Paddy Heaney 15/01/2008

Started by time ticking away, January 15, 2008, 01:59:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

I was in his class at school and although not overly tall or short he was built like a tank at an early age and had a really low centre of gravity so it was almost impossible to get him off the ball whether it was hurling or soccer. Like a lot of talented teenagers I think he was playing on 8 or 9 different club, county and school teams when he was 15 or 16. I think that the weight of expectation from his da who is a big hurling man and the general public in Loughgiel and Antrim probably just ground him down and he became scunnered with it. He got married and had 2 or 3 children shortly after leaving Queen's so I'd say playing senior for the club was as much as he could muster.

Winker Watson could be another boy who never fulfils his potential in Antrim although more due to his lifestyle and "refuelling" than settling down and having children!  ;)

Pull Hard Hes No Relation

I played with Aidan myself at Queens and he was a fine hurler although an absolute nightmare to get to training or indeed matches.

Gave the impression at that stage that he was in Belfast to get away from the hype and the pressure of hurling at home along with having as good a time as possible and seemed to have a very laid back attitude to the game.In fairness to him that was possibly due to being "turned off" playing from having so many different teams to play for.

Aristotle Flynn

Was Aidan the boy known as Roadster? Very laid back young fella generally. I think he played for Loughgeil in the Antrim final at full back last year.
A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion.

imtommygunn

The brother did full back against Cushendall last year but this year Nail McGarry did it. I think he retired(Owen) but he was a very good player too.

clootfromthe21

Quote from: Aristotle Flynn on January 16, 2008, 07:11:47 PM
Was Aidan the boy known as Roadster? Very laid back young fella generally. I think he played for Loughgeil in the Antrim final at full back last year.

That was his brother Eoin, who also played for Antrim. Think he got a bit of a roasting from whomever was on him - could it have been Neil McManus? My memory is that Cushendall got their tactics right to expose him for pace rather than drop balls in on top of him

I also have a memory of Aidan being very very handy but not the fleetest of foot either. Would that be right?

Minus15

As soon as I read this article I thought of one player in particular who was excellent at underage level. Kevin McCarthy had it all. Great technical and fielding ability, a great brain, excellent free taking abilities and PACE! The saval lad unfortunately went to university and met simon crozier!!! The rest, as they say, is history!!! SAD WASTE OF TALENT OF THE HIGHEST DEGREE!!!

Bogball XV

Quote from: SJC on January 16, 2008, 12:27:09 PMAnyway we could go on for ever about players not making it after minor.My club played in the Ulster Minor Club final on New Years Day 1994, we were beaten by the Loup of Derry. Of That minor team only about 3 lads played Senior football for the club this year.
There was some amount of that Loup team who went to further success with club and county - i wonder how many of them won Ulster Senior medals ten years later?  Anyone know where I could find out ;)

parttimeexile

I had heard that Declan Mc Crossan had health problems like some sort of virus which brought his football to a premature end. I am not sure if this is true but he was some talent at minor level.

Aerlik

Anthony Tohill, Dermot McNicholl and Damien Cassidy were all sensational underage players who made it into the big time and got to the top.  But I think one of the major problems in Co.Derry at least was the type of match reporting that went on especially in the Mid-Ulster Observer.  Every week so-and-so was a superstar doing wonders on the U-14 team and how a certain Dungiven-based "reporter" let the rest of the county know about it.  Call them human but that could only have had one type of effect on the lads.  When I started St.Pats there was an 11 y.o. from Glen Maghera who was 6'1" and built like a tank.  There wasn't a single person who could come near him for up four years anywhere in Ulster.  I don't think he kicked a ball in earnest after the age of 21.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

BennyHarp

Colleges football such as the McRory Cup is packed of unfulfilled potential, my school alone St Pats Academy in Dungannon had its fair share. There was two however during my time who where absolutely outstanding at underage level and i would have put my house on them making it at senior level. Martin Early and Paul McGurk both helped the academy win their first hogan cup and where unbelievable footballers especially during their younger days in dalton and corn na nog when they would have played on my team - a year above them! Paul did play for tyrone for a while but i think injuries curtailed his career a wee bit. As for Early, not sure what happened there but he was a joy to watch and play with when he was younger perhaps the scorer of some of the best goals i have ever seen!
That was never a square ball!!

nrico2006

QuoteI had heard that Declan Mc Crossan had health problems like some sort of virus which brought his football to a premature end. I am not sure if this is true but he was some talent at minor level.

I dunno about any virus, but he has been playing club football since he left the Tyrone team.  
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

behind the wire

Quote from: Minus15 on January 16, 2008, 10:41:32 PM
As soon as I read this article I thought of one player in particular who was excellent at underage level. Kevin McCarthy had it all. Great technical and fielding ability, a great brain, excellent free taking abilities and PACE! The saval lad unfortunately went to university and met simon crozier!!! The rest, as they say, is history!!! SAD WASTE OF TALENT OF THE HIGHEST DEGREE!!!

:D :D :D
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

ONeill

What happened to P. Sullivan who captained and played FF for Meath in the '92 minor win over Armagh? He was a great prospect. He played alongside Giles in the FF line.

Could only find this
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Hardy

I often wondered that myself O'Neill. Not being involved locally, I meant to ask anytime I was up home but never thought of it. He was pretty good as a minor. SOme of the Royals here should know. Pity Lantosach doesn't seem to be around any more - he knew every player in every club, it seemed.

Rav67

Quote from: ONeill on January 17, 2008, 10:49:32 AM
What happened to P. Sullivan who captained and played FF for Meath in the '92 minor win over Armagh? He was a great prospect. He played alongside Giles in the FF line.

Could only find this

The Meath minor team of 92 and 93 was unreal- I think Fay, Paddy Reynolds, Giles, Murphy, Nestor and Hank Traynor all came out of it, probably more I cant think of.