Row in Mayo LGFA

Started by Seany, July 11, 2018, 08:57:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: hardstation on September 18, 2018, 04:38:38 PM
They weren't happy with how the management treated them (Rightly or wrongly can be debated forever) and they left.

That should have been the end of it.

For me, this all kicked off when they were banned from playing club championship. I still think that was a silly decision and I also think it was brought about due to the club being disliked by other clubs in Mayo.
The rest of these discussions should have been held behind closed doors.
Banning them from club championship got their backs up, brought the media attention to it and caused it to descend into shite.

Handled very badly.

For once you are right ''Handled very badly'' by Carnacon. Pulling eight -the guts of half a team of players mid championship can not be tolerated.

Two players ''Feelings'' were hurt because they were told their roles were lesser for the season ahead! They in turn decided to bully the situation by getting 6 other players to pull ship and getting their secretary to relay this message to the county board. Can you imagine the same thing happening in the Mens game? If the Mayo Ladies board don't make an example of this who is to stop this happening again?

There has to be serious consequences for serious actions?

iorras

I'm going to say I'm not suggesting anything, and this has no relevance to the conversation, it doesn't but its difficult to ask this question and not be accused of insinuating something. I'm not but am curious, so will ask it anyway,  is this the same Peter Leahy does anyone know?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/auctioneer-who-got-80000-in-scam-jailed-25952391.html   

shark

Quote from: iorras on September 18, 2018, 04:59:17 PM
I'm going to say I'm not suggesting anything, and this has no relevance to the conversation, it doesn't but its difficult to ask this question and not be accused of insinuating something. I'm not but am curious, so will ask it anyway,  is this the same Peter Leahy does anyone know?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/auctioneer-who-got-80000-in-scam-jailed-25952391.html

It is. But as you say, has no relevance to this thread.

screenexile

Do Mayo ladies nominate their captain from the previous years County Champions??

Always thought it a ridiculous system and surely hasn't helped Mayo's situation this year when the manager has a player foisted upon him as Captain who he doesn't really want to play!!!

Halfquarter

Quote from: shark on September 18, 2018, 05:02:19 PM
Quote from: iorras on September 18, 2018, 04:59:17 PM

It is. But as you say, has no relevance to this thread.

Nothing wrong with going to jail,  if on the other hand he was an auctioneer !!!

priceyreilly

The manager comes off as a bit of a bully.

TomDoodle

QuoteThe manager comes off as a bit of a bully.
On the contrary, he came across as very measured and professional in a long interview with C Parkinson. This guy is training a senior inter-county Mayo outfit with aspirations of winning an All Ireland - he's not training the Ballymagash u-12s. Its his job to give it to players straight, for the benefit of the players themselves and the team as a whole. If certain players can't handle criticism because they haven't had it in the past that's an issue for them.
Isn't it interesting that it's the most senior players, grown women in their 30s, who seem to have issues with Leahy? People will say that young girls have walked away too, but it's pretty obvious that as Carnacon players they had no other option. The remaining girls on the panel, who are younger in the main, have absolutely no issue with management and have stated that categorically.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: hardstation on September 18, 2018, 07:21:41 PM
By the same token, if the players feel intimidated by the way he is delivering his criticism, they are fully entitled to tell him to shove it up his hole and opt out without the county board banning them from club football.

Your head is up your hole.

By the sounds of it, any team you were ever in was never competitive enough to give off to each other for not coming up to standard.
i usse an speelchekor

priceyreilly

Quote from: TomDoodle on September 18, 2018, 06:59:40 PM
QuoteThe manager comes off as a bit of a bully.
On the contrary, he came across as very measured and professional in a long interview with C Parkinson. This guy is training a senior inter-county Mayo outfit with aspirations of winning an All Ireland - he's not training the Ballymagash u-12s. Its his job to give it to players straight, for the benefit of the players themselves and the team as a whole. If certain players can't handle criticism because they haven't had it in the past that's an issue for them.
Isn't it interesting that it's the most senior players, grown women in their 30s, who seem to have issues with Leahy? People will say that young girls have walked away too, but it's pretty obvious that as Carnacon players they had no other option. The remaining girls on the panel, who are younger in the main, have absolutely no issue with management and have stated that categorically.

Plenty of bullies and other forms of lowlifes can come across well in interviews. That tells us nothing. His actions towards some players on the Mayo panel tells us he's a bully. Maybe he decided to pick only on a certain few. He took delight in making a player cry! The phone calls and the roaring in one to one meetings doesn't paint a pretty picture. Now knowing his past history, painting him as a saint is futile.

priceyreilly

This is not giving off to each other, this is a form of bullying. It can't be denied, he was on a power trip and took delight in it.

"He basically said he didn't give a "f**k" about how many All Stars I had or what name I had made for myself in football. He was the manager and what he said goes this year."

