Gaa training, gym, diet and injury advice

Started by tintin25, August 09, 2007, 10:44:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tintin25

I'm sure there is a few of ya's who play footie/hurling at some sort of level, be it Junior/Intermediate/senior. How much training do ya's do per week? Does it suffice? Can never make training meself as away from home during the week, so basically rely on matches at the wkend and doing about 40 min work-outs at the gym 2/3 times a week (Mainly consisting of the cardio). I'm never sure if this is keeping me on par with the other's in terms of fitness.

inisceithleann

Usually train twice a week for the club when i'm at home and then a game at the weekend. Though a more serious club player probably does a lot more on his own. For me personally football is an enjoyable pastime and i wouldn't do anything more on my own. To do so would take the enjoyment away from it.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

stpauls

at the minute we are training at least twice a week, with a match usually on a friday night, as long as we do the right things then it would definately be enough.
i try to get to the gym at least 2 more times in the week, with a 35 minute cardio sessions, followed by a few sets of weights. the gym sessions also depend on what was done in training, that is i could be too f@*ked from the training session to go to the gym, but i am also involved with the committee and ladies football so the gym can sometimes be forgotten about to accommodate these.

Davitt Man

I would ne interested to hear from ye what the cardio vasular stuff entails

Davitt Man

I am a senior player and living away from. The training during the week depends on the plan for the weekend i.e if there is a game or not.

If we have a game at the weekend I train with other club mates in dublin on a tuesday night then home for training on a friday evening and a game sunday.

If there is no game on at the weekend i train Tuesday, friday at home and train early sunday morning.

In between i also play some soccer to mix it up a bit maybe on a wed or thurs night, i stay away from the gym during the summer, usually do enough press-ups and sit-ups at training and away from traning.

What does anyone else do?

INDIANA

at senior club level (retired now recently)- in the height of the season would have been -tuesday training- wed weights and thurs training- eitherr trained sat morn or game sat evening
no weights on the wed if a game on the sat-instead would have skipped wed in the gym and done some shooting practice instead. would have done abit on sunday mornings as well- maybe some core stuff or light weights maybe every 2-3 weeks.

thebandit

I'm a Junioir club footballer.

Training is fitted around - if I'm not dying from the night before, if we can use the field of if there is an under 12 game on that nobody bothered to tell the senior team manager about, etc..

When we are there, it is quite good. I even quit the drink the week of a championship game.

jungle

train monday, wednesday and friday. matches usually friday or sunday (if no match we train).we start at 8 and be leaving through the gate at 9.45 despite this we are still shite.   

BallyhaiseMan

Train Tuesday and Friday night with club

if game at weekend then will only do one other night on my own,
If no game would do two.

The Other night/s are gym work,
normaly about 55 mins to an hour

10 minutes on stationary bike as warm up
25 minutes circuit training,
25 minutes proper weight training(wouldnt do this 3 or 4 days before a big game though)
Facilities in Dublin are top class.

tintin25

Not too bothered with the weights meself. Mainly focus on threadmill and then some exercises for abs and that. Footie training consists of the usual drills and then usual a wee match at the end.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: tintin25 on August 09, 2007, 01:55:05 PM
Not too bothered with the weights meself. Mainly focus on threadmill and then some exercises for abs and that. Footie training consists of the usual drills and then usual a wee match at the end.

did ye win the match the other day tintin and was the corner forward taking off
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

BallyhaiseMan

tintin if i can give you some advice???
you can forget about the threadmill.
You're far better going out for a jog and pushing yourself a bit harder for certain periods.
Its much better than running on an artificial surface which is nothing like running on a field.
dont get me wrong its better than not doing anything,but ive done both and you will find more benefit from the other.

orangeman

Training tuesday and thursday - match at weekend - that's it -
I agree about the threadmill - waste of time -

tintin25

Quote from: the Deel Rover on August 09, 2007, 02:02:06 PM

did ye win the match the other day tintin and was the corner forward taking off

Lol. We thrashed them!!. All 5 subs were used....1 in the backs and 4 in the forwards!!

tintin25

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on August 09, 2007, 02:03:42 PM

tintin if i can give you some advice???
you can forget about the threadmill.
You're far better going out for a jog and pushing yourself a bit harder for certain periods.
Its much better than running on an artificial surface which is nothing like running on a field.
dont get me wrong its better than not doing anything,but ive done both and you will find more benefit from the other.

No probs mate. Advise taken on board. Aye, I just prefer heading to gym cause at least that way I can doing abit of everything. Sort of restricted by just jogging the roads. Threadmill isn't prob the best but I would usually run at a decent speed and that coupled with walking would probably be about 25 mins. I use to carry an extra few stone a couple of years ago and found that jogging the country roads was the best thing I could have done...really shed the weight. However, since then I haven't done it as much and just concentrated on footie training when I can and the gym the odd. I would however find myself running at a quicker pace on the threadmill than say on the roads but the actual road surface is more tiring on the legs. I'm by no means a fitness freak but just wanna stay at a reasonably fitness level whilst partaking in the boozy/party/junk food sessions at the wkend!  :)