Row in Mayo LGFA

Started by Seany, July 11, 2018, 08:57:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mourne Red

Quote from: Westside on September 18, 2018, 01:12:22 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on September 18, 2018, 12:56:02 PM
A couple of fairly serious allegations in there.
I dunno what Peter Leahy does for a living, but I'm sure he has female colleagues.
Now we're getting into legal territory.

What in there is serious?

This won't go legal. The statements aren't clearly defamatory really and even if they were, they can be argued as truth. Leahy should have enough between the ears to stay well away from a solicitors office.

For all the giving of about equality and gender pay gap etc - The statement from Tierney if factual its not as if this doesn't go on in Mens club or county teams? Had disagreements and arguments with managers myself and been subbed off early or made last sub, get the head down and work.. Hardly mental health issues.

Jinxy

"He was doing this action - 'you're listening to the others, you're listening to the others' - and I was standing back. He was getting visibly aggressive with me at this stage. It was probably the first time I stood up to him and said 'who are these others you're referring to? I don't understand what you're on about.'

"The conversation ended that night, but I swore driving home from training that night that I wouldn't be in a one-on-one situation with him again unless the liaison officer was there. I felt totally intimidated."

Forget about football and imagine this was an employee talking about the line manager in her place of work.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Mourne Red

Quote from: Jinxy on September 18, 2018, 01:22:21 PM
"He was doing this action - 'you're listening to the others, you're listening to the others' - and I was standing back. He was getting visibly aggressive with me at this stage. It was probably the first time I stood up to him and said 'who are these others you're referring to? I don't understand what you're on about.'

"The conversation ended that night, but I swore driving home from training that night that I wouldn't be in a one-on-one situation with him again unless the liaison officer was there. I felt totally intimidated."

Forget about football and imagine this was an employee talking about the line manager in her place of work.

Liason officer was never contacted about this though was she? Easy to twist it round, notice physically aggressive wasn't used, they are picking and choosing their words very carefully

GalwayBayBoy

It reads like a simple enough personality clash between the captain and the manager really whch would not be uncommon in GAA circles. In fact she comes across as someone with a lot to say for herself towards management about training and tactics and no doubt selection as well. You can see how this would begin to grate on management after a while. And vice versa.

They could have just said at the very beginning that they don't like the manager and his methods and been done with it without insinuating at more sinister things going on.

ballinaman

Quote from: heffo on September 18, 2018, 11:38:46 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on September 18, 2018, 10:51:02 AM
Quote from: iorras on September 18, 2018, 10:45:36 AM
Quote from: pbat on September 18, 2018, 09:59:03 AM
Is Serena Williams managing the PR for the 12.
but the problem is, the likes of OTB (who I have now lost total respect for) will no more do proper research into this than jimmy sloyan does into his theories
The soundbites will win and matterafuck about doing some research.
Stopped listening to OTB when they  started having a bookie from boylesports do segements. Get up the yard.

Leon from Blanch?
The very man....always reminds me of Wayne's world, used to be cool and then get a corporate takeover and a weekly segment by Noah Vanderhoff....not cool man.

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: Mourne Red on September 18, 2018, 01:25:09 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on September 18, 2018, 01:22:21 PM

Liason officer was never contacted about this though was she? Easy to twist it round, notice physically aggressive wasn't used, they are picking and choosing their words very carefully
That's what sticks out to me, why the Liaison officer apparently was not told of these issues

haranguerer

Quote from: Jinxy on September 18, 2018, 12:56:02 PM
A couple of fairly serious allegations in there.
I dunno what Peter Leahy does for a living, but I'm sure he has female colleagues.
Now we're getting into legal territory.

What in there is serious?

This won't go legal. The statements aren't clearly defamatory really and even if they were, they can be argued as truth. Leahy should have enough between the ears to stay well away from a solicitors office.

You're right on all counts.

five points

The burden in a defamation case though is on the accuser to prove the truth of the remarks, which is quite a tall order.

Itchy

At this stage Mayo county board should make no further statement, have no further dealings with these rebels and let them feck off with themselves. There is nothing of substance clearly in any of this. These girls are obviously used to calling the shots which Leahy was unwilling to let happen. Let Mayo proceed with girls who are committed. No one should be bigger than the team.

Jinxy

Are ye serious?

Traditionally in Ireland, defamation was the publication of a false statement which caused a person to be subject to ridicule or contempt, which in turn often lead to a claim for defamation damages by the injured party.

That definition has given way to a more modern one, and now a claim for defamation in Ireland, can arise through a statement which tends to lower the reputation, or which creates a negative image of the subject in the eyes of right-thinking people.

https://www.defamationireland.com/
If you were any use you'd be playing.

TomDoodle

QuoteThat's what sticks out to me, why the Liaison officer apparently was not told of these issues

Reason why they never went to Liaison officer was there were no substantive issues. They have tried and dismally failed to conjure up some spurious issues in the meantime but the truth is pretty evident to anyone who has paid any attention to the issue.

shark

Quote from: Itchy on September 18, 2018, 02:01:16 PM
At this stage Mayo county board should make no further statement, have no further dealings with these rebels and let them feck off with themselves. There is nothing of substance clearly in any of this. These girls are obviously used to calling the shots which Leahy was unwilling to let happen. Let Mayo proceed with girls who are committed. No one should be bigger than the team.

Spot on. Mayo LGFA and Leahy himself should just leave it lie now. Don't fuel it any further and it will die. The players who left are outside the fence looking in now. Mayo and Leahy will carry on preparing for 2019.

rosnarun

Quote from: shark on September 18, 2018, 02:06:15 PM

Spot on. Mayo LGFA and Leahy himself should just leave it lie now. Don't fuel it any further and it will die. The players who left are outside the fence looking in now. Mayo and Leahy will carry on preparing for 2019.
And leave the Mayo team without players from possible the best club in the country ?
there is going to have to be proper negotiation when tempers cool.
Cora and some of the others are pushing on but a lotof this carancon Crew are you and it would be a shame if this blighted their careers m
Maybe they will just sit out leahys term
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

shark

Quote from: rosnarun on September 18, 2018, 02:14:00 PM
Quote from: shark on September 18, 2018, 02:06:15 PM

And leave the Mayo team without players from possible the best club in the country ?
there is going to have to be proper negotiation when tempers cool.
Cora and some of the others are pushing on but a lotof this carancon Crew are you and it would be a shame if this blighted their careers m
Maybe they will just sit out leahys term

The players left voluntarily. If they want to come back then they will contact the management team. Until then or in the absence of that happening the best thing Leahy and Mayo LGFA can do is just carry on. Mayo won't be winning the 2019 all-Ireland with or without those players.