Tipp v Mayo AI semi final (still doesnt sound right!!)

Started by tippabu, August 07, 2016, 10:48:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Manc

Quote from: StephenC on August 24, 2016, 12:36:38 PM
Thought Keans was fine on OTB last night. Didn't disrespect anyone and simply came across as disappointed. People hearing what they want to hear I think.

I agree, I'm not sure what the 2 Mayo lads are complaining about. He gave Mayo a bit of praise and said they were a top team, not sure what else they want. It was hardly an outstanding performance from Mayo that would warrant too much praise.

I see Acheson has said he won't play next year for Tipp, is he planning on going travelling as he's too young to retire?

AZOffaly

He's been planning to go to Dubai with his girlfriend for the past two years, and kept putting it off. He decided to stay this year because Kearns made him captain. I'd say he feels if he doesn't go, he'll never go, and his girlfriend really wants to go. You have to live your life too.

highorlow

Ok maybe I was miss reading Kearins.

You have to take into account that he watched a full re-run of the match the day before and must have been influenced by Tom Tom Carr's commentary. He was more or less saying that common sense should prevail when issuing black cards so early on in a match, the Mitchells lads would tend to agree with that one!
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Rossfan

So when does "common sense" say we should start implementing the rules in a game? ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

westbound

I hate this phrase/idea that the ref should have applied common sense because it was early in the game!

The ref is not there is apply common sense, he's there to apply the rules!

If a black/yellow/red card offense takes place in the first minute or the last minute the ref is supposed to apply the rules. He is not supposed to say it's too early in the game to send someone off so I'll ignore that offence!

Now, admittedly the black card for the tipp guy was probably harsh, but to be fair to the ref, he has to make a call on it! If he thinks it's a black card offence then he has to issue the card, regardless of the fact that it was very early in the game.

AZOffaly

Especially when the definition of common sense appears to be 'don't apply the rules where they negatively impact my team unless the game is won'

westbound

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 26, 2016, 10:12:25 AM
Especially when the definition of common sense appears to be 'don't apply the rules where they negatively impact my team unless the game is won'

;D ;D ;D

Very True!

Rossfan

Quote from: westbound on August 26, 2016, 10:13:47 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 26, 2016, 10:12:25 AM

;D ;D ;D

Very True!

Spot on AZ ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

From the Bunker

Was abroad so had to watch this one on the Telly. RTE was what was available at the Pub that was showing the game (which I only had to travel 18 miles to find). Tommy Carr surpassed his usual incompetent self. How RTE continue to put co-commentator with a natural bias toward one of the counties involved beggars belief. They do the same thing countless times with Martin Carney (Mayo/Donegal). Anyway any decision by the referee against Tipp was questioned by Tipp Tom. Marty rowed in now and again, but after a while realised he had to hold his station. Naturally any neutral would want Tipp to win ( I would if they were playing anybody else). But you have to have balance when commentating on a game, especially when you are getting paid for it and it's not on a local radio station. Despite this, I was glad to get to see it as I thought I might be relying on score updates from the net.

This was always going to be a potential banana skin for Mayo. Win by a lot - and sure it's only a Third division side. Win by a little - and get less credit. Lose - and you need not think of coming home. Semi finals are all about winning. And Mayo did that. We were great for the last 15 minutes of the first half, really we won the game here. The second quarter of every game seems to be this teams time. Rest of the game we were either average or completely useless. But, we won the game pulling up thanks mainly to a lucky goal. Despite our mediocrity we are still closing games out comfortably. Unlike Kerry and Dublin, this group have had a lot of games this summer and in quick succession. Just doing enough, seems to be the order of the day. Winning by more, while picking up suspensions or injuries is not what we want.

So here we are 70 minutes away from heaven or another hell. Hype is non existent. If we had beaten Tyrone in the semi final there would have been the crest of wave feel. But that Quarter final win has been forgotten and suddenly Tyrone who were called a Division One team before we played them have down graded by the media to a Promoted team from division two. After Sundays El Classico, there will be little or no talk of Mayo. Just about Kerry or Dublin definitely winning another title. Any sort of mad formation can start the final for Mayo. Have we ever went into an AI final better?

iorras

To answer your question, we probably haven't come in better nick from an expectation point and the weird way that is considered an advantage only in GAA but not in any other sport :)
But, theres always the possibility that some of the weaknesses we've seen this year, such as:
1. Fading badly in games for long periods, for whatever reason
2. acceding the space between midfield and up to around our 21 to allow teams to run at us
will come back to haunt us badly in the final

I hate to bring it up but I have distinct not very pleasant memories of staring at the concrete in the Cusack after 20 minutes in the 2004 and 2006 finals watching the flaws that we had seen previously in those few seasons which we had taken a "sure it'll be all right" on the day attitude to prior to those games, being ruthlessly exposed by Kerry on both occasions.
I know this team is different and all that, but it does worry me some.

From the Bunker

Quote from: iorras on August 26, 2016, 12:02:52 PM
To answer your question, we probably haven't come in better nick from an expectation point and the weird way that is considered an advantage only in GAA but not in any other sport :)
But, theres always the possibility that some of the weaknesses we've seen this year, such as:
1. Fading badly in games for long periods, for whatever reason
2. acceding the space between midfield and up to around our 21 to allow teams to run at us
will come back to haunt us badly in the final

I hate to bring it up but I have distinct not very pleasant memories of staring at the concrete in the Cusack after 20 minutes in the 2004 and 2006 finals watching the flaws that we had seen previously in those few seasons which we had taken a "sure it'll be all right" on the day attitude to prior to those games, being ruthlessly exposed by Kerry on both occasions.
I know this team is different and all that, but it does worry me some.

Yeah, the gun-ho attitude we went into games has been lost this year. We are more conservative. Not saying we won't get a hiding! Who is to know? Rochford looks to be very influenced with our goal concession. This is his priority.

I have to say I seen (we all seen) the hiding in the 2006 final!

The last days win over Tipp reminded me of 1997 when we beat Offaly after a workman like performance, this came after the high of beating Galway. We ended up very flat in that final.