Refugees

Started by Mayo4Sam14, September 03, 2015, 04:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gmac

I see Sweden are talking about sending 60/80k of asylum seekers out of the country because their individual cases for asylum have been rejected ,conveniently the day after a social worker was stabbed to death by a refugee. The next election in most European countries should see some major changes in whose running these countries .

macdanger2

Anyone watch "the crossing"? Depressing stuff, hard to believe what those refugees go through

BarryBreensBandage

"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

Maroon Manc

80 Syrian refugees will be be housed at the Abbeyfield Hotel in Ballaghaderreen, looking at many of the comments on facebook it looks like some of the locals are not happy.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 06, 2017, 12:37:44 PM
80 Syrian refugees will be be housed at the Abbeyfield Hotel in Ballaghaderreen, looking at many of the comments on facebook it looks like a lot of the locals are not happy.

Will they play for Mayo or Roscommon?

Minder

80 Syrian refugees will be be housed at the Abbeyfield Hotel in Ballaghaderreen, looking at many of the comments on facebook it looks like a lot of the locals are not happy.

Why are they not happy?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

weareros

Quote from: Minder on January 06, 2017, 12:54:05 PM

Why are they not happy?

Some of the comments are from ignorant buffoons who have no empathy.

Genuine concerns are from those who ask what  infrastructure a decaying town like Ballaghaderreen has to accommodate 80 refugees. To walk down Main Street, so many storefronts are closed up and a complete eyesore. There's half finished ghost estates that are dumping grounds. There's no greenspace. There's a bit of a children's playground in the old football field, that's it. The Abbeyfield Hotel itself is a zombie hotel from the Celtic Tiger era. The last hotel in the town - The Lough Gara - is long closed down and now an empty retail front. As bad as it is, it's still a much better place than where the poor people left and they will be well looked after.

foxcommander

80 Syrian refugees will be be housed at the Abbeyfield Hotel in Ballaghaderreen, looking at many of the comments on facebook it looks like some of the locals are not happy.

Call me uncharitable but surely the government should prioritise tacking the homeless situation in their own country first.
When every citizen has a place to lay their heads at night then we can move on to tacking the world's issues.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Itchy

Quote from: foxcommander on January 06, 2017, 01:39:36 PM

Call me uncharitable but surely the government should prioritise tacking the homeless situation in their own country first.
When every citizen has a place to lay their heads at night then we can move on to tacking the world's issues.

Would the homeless in Dublin move to ballaghadreen?

weareros

Quote from: Itchy on January 06, 2017, 01:45:12 PM

No. It's a nonsense point from Fox.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: weareros on January 06, 2017, 01:38:45 PM

Why are they not happy?

Some of the comments are from ignorant buffoons who have no empathy.

Genuine concerns are from those who ask what  infrastructure a decaying town like Ballaghaderreen has to accommodate 80 refugees. To walk down Main Street, so many storefronts are closed up and a complete eyesore. There's half finished ghost estates that are dumping grounds. There's no greenspace. There's a bit of a children's playground in the old football field, that's it. The Abbeyfield Hotel itself is a zombie hotel from the Celtic Tiger era. The last hotel in the town - The Lough Gara - is long closed down and now an empty retail front. As bad as it is, it's still a much better place than where the poor people left and they will be well looked after.

There are certainly some genuine concerns in fairness.

Who owns the hotel now? I was under the impression it was to be re-opened to the public?

Something like this doesn't happen overnight either so its hard not to jump to the conclusion that whoever bought so did on the basis that there was a government contract in the offing.

foxcommander

Quote from: Itchy on January 06, 2017, 01:45:12 PM

Probably not but the solution isn't as simple as moving a grouping of people to one location.
I think its a shame that the decentralisation of Dublin plan never really worked. Too much emphasis on the capital.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Esmarelda

A local representative was on with Hook on Newstalk earlier and he says that there's been very little communication from the Department of Justice. Basically they've been told the refugees are coming. I think he said they were being given English lessons for a couple of weeks.

Nothing about employment, schooling etc.

He seemed genuine.

JoG2

Why are they not happy?

Because there's a growing level of nastiness in the world lead by the gutter press.* Look out for no 1 only and to hell with your fellow man.  It's truly sickening

* still amazes me how a rag like the Daily Heil was able to set up an Irish version after decades of hate towards the Irish living in Britain,  the mind truly boggles

saffronandblue

Far too many do-gooders in this country. I'd say the locals might have accepted 80 but when it's going to be 200/250 in a town of around 1000 people it's more than any town should have to cope with. Imagine telling the Dubs that there were 200,000 refugees coming in the next couple of months.  That's the scale of the incoming numbers of refugees.  One wonders who are the shrewd investors were that purchased the hotel a few months ago??????????? On a brighter note, isn't it great to see our great Enda delivering for the West again.