Presidential canditate you could go on the beer with.

Started by mayogodhelpus@gmail.com, October 02, 2011, 02:22:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Please leave egos out of this, we are good people.
Testing Accessibility

muppet

I love some of the more extreme ideology that appears here.

Marty is a great fella because he wouldn't dream of moving from his council estate or wherever he has lived for yonks. This is regularly trumpeted here (not by the man himself I must point out) to show he is without ego or ambition. If this ideology had really stood the test of time, Marty would be still living in a cave, wearing mammoth-skins and playing his hurling with a proper club, rather than an actual hurley.

That obviously isn't the case so we must assume that the ideology has a starting point. At this time it was ok to live in whatever house your, or more particularly, Marty's family were in but after which upgrading was to be frowned upon. This upgrading, according to the ideology, means you are the opposite of Marty who is without ego or financial ambition, thus leaving the rest of us as egotistical money-grabbers.

If Marty upgrades to the Áras what happens?

MWWSI 2017

Hardy

I don't think people should be demeaning the dignity of the office by referring in such familiar terms to any candidate and particularly the one who holds the constitution and institutions of this state so dear. Referring to the also-rans as Mikey, Davey, Gaybo, etc. is neither here nor there, but "Commander-In-Chief Marty" is just a little too informal for the wavering voter.

Nally Stand

Quote from: muppet on October 03, 2011, 12:56:47 PM
I love some of the more extreme ideology that appears here.

Marty is a great fella because he wouldn't dream of moving from his council estate or wherever he has lived for yonks. This is regularly trumpeted here (not by the man himself I must point out) to show he is without ego or ambition. If this ideology had really stood the test of time, Marty would be still living in a cave, wearing mammoth-skins and playing his hurling with a proper club, rather than an actual hurley.

That obviously isn't the case so we must assume that the ideology has a starting point. At this time it was ok to live in whatever house your, or more particularly, Marty's family were in but after which upgrading was to be frowned upon. This upgrading, according to the ideology, means you are the opposite of Marty who is without ego or financial ambition, thus leaving the rest of us as egotistical money-grabbers.

If Marty upgrades to the Áras what happens?

It's awful easy to be labelled an extremist around here.
Do you think Martin McGuinness is ego motivated?
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Declan

QuoteDo you think Martin McGuinness is ego motivated?

Anyone involved in politics is ego motivated - it just depends on how much, in comparison to the other "qualities" they have, it motivates them.

muppet

Quote from: Nally Stand on October 03, 2011, 01:05:57 PM

Labels and Ego?

There are many ways to come at this. I agree with Declan above for example.

But here is another angle.

The ego refers to self or identity. Translate Sinn Féin, I agree it is We Ourselves, rather than Us Alone. Either way it suggests an exclusive Irish identity. When attacked recently McGuinness was quick to use the expression 'West Brits'. This is a derogatory term aimed at fellow Irish people who are perceived as 'less Irish' than, at the very least, the person issuing the insult. To label anyone a 'West Brit' requires an opinion that your Irishness is superior to the 'West Brit's' Irishness.

Imho it requires a serious ego to proclaim yourself more Irish than someone else.

I accept that the expression West Brit is thrown around in many contexts up North, but McGuinness is running for a position that also represents those in the South and he needs to understand his audience.
MWWSI 2017

Nally Stand

Quote from: muppet on October 03, 2011, 01:30:37 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on October 03, 2011, 01:05:57 PM

Labels and Ego?

There are many ways to come at this. I agree with Declan above for example.

But here is another angle.

The ego refers to self or identity. Translate Sinn Féin, I agree it is We Ourselves, rather than Us Alone. Either way it suggests an exclusive Irish identity. When attacked recently McGuinness was quick to use the expression 'West Brits'. This is a derogatory term aimed at fellow Irish people who are perceived as 'less Irish' than, at the very least, the person issuing the insult. To label anyone a 'West Brit' requires an opinion that your Irishness is superior to the 'West Brit's' Irishness.

Imho it requires a serious ego to proclaim yourself more Irish than someone else.

I accept that the expression West Brit is thrown around in many contexts up North, but McGuinness is running for a position that also represents those in the South and he needs to understand his audience.

I think his use of the term to refer to elements of the media (not "everyone" as you stated recently) as westbrits is entirely justified. I think the ego of those people he termed westbrits is much more open to see. But that is just one element of his campaign. In general, do you think Martin McGuinness is in politics and in this election for the purposes of massaging his ego?
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

muppet

An unequivocal yes to that one.

If he and Gerry believed in the greater good they would be putting forward newer Sinn Féin candidates with less complicated backgrounds. The fact that they don't seem to be able to let of control of the entire Republican movement tells me it is about them as much as anything.
MWWSI 2017

Nally Stand

Quote from: muppet on October 03, 2011, 01:52:08 PM
An unequivocal yes to that one.

If he and Gerry believed in the greater good they would be putting forward newer Sinn Féin candidates with less complicated backgrounds. The fact that they don't seem to be able to let of control of the entire Republican movement tells me it is about them as much as anything.

This has nothing to do with Gerry Adams. We are talking about Martin McGuinness. You honestly believe he got into politics due to his ego? And that it is his ego which is motivating him to run for President? Hard to believe! While only 26 counties can vote in this election, the Republican Movement is about more than 26 counties. Martin McGuinness has proven to be an effective politician and was comfortably ahead of the field in the Belfast Telegraphs poll on who people felt were the most effective ministers. He has repeatedly been a poll-topper in Mid Ulster, why should he leave leadership of the Republican Movement, like you suggest? To suit the electorate of the 26 counties and feck the other 6? He is however happy to don the new hat of President in place of his much more powerful position as joint head honcho in the north. An egotist would surely rather remain in a powerful office than a powerless office?

muppet

A non-egotist would let someone else do it. You are the one claiming he is without ego. Let's just say I find it highly unlikely, this is not meant as any disrespect to SF as I feel the same about all politicians.

BTW you refer to the Office of President as simply a powerless office. Do you see no benefit in doing the job whatsoever?
MWWSI 2017

Nally Stand

Quote from: muppet on October 03, 2011, 02:34:50 PM
A non-egotist would let someone else do it. You are the one claiming he is without ego. Let's just say I find it highly unlikely, this is not meant as any disrespect to SF as I feel the same about all politicians.

BTW you refer to the Office of President as simply a powerless office. Do you see no benefit in doing the job whatsoever?

Guaranteed All-Ireland tickets.

From McGuinness' point of view, he has stated that he would be in the office with an openly United Ireland agenda so I'd imagine the benefit would be seeing another brick in wall of partition removed; and win or (most likely) lose, his candidature will likely have been a huge help to SF in the task of leap-frogging FF. In an interview recently, he talked about being in Paris with his grandson, and while there, suddenly being stuck at the realisation that it was the first time in his sixty-something years that he had ever outside of Ireland on his own time, and not on behalf of SF. He has stated that he is a party loyalist and as such, is in the race because his party asked him to be. He has outlined his reasons for getting involved in politics and the Republican struggle, and I believe it is simply not credible to suggest he did do for an ego massage.

Hardy

How can he afford to go to Paris on the average industrial wage?

Nally Stand

Bingo

F*ck this thread, i'd drink with none of them...give me a pint with a few friends any day of the week.