Tipp v Mayo AI semi final (still doesnt sound right!!)

Started by tippabu, August 07, 2016, 10:48:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Jinxy on August 07, 2016, 08:19:20 PM
One thing's for sure, Tipp won't fear Mayo.
They should be afraid, very afraid.
I must watch effing Eddie again.

AZOffaly

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 07, 2016, 08:03:09 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 07, 2016, 06:14:27 PM
The GAA neutral world will be hoping this Tipperary fairytale season continues with another win against the odds in this game. 2016 has been the year of team sport underdogs why not one more? Football GAA championship has been crying out for a underdog story like this for years.

I don't buy into routing for the underdog. Mayo should have earned the respect of every GAA fan in the country by now with their relentless pursuit of Sam over the years and their determination to keep returning year after year putting in some immense performances along the way without the ultimate reward. They have shipped some heavy defeats in finals and lost some epic matches after replays which would have killed off most teams. Tipp have done well but i think Mayo are much more deserving of another crack at Sam and will most likely provide us with a more competitive final.

I agree with most of that. I have huge respect for how Mayo keep coming back to the well. Of course I'd love to see Tipp qualify for an All Ireland, but you'd have to think Mayo would have a good chance in a final, whereas Tipp would be massive outsiders. This is all bonus territory for Tipp, and I expect them to play with a bit of freedom, but Mayo are battle hardened and experienced, and have their target as Sam, not a Final.

The bit I don't agree with is 'deserving'. You get what you deserve, and if Tipp make it there, with all the circumstances, they will deserve it too.

BennyHarp

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 07, 2016, 08:54:54 PM
The GAA neutral world will be hoping this Tipperary fairytale season continues with another win against the odds in this game. 2016 has been the year of team sport underdogs why not one more? Football GAA championship has been crying out for a underdog story like this for years.

I don't buy into routing for the underdog. Mayo should have earned the respect of every GAA fan in the country by now with their relentless pursuit of Sam over the years and their determination to keep returning year after year putting in some immense performances along the way without the ultimate reward. They have shipped some heavy defeats in finals and lost some epic matches after replays which would have killed off most teams. Tipp have done well but i think Mayo are much more deserving of another crack at Sam and will most likely provide us with a more competitive final.

I agree with most of that. I have huge respect for how Mayo keep coming back to the well. Of course I'd love to see Tipp qualify for an All Ireland, but you'd have to think Mayo would have a good chance in a final, whereas Tipp would be massive outsiders. This is all bonus territory for Tipp, and I expect them to play with a bit of freedom, but Mayo are battle hardened and experienced, and have their target as Sam, not a Final.

The bit I don't agree with is 'deserving'. You get what you deserve, and if Tipp make it there, with all the circumstances, they will deserve it too.

Aye, perhaps deserving wasn't the correct word as you normally get what you deserve in this game and if Tipp can pull off another victory, then of course they will deserve it. The point I was trying to make was that if ever a team has earned the respect of the neutral in their pursuit of Sam then it's Mayo!
That was never a square ball!!

AZOffaly

Absolutely. They remind me of Munster and the Heineken Cup odyssey. I'd love to see them win it, but I'd prefer to see Tipp win it :)

Farrandeelin

I wonder have they gained respect though. Pundits definitely don't. Mayo even on here were accused of 'choking' despite Tyrone kicking terrible wides at the end. And if Mayo do beat Tipp, the same clichés will ring out before the final and the same people in this forum will continue to have digs at the players if, God help them Dublin or Kerry win it. It sickens my hole. All this Sam or bust - is generally a media consensus that most Mayo people disagree with. I do agree with AZ though. Nothing is deservrd, the players know that as well I'm sure.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

macdanger2

Great win, I thought Keegan, Harrison, Dillon, Moran, AOS, COC and Parsons were all very good. DOC didn't look fit at all. It wasn't looking good when Tyrone went 11-10 up, I thought we looked very tired and our goose was cooked. Fair play to the players for plugging away and getting the win. I'd say McGee and plenty of other journos had their pieces roasting the players about the heave all ready to send to print, hold on to them for another couple of weeks lads  ;D

Tyrone badly need a free taker

Edit: wrong thread  :o

BennyHarp

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 07, 2016, 09:05:32 PM

I wonder have they gained respect though. Pundits definitely don't. Mayo even on here were accused of 'choking' despite Tyrone kicking terrible wides at the end. And if Mayo do beat Tipp, the same clichés will ring out before the final and the same people in this forum will continue to have digs at the players if, God help them Dublin or Kerry win it. It sickens my hole. All this Sam or bust - is generally a media consensus that most Mayo people disagree with. I do agree with AZ though. Nothing is deservrd, the players know that as well I'm sure.

The chokers thing is just a good jibe to chuck at Mayo for those wanting a dig, I've used it myself on occasion on here! But, If anything Tyrone choked yesterday when the game was there to be won. Every team has had their moments when a choking accusation could be thrown. A great Kerry team could be accused of choking every time they played Tyrone in a big game in the 00s. Mayo have been there at the business end of the championship for the best part of 12 years so their players have come under intense scrutiny in that time but have always found the resolve to keep coming back to the well and raise their game. More than once over the years, I've said.."well that'll be the end of that Mayo team for a few years" and every year they come back (including this year). Hence my opinion that they have earned respect and I would quite happily see them lift Sam.......then yez can happily fcuk off for a few years while Tyrone re-emerge! 😜
That was never a square ball!!