"I knew what was coming. I was brought away from all players and all of management. It was like a personal attack that evening, I can only describe it as I've never felt so intimidated in my entire life.

"He told me I was getting absolutely roasted at training, that I was performing absolutely shite, that the reason I was distracted the previous night at training was because I was so caught up with going to him with this suggestion of bringing this guest player in.

"He was doing this action - 'you're listening to the others, you're listening to the others' - and I was standing back. He was getting visibly aggressive with me at this stage. It was probably the first time I stood up to him and said 'who are these others you're referring to? I don't understand what you're on about.'

"Peter had mistreated this player, excluded her from the team that evening and treated her really badly. Me and Denise were consoling her and Denise was apologising to this player.

"She was told she wasn't selected on the team that night on purpose and that she wasn't going to make the Connacht final squad. Two weeks beforehand to tell this to a player is not acceptable.

"While me and Denise were consoling this other player, the manager was upstairs having a laugh and joke with another girl who was good friends with the girl who was upset and saying 'oh you'll have a fun journey home tonight.'

Itchy

Quote from: priceyreilly on September 18, 2018, 07:48:29 PM
This is not giving off to each other, this is a form of bullying. It can't be denied, he was on a power trip and took delight in it.

"He basically said he didn't give a "f**k" about how many All Stars I had or what name I had made for myself in football. He was the manager and what he said goes this year."

"I knew what was coming. I was brought away from all players and all of management. It was like a personal attack that evening, I can only describe it as I've never felt so intimidated in my entire life.

"He told me I was getting absolutely roasted at training, that I was performing absolutely shite, that the reason I was distracted the previous night at training was because I was so caught up with going to him with this suggestion of bringing this guest player in.

"He was doing this action - 'you're listening to the others, you're listening to the others' - and I was standing back. He was getting visibly aggressive with me at this stage. It was probably the first time I stood up to him and said 'who are these others you're referring to? I don't understand what you're on about.'

"Peter had mistreated this player, excluded her from the team that evening and treated her really badly. Me and Denise were consoling her and Denise was apologising to this player.

"She was told she wasn't selected on the team that night on purpose and that she wasn't going to make the Connacht final squad. Two weeks beforehand to tell this to a player is not acceptable.

"While me and Denise were consoling this other player, the manager was upstairs having a laugh and joke with another girl who was good friends with the girl who was upset and saying 'oh you'll have a fun journey home tonight.'

Nope, not bullying unless you are an over sensitive little princess. Its elite sports, no room for pandering. Stuff needs to be said and people need feedback. If you cant take feedback you would be better doing something else with your time.

dublin7

Quote from: hardstation on September 18, 2018, 07:50:42 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on September 18, 2018, 07:42:52 PM
Quote from: hardstation on September 18, 2018, 07:21:41 PM
By the same token, if the players feel intimidated by the way he is delivering his criticism, they are fully entitled to tell him to shove it up his hole and opt out without the county board banning them from club football.

Your head is up your hole.

By the sounds of it, any team you were ever in was never competitive enough to give off to each other for not coming up to standard.
Please stop personally attacking me.
It seems to me that these players were not used to being spoken to in the way he spoke to them. Now, we can all say "I've heard worse" or "It's not that bad" or "They need to suck it up". The fact is they don't have to suck it up and as the saying goes "if they don't like it they know where the door is". Well, they decided to go out the door. It's their choice.

No the club withdrew them.

Really unimpressed with Sarah Tierney. So a player is cut from a county panel. S**t happens. It's happened before and will happen again. I doubt the manager took pleasure in it and I doubt that was what he as allegedly laughing at and even then it was nowhere near the girl in question.

Imagine telling a manager you want to bring in a coach to sort out the defending. You might as well tell him he's shit at his job. Go tell your boss tomorrow you want to bring a consultant as you think he/she isn't up to it. She's lucky she wasn't kicked off the panel that night.

Jinxy

Listened to Sarah Tierney.
Seems like at the core of all this is a personal issue between her and Leahy, with two of them in it.
Not impressed by her trying to drag other players into it to make it sound like there was a systemic issue though.
A player was crying in the car park because she was dropped.
Understandable she'd be upset, but women (and I should be on safe enough ground here) tend to cry a bit more than men do.
So I don't think that's particularly noteworthy.
I don't think she was 'mistreated'.
We've probably all been that soldier at some stage.
To be honest, if they were a bit more restrained in the language they've used, they'd have a lot more sympathy.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

macdanger2

Mayo County secretary came across well on OTB I thought. He was definitely asked tougher questions (albeit nothing you wouldn't expect) than Cora got though

ballinaman

Anyone see the Cora documentary on TG4 the last night. Thought the way the GWS Giants manager communicated with her was interesting, very pally basically. I'd say the complete opposite of Leahy when she came back, doubt it sat well..