All Ireland minor championship

Started by sam03/05, April 26, 2007, 05:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sam03/05

Anyone saw the odds on this years all Ireland minor championship?
Was interested in placing a bet on Tyrone minors to take the title anyone any ideas on what the odds might be? and who the leading contenders might be?

Tatler Jack

Hear Carlow could be dark horses. Think they beat Meath and drew with Cork in a challenge game a few weeks back.

BallyhaiseMan

Carlow got annihilated by Cavan in Kingscourt in the Ulster Minor League,so i wouldnt be so sure.

ONeill

A couple of months ago I'd have been willing to lump a right bit on Tyrone for honours this year as this minor team has been talked about for 3-4 years. However, their performances (albeit minus a couple of CBS/Vocs) in the minor league were not encouraging. I was talking to a few boys who played against them and they commented that they thought Tyrone were one of the easiest to counter - great on the ball but, a la the seniors, the defence just soloed the ball to death and after a while it became predictable.

Down and Derry looked in fine shape and although Down lost the minor final to Derry AET, some of their scorelines were phenomenal. I think they score 7 goals against Armagh!!
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

SuperDooperCooper

Impossible to know with minors, there're brillant one day, shite the next. Minor championship doesn't usually take shape until about August. 2 years ago the 4 provincal champions lost the All-Ireland quarter finals. For whats it's worth Kerry didn't look great against tipp a few weeks back.   

whassupp2

Reigning Champions (not that it matters coz its a new team) Roscommon are out in action this weekend playing Leitrim in the first round of the Connacht minor championship round robin.
take the opportunity of a lifetime in the lifetime of the opportunity

The Real Laoislad

Laois have a strong enough minor panel this year,Would expect them to win Leinster again and be there are there aboutbouts come the All Ireland Final
You'll Never Walk Alone.

sam03/05

to be fair Tyrone havnt really fully functioned due to Omagh and Voc
There are 16 players who were on either panel.
I thought the Omagh defence was unreal at Croke Park last Sunday and many of those players
McNabb, Mossy etc will form the basis of the Tyrone defence

stephenite

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on April 26, 2007, 06:45:51 PM
Carlow got annihilated by Cavan in Kingscourt in the Ulster Minor League,so i wouldnt be so sure.

What the fu*k are Carlow doing playing in an Ulster Minor league?

Turlough O Carolan

Quote from: whassupp2 on April 26, 2007, 08:09:31 PM
Reigning Champions (not that it matters coz its a new team) Roscommon are out in action this weekend playing Leitrim in the first round of the Connacht minor championship round robin.

Of course only Ros, Sligo and Leitrim play in the round robin. Connacht Council decided Mayo and Galway should be seeded. Top two teams in the round robin will play the two big guns in the semis. Based on the minor league Galway and Mayo do look the two strongest teams this year.

Tatler Jack

QuoteWhat the fu*k are Carlow doing playing in an Ulster Minor league?

Think it was part of the Good Friday agreement!! DUP demanded it  ;D

nrico2006

Here is the apparent Tyrone Minor panel for the Championship.  I count 17 from the All Ireland winning Vocationals and Hogan team.  So as stated previously, I dont think you can read too much into the Tyrone Team in the Ulster Minor league, but this has been the case for a few years with players in vocationals and mccrory teams. 

AIDAN GIRVAN
MARTIN RODGERS  -  VS
SEAN ROBINSON     - VS
CHRISTOPHER FOLEY
MARK O'CONNOR
FERGAL McALLISKEY
CATHAL McCRORY
DARREN CARSON  -  VS
RYAN PICKERING
MICHAEL O'NEILL
PAUL MARTIN  -  VS
KYLE CONEY   -  VS
TIARNAN O'HAGAN
PADDY McNEICE  -  VS
CONAL McGARRITY
MARK McKENNA
JAMES CARLIN
CONOR O'NEILL
PAUL McALEER  -  VS
TIM HARNEY  -  CBS
COLIN HARKIN  -  CBS
PETER HUGHES  -  CBS
MICHAEL GALLAGHER  -  CBS
KEVIN MOSSEY  -  CBS
DIARMUIN McNULTY  -  CBS
SIMON O'NEILL  -  CBS
SHANE O'NEILL  -  CBS
RONAN McNABB  -  CBS
CORMAC ARKINSON  -  CBS
PETER HARTE
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

magpie seanie

QuoteOf course only Ros, Sligo and Leitrim play in the round robin. Connacht Council decided Mayo and Galway should be seeded. Top two teams in the round robin will play the two big guns in the semis. Based on the minor league Galway and Mayo do look the two strongest teams this year.

Not sure what to expect from our minors but for once Sligo didn't persisit with their best team in the Connacht league in an effort to win games. There was quite a bit of rotation and assuming the management get it right for championship I'd expect improved performances. I'd be quite hopeful of advancing from the round robin anyway and with two games played at that point we should be able for a good crack at either of the big two.

SLIGONIAN

I was speaking to one of the Sligo minors and he said they used the league purely for having a look at tatics players etc.. He said they threw it so we'd make a better crack at the championship. I echo Seanie sentiments I expect us to be competitive this yr in Connaght. Not far away...Not much between any of the 5..
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

ONeill

I think Sligo are playing Antrim in a friendly this weekend.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.