this year."

"I knew what was coming. I was brought away from all players and all of management. It was like a personal attack that evening, I can only describe it as I've never felt so intimidated in my entire life.

"He told me I was getting absolutely roasted at training, that I was performing absolutely shite, that the reason I was distracted the previous night at training was because I was so caught up with going to him with this suggestion of bringing this guest player in.

"He was doing this action - 'you're listening to the others, you're listening to the others' - and I was standing back. He was getting visibly aggressive with me at this stage. It was probably the first time I stood up to him and said 'who are these others you're referring to? I don't understand what you're on about.'

"Peter had mistreated this player, excluded her from the team that evening and treated her really badly. Me and Denise were consoling her and Denise was apologising to this player.

"She was told she wasn't selected on the team that night on purpose and that she wasn't going to make the Connacht final squad. Two weeks beforehand to tell this to a player is not acceptable.

"While me and Denise were consoling this other player, the manager was upstairs having a laugh and joke with another girl who was good friends with the girl who was upset and saying 'oh you'll have a fun journey home tonight.'

Power trip  ;D

You're having a laugh. The above is bullshit, anyone hurt by any of it needs to have a look at themselves. I would say there are a lot of people having a serious think about whether they actually want to get involved in ladies football if this is the sort of shite thats flung around.

haranguerer

Quote from: hardstation on September 18, 2018, 07:21:41 PM
By the same token, if the players feel intimidated by the way he is delivering his criticism, they are fully entitled to tell him to shove it up his hole and opt out without the county board banning them from club football.

They didn't just walk out, they tried to orchestrate a mutiny. Very different things.

iorras

Quote from: nrico2006 on September 19, 2018, 08:09:15 AM
Surely this is far from over especially given the scandalous decision to ban 8 players for the championship.
Get the facts right, they didn't try and ban 8 players they tried to ban a club as that club withdrew their players from the county team. The Connacht council have now agreed that the club was in the wrong. you should read up a bit more on this before throwing your oar in.

macdanger2

Quote from: sid waddell on September 18, 2018, 11:15:24 PM

Because half the panel won't play for him and because Mayo women's football will be hopelessly and bitterly divided going forward. How will that benefit women's football in Mayo?

A new manager would at least give the team the chance to move forward. As it is, Leahys' position is untenable.

Leahy is in the exactly same position as Mickey Moran, Gerald McCarthy, Teddy Holland, Justin McCarthy, Noel Connelly and Pat Holmes and Anthony Cunningham were.

Most of those at least saw sense and stepped down sooner or later. Mickey Moran and Justin McCarthy didn't and tried to brazen it out. In neither case did things work out well.

So Peter Leahy resigns and this problem magically evaporates?

More than two thirds of the squad who backed him and "believe that no player welfare issues exist or have ever existed under the current management and categorically disagree with the statement issued in July by the individuals that departed the Mayo senior ladies panel regarding the welfare issues raised". He should just abandon those 26 players who called out the "failed coup" and backed him instead? I'm sure they'd appreciate being left in the lurch like that.

So say Leahy does resign and the best manager in the country is brought in, does he sit there with the threat of a coup hanging over him if he dares to drop certain players? Would those players be happy being benched by a new manager with excellent communication skills?

shark

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 19, 2018, 08:52:50 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on September 18, 2018, 11:15:24 PM

So Peter Leahy resigns and this problem magically evaporates?

More than two thirds of the squad who backed him and "believe that no player welfare issues exist or have ever existed under the current management and categorically disagree with the statement issued in July by the individuals that departed the Mayo senior ladies panel regarding the welfare issues raised". He should just abandon those 26 players who called out the "failed coup" and backed him instead? I'm sure they'd appreciate being left in the lurch like that.

So say Leahy does resign and the best manager in the country is brought in, does he sit there with the threat of a coup hanging over him if he dares to drop certain players? Would those players be happy being benched by a new manager with excellent communication skills?

Look at the history of pervious Mayo managers and how they got on with that group. They had to bring in a priest to train them at one stage as nobody else would touch it. Those select few players are unmanageable, unless they are allowed to exert control themselves.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: iorras on September 19, 2018, 08:33:20 AM
Get the facts right, they didn't try and ban 8 players they tried to ban a club as that club withdrew their players from the county team. The Connacht council have now agreed that the club was in the wrong. you should read up a bit more on this before throwing your oar in.

Was that not the result of the appeal? Quote from previous page. It's not terribly clear tbh.
Quote from: macdanger2 on September 18, 2018, 11:00:10 PM
From RTÉ

champions Carnacon will remain in this year's Championship following an appeal which was heard at tonight's Connacht Council meeting in Ballyhaunis.

The Mayo Ladies County Board had sought to have the club removed from the Championship on the grounds that they brought the game into disrepute, after the club withdrew eight players from the Mayo county team, due to apparent player welfare issues.

The club have been fined €500 and their eight county players have each been handed a four-week suspension.

Edit: Re-read your post and you were already aware.
Hasta la victoria siempre

tippabu

Quote from: iorras on September 19, 2018, 08:33:20 AM

Carnacon reinstated, the 8 players involved now hit with a 4 week ban. Wonder how many games they'll play in that period and how strong they are without the 8 if they can still get through mayo