Aaron Boone

Tipp have he upper hand coming-in, 4 All-Ireland's vs 3.
Most pundits agree that 1900 team was a team for the mllenium.

Captain Obvious

Win or lose Mayo will be back at this stage probably again next year and they have got plenty of chances already to bring home the main prize. Who knows when Tipperary will be at this stage again it could be their one and only opportunity for many years to come? And with the new format on the way there is less chance of a underdog like them winning All Ireland.

As for the more competitive final again who knows. A repeat of the many Mayo performances from this year won't have them competitive in the final. Tipperary were very competitive in their two recent underage All Ireland finals.

Crete Boom

Quote from: Jinxy on August 07, 2016, 08:19:20 PM
One thing's for sure, Tipp won't fear Mayo.

Well considering the trimming Tipp gave us in the 1918 semi final why should they!! We will be massive underdogs against the Premier Monster so I don't even know if we should bother turning up!!!

muppet

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 08, 2016, 12:32:17 AM

Win or lose Mayo will be back at this stage probably again next year and they have got plenty of chances already to bring home the main prize. Who knows when Tipperary will be at this stage again it could be their one and only opportunity for many years to come? And with the new format on the way there is less chance of a underdog like them winning All Ireland.

As for the more competitive final again who knows. A repeat of the many Mayo performances from this year won't have them competitive in the final. Tipperary were very competitive in their two recent underage All Ireland finals.

How did we get on in our recent underage Final?
MWWSI 2017

Captain Obvious

Quote from: muppet on August 08, 2016, 02:31:15 AM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 08, 2016, 12:32:17 AM

How did we get on in our recent underage Final?
Very little to do with the point I was putting across. Mayo were competitive in their last two senior finals however their form this year suggests they may not be this year.

Tipperary won't be competitive because they are not rated by some. They were given no chance to win the minor final in 2011 and again last year in the U21 semi final against Dublin they were given no chance.

ZeitChrist

Yeah, I've never really understood why this particular Mayo team (the bunch of the last 5/6 years) seem to get so little credit from some. They seem to face constant criticism about their character and "bottle", but in truth they're one of the most unbelievably resilient teams in recent memory. They have been knocked back time and again and keep coming back for more. The hunger remains. Even if they never win an All-Ireland, I believe history will be kind to this team and many of the individuals that have operated in their ranks. They have been at the centre of some of the best championship matches of the last few years and the competition would really be quite dull without them. I hope they beat Tipp in the semi-final. To hell with the underdog fairytale. Mayo's story is as compelling as any GAA story out there and in truth they would be much better opposition to either against either Kerry or Dublin in a final. If they do finally win an All-Ireland, it will have been one of the most hard-earned, well-deserved All-Irelands in years.

The Aristocrat

Mayo's all Ireland to lose now, pretty much a bye into the final.

iorras

Delighted for the players and the management team. I think the raw emotion at the end was a release of the massive pressure the team have been under due to their actions in getting rid of last years management team. Whether people agree with what they did or not, it was a hugely brave move. The whole country is just waiting for them to fail, and if they had lost yesterday many would have been only too delighted to get the hobnails on, give them a good kicking and dance on their collective graves. Because losing yesterday would have meant they had gone backwards and would have even them probably questioning if they had done the right thing, and I think that, more so than anything else, the devastation of losing those other big games, the miles on the clock for some etc. would probably have killed them over the winter, led to even more doubt and probably finished some of them.
Winning yesterday means that, while it doesn't tell us if they are really any closer to the holy grail, the manner of the victory in relation to the brave positional changes and structure the management team put in place, means that they the players didn't make the wrong choice in doing what they did. Even if we are not to win it this year, the sideline showed that they have what it takes.  We have enough good footballers coming in, and plenty that have been around for years that are still very young. Cillian O'Connor has been through it all but is still only 24, Diarmuid is 21, Brendan Harrison, Paddy Durcan etc. So yesterday seems to be a strong indication that we have a good management team, and even if its not won this year, they may just have what it takes over the next couple. Over the past 5 years, Mayo having good footballers have never been in doubt, we just didn't have it tactically. This management team would have stuck a midfielder on Kieran Donaghy when Fitzmaurice through his last dice in the 2014 semi final, and Mayo would have been in the final. For too long Mayo wanted to just trust the player in the position and "hope" it would work out. It didn't and it never would unfortunately.
I think until yesterday some of the senior players on this squad had doubts about the management team, I think yesterday dispelled those doubts. Its very hard to be successful if you don't trust the men making those decisions. I think Mayo players will now feel a little lighter and happier in themselves and I think that will see them taking it up another level again.
Tipp have to be respected, we should have been caught in 2004 in very similar circumstances, beat Tyrone in a battle, "only" Fermanagh in the semi, and they should have beaten us the first day. No question. Thankfully we still have two members of that squad Alan Dillon and Andy Moran still around to remind the lads of that. Tipp will ask different questions, and I would say for a while in that game we will probably look like we are on trouble. I expect Mayo to win but not by a huge margin. And anyone who thinks Tipp have nothing to lose is deluding themselves, do you think the Tipp players will not be burning to get into an AIF? Course they will, and that is very much something to lose. That will create its own pressure. Some Mayo fans will of course get carried away with themselves, but I don't believe the team or management will and will come up with another game plan to try and beat Tipp.