Up for the match

Started by Farrandeelin, September 03, 2016, 10:51:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Des Cahill... what can one say? :-\
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

It was always something to be avoided. I suppose when I was a kid I had no choice but watch the irritating and pompous Liam Ó Murchú doing up for the final.

Why would anybody want to attend this and why would anybody want to sit down and watch it?

Why does RTE continue to with nonsense like this and other cringe fests like Rose of Tralee, ffs?

muppet

Quote from: moysider on September 03, 2016, 11:22:26 PM

It was always something to be avoided. I suppose when I was a kid I had no choice but watch the irritating and pompous Liam Ó Murchú doing up for the final.

Why would anybody want to attend this and why would anybody want to sit down and watch it?

Why does RTE continue to with nonsense like this and other cringe fests like Rose of Tralee, ffs?

Y'know all of our TV signals are broadcast into space? Alpha Centurians are only 4 light years away and were recently commenting that Dublin v Mayo was like a cross between Plasma-ball and Pulsar fighting.

Up for the match is right up their Wormholes.
MWWSI 2017

ashman

I guess that people watch each in big numbers .  This show and the Rose of Tralee are two examples where the decriers are far more insufferable than the decried .

T Fearon

A harmless ould appetiser for the big day.My only complaint is that I attended in 02 and 03 and the only gift for everyone in the audience was a £10 diesel voucher from Morgan Fuels 😡😡

T Fearon

I hear the programme is being retitled specially for Mayo supporters on the eve of this year's Football Final to "Up for the defeat (again!)" 😂😂😂

seafoid

I think it is related to the ideology of Light Entertainment in RTE.  They set a low bar.
Telly is for everyone and all levels of education. BBC crime programmes often have clues so that everyone can follow the story. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

sid waddell

Up For The Match is a national treasure™. It's magnificent Saturday night television and is meant to be watched with a few drinks on board. There's a place for cringe-inducing twee mucksavagery and this is the place. And the more cringe-inducing the better.

You all know you love it, don't deny it.

Roll on another night of self-consciously gormless hooting and hollering in two weeks' time.

Syferus

Quote from: sid waddell on September 04, 2016, 11:36:50 PM
Up For The Match is a national treasure™. It's magnificent Saturday night television and is meant to be watched with a few drinks on board. There's a place for cringe-inducing twee mucksavagery and this is the place. And the more cringe-inducing the better.

Roll on another night of self-consciously gormless hooting and hollering in two weeks' time.

Ok.

Only thing wrong with Up for the Match is Des Cahill. The rest is harmless stuff that internet warriors get far too worked up about.

MoChara

Des Cahill always reminds me of Henry Sellers from Father Ted

seafoid

Quote from: sid waddell on September 04, 2016, 11:36:50 PM

Up for the match, the Angelus , RoT and Garda Patrol (early iterations) have been submitted to UNESCO as part of the world's priceless heritage .
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Maroon Manc

I've no issue with the show apart from a change of presenter is required but I can't understand how there isn't a programme on before both AI finals to discuss tactics etc. There was a programme on 3 or 4 years ago similar to this throughout the summer but obviously ratings weren't great.

muppet

MWWSI 2017

sid waddell

Quote from: Maroon Manc on September 05, 2016, 02:58:12 PM
I've no issue with the show apart from a change of presenter is required but I can't understand how there isn't a programme on before both AI finals to discuss tactics etc. There was a programme on 3 or 4 years ago similar to this throughout the summer but obviously ratings weren't great.
I like tactical analysis.

But seriously, who the fook is interested in watching a programme about tactics the night before an All-Ireland final.

I like drinking the night before an All-Ireland final, and if I'm at home watching Up For The Match, I like to drink during that too.

Although I do turn something else on when the yawn-inducing, po-faced "Uachtaran Cummann Luthchleas Gael A-gawn O'Fareeeel" is interviewed. But I'll switch back for more cringe-inducing craic once he's toddled off.

My advice to the makers of Up For The Match is: cut Mr. O'Fareeeel and have more interviews with drunken 'oul lads and more features about painted sheep.