Gaa training, gym, diet and injury advice

Started by tintin25, August 09, 2007, 10:44:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbeySider

Quote from: tintin25 on August 09, 2007, 02:29:14 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on August 09, 2007, 02:03:42 PM
Quote from: tintin25 on August 09, 2007, 01:55:05 PM
Not too bothered with the weights meself. Mainly focus on threadmill and then some exercises for abs and that. Footie training consists of the usual drills and then usual a wee match at the end.

you can forget about the threadmill.
You're far better going out for a jog and pushing yourself a bit harder for certain periods.
Its much better than running on an artificial surface which is nothing like running on a field.
dont get me wrong its better than not doing anything,but ive done both and you will find more benefit from the other.

No probs mate. Advise taken on board. Aye, I just prefer heading to gym cause at least that way I can doing abit of everything. Sort of restricted by just jogging the roads. Threadmill isn't prob the best but I would usually run at a decent speed and that coupled with walking would probably be about 25 mins.
I would however find myself running at a quicker pace on the threadmill than say on the roads but the actual road surface is more tiring on the legs. I'm by no means a fitness freak but just wanna stay at a reasonably fitness level whilst partaking in the boozy/party/junk food sessions at the wkend!  :)

Seriously, you are wasting your time on a treadmill, all you are doing is bouncing up and down.
You dont even utilize the proper running muscles on a treadmill because you cant lengthen your stride properly and it leads to bad running techniques (small steps).

I go by the motto that running should be done in a field or on the road. Gym is for weights really.

Anyway my training week is usually

Monday: Gym weights workout, Chest, Back, Lower Back, Abs, core (1.15 hrs - 1.30 hrs)
(sometimes followed by astro turf soccer)

Tursday: Go home from Galway to Mayo for training, lots of running and ball work (1.15 hrs - 1.30 hrs)

Wednesday: Gym weights workout, Arms, Shoulders, Traps, Abs, core (1.15 hrs - 1.30 hrs)

Thursday: (If there is a match at the weekend)
Go home from Galway to Mayo for training, lots of running and ball work (1.15 hrs - 1.30 hrs)

Friday: Rest

Saturday evening or
Sunday early afternoon: Football match

keep changing my gym workouts every 10 weeks or so

I try an get down to football training twice a week but sometimes im too tired on a Thursday.
If we have no game at the weekend I usually train with the club on Saturday or Sunday.

I have kept the weights up for the summer.

Davitt Man

Abbeysider, just looking at your weekly routine there and it is impressive but i would be concerned that you are not getting the proper rest in between sessions. how do you feel come match day, are you full of energy or do you feel sluggish?

Another important factor with training is getting proper food on board before and after training. When i have training on a tuesday and thursday all i have for the day is weetabix for breakfast, a snadwich at lunch and then no dinner before training and its to late to have a dinner after training. Usually just try grab a sandwich after training but thats not a proper food intake after a tough session.

BallyhaiseMan

Its important to keep the weights up in moderation for the summer.
Not much good,doing weights from December to April then forgetting about them for the rest of the year.
i read that the Dublin team have 30 minute highly intensive weight sessions before ALL training sessions to keep the upper body strength up during the summer months.
i fear many coaches forget about them when the hard ground comes into play and concentrate on running and sharpness,the result being their months of weight sessions are f**k all use when championship time comes around in august,september.

full back

Rather than starting a new thread
What type of training are clubs doing at this stage of the year?
Have been speaking to a few lads & they are still f**king running most nights at training with the odd ball drill thrown in ???

BallyhaiseMan

agree with Davitt Man that Abbeysiders programme is impressive.
Also agree with Davitt man that Abbeysider isnt giving himself enough time to recover from high intensity workouts.
i was always taught to give yourself two days rest before a game.
For example of the week of a saturday game

hard training on a Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday

Rest Thursday

very Light run to get the legs active again after your day of rest on friday

Game Saturday

Rest Sunday.

with a game on a sunday it allows you to Train Monday-Thursday then rest Friday/Saturday for your game.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: full back on August 09, 2007, 03:31:22 PM
Rather than starting a new thread
What type of training are clubs doing at this stage of the year?
Have been speaking to a few lads & they are still f**king running most nights at training with the odd ball drill thrown in ???

sharpness training,lots of sprinting,short sprinting 0-20 metres and up to 50-60 metres mostly with the ball.
Lots of High intensive games aswell.

Davitt Man

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on August 09, 2007, 03:31:58 PM

with a game on a sunday it allows you to Train Monday-Thursday then rest Friday/Saturday for your game.

Ballyhaiseman, if you have a game sunday the quaility of your training monday wouldnt really be any good. I have often heard lads in college train monday after a game sunday. The body needs that time to recover from the match on the sunday, maybe a pool session would be more suitable for a monday session after a sunday match. I presume your monday session is just a light jog to loosen out the legs

BallyhaiseMan

Yep Davitt Man,really it depends on how much the game on sunday took out of you,Theres been some Mondays where ive been able to do a hard full training session after a game on Sunday and Some Mondays i could barely walk never mind train.
definetely a pool session or a light jog though is suitable for a day after a game.

inisceithleann

Lads i was wondering if any of you have any advice regarding hamstring tears. I tore my right hamstring 3.5 weeks ago. I was in a lot of pain and there was a right bit of bruising just above my knee. I did nothing for 2 weeks and then started jogging again after that and then sprinted a bit on my own. I thought i was flying as the pain had pretty much set aside. However i stepped up the pace a bit and played 5 mins in a reserve game last saturday. I was in terrible pain after it and i'm back to square one. How long should have i taken complete rest for before doing any training? Should i have been doing swimming etc long before i started jogging?
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

Davitt Man

B\Haise man you agreed with me that rest is important yet i see you train 3 days in a row, monday tuesday wednesday, a fews week i had something on 5 evenings out of 6 between training, match and soccer, i was wrecked come the 5th session. Surley training 3 days in a row is not of benefit to you..

Davitt Man

Quote from: inisceithleann on August 09, 2007, 04:20:40 PM
Lads i was wondering if any of you have any advice regarding hamstring tears. I tore my right hamstring 3.5 weeks ago. I was in a lot of pain and there was a right bit of bruising just above my knee. I did nothing for 2 weeks and then started jogging again after that and then sprinted a bit on my own. I thought i was flying as the pain had pretty much set aside. However i stepped up the pace a bit and played 5 mins in a reserve game last saturday. I was in terrible pain after it and i'm back to square one. How long should have i taken complete rest for before doing any training? Should i have been doing swimming etc long before i started jogging?

Get to a physio my man, they will know how bad it is and what form of training as regards stretching logging you should be doing