Munster Championship

Started by tippabu, June 06, 2016, 08:10:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twohands!!!

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 12, 2016, 05:36:22 PM
So Cork Division 1 team beaten by division3 Tipp, think that the first game this year a higher ranked team come a cropper

Every team relegated in the league this year lost their first championship game.

twohands!!!

Quote from: macdanger2 on June 12, 2016, 06:31:24 PM
Great win for Tipp. Guarantees them to avoid kerry until the munster final in 2017 also I think??

I think the rule is that teams who qualify for the Munster final get a bye into the next year's Munster final but it's an open draw at the semi-final stage so Tipp could possibly meet Kerry in next year's semi-final. Not 100% on this though.

Serious credit to Tipp, especially with the list of absentees but you have to wonder at what stage Croke Park are going to step into the disaster zone that Cork GAA has become at all levels.

AZOffaly

I think Cork have righted the ship. The Rebel Og coaching setup is very good. But they took it for granted for years so it's going to take a while.

twohands!!!

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 12, 2016, 07:16:56 PM
I think Cork have righted the ship. The Rebel Og coaching setup is very good. But they took it for granted for years so it's going to take a while.

Don't agree with this - the new PuC has a one pitch Centre of Excellence - the still only have a handful of GPOs (I think the number is 5) which for a county with as many clubs as Cork is a woefully inadequate amount - have heard that the Rebel Og squads are harder to get dropped from than to get on.

With the shambles of PuC Cork Gaa are likely to be millions in debt for a good few years to come and slip further behind in both codes.

AZOffaly

I can only go on what I've seen myself with Tipp development squads, and the work they are doing with Rebel Og is way better now than even 4 years ago. Their u14 footballers have been together as a squad since November!

Beffs

Quote from: twohands!!! on June 12, 2016, 06:42:29 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on June 12, 2016, 06:31:24 PM
Great win for Tipp. Guarantees them to avoid kerry until the munster final in 2017 also I think??

I think the rule is that teams who qualify for the Munster final get a bye into the next year's Munster final but it's an open draw at the semi-final stage so Tipp could possibly meet Kerry in next year's semi-final. Not 100% on this though.

Serious credit to Tipp, especially with the list of absentees but you have to wonder at what stage Croke Park are going to step into the disaster zone that Cork GAA has become at all levels.

Croke Park are 100% complicit in the daft carry on of spending ridiculous amounts of money on the Pairc. It's hard to see them having the will or the stomach to take Frank Murphy, or his cronies on, any time soon. The man has a lot of very powerful friends, in high places. It part of what makes him such an evil genius.  ::)

Cunny Funt

Incredible result for Tipp when you consider all the top quality playess they were missing today. Another black day for Cork football which has been too many in the last 5 years.

macdanger2

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 12, 2016, 08:56:59 PM
I can only go on what I've seen myself with Tipp development squads, and the work they are doing with Rebel Og is way better now than even 4 years ago. Their u14 footballers have been together as a squad since November!

Is that really the way to go though - creating development squads at that age? Surely investing in underage coaching at club level would yield better long term results.

AZOffaly

Quote from: macdanger2 on June 12, 2016, 11:23:26 PM

Is that really the way to go though - creating development squads at that age? Surely investing in underage coaching at club level would yield better long term results.

I think it's both. Development squads are excellent in my view, as long as they are not too serious and time consuming, and the focus is on development. Coaching structures in the clubs is the bedrock of everything of course, but most counties would struggle to increase their GDAs etc. I know in Tipperary we have 4 GDAs. One per division, and each of those is expected to promoted hurling and football. Development squads work for us because if we didn't have them, a lot of clubs in Tipperary just wouldn't bother with football, other than fulfilling the fixtures.

In Cork, it certainly appears from the outside that they are at least trying to correct their Rebel Óg setup, and it does seem to be yielding results so far. I can't speak for their club setup, but based on the Games DEvelopment grants they get every year, I don't think they can afford to employ much more than 5. It would be brilliant in Tipp and Cork to have 20+ GDAs, but who pays for them?

tippabu

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 13, 2016, 09:30:47 AM
Quote from: macdanger2 on June 12, 2016, 11:23:26 PM

I think it's both. Development squads are excellent in my view, as long as they are not too serious and time consuming, and the focus is on development. Coaching structures in the clubs is the bedrock of everything of course, but most counties would struggle to increase their GDAs etc. I know in Tipperary we have 4 GDAs. One per division, and each of those is expected to promoted hurling and football. Development squads work for us because if we didn't have them, a lot of clubs in Tipperary just wouldn't bother with football, other than fulfilling the fixtures.

In Cork, it certainly appears from the outside that they are at least trying to correct their Rebel Óg setup, and it does seem to be yielding results so far. I can't speak for their club setup, but based on the Games DEvelopment grants they get every year, I don't think they can afford to employ much more than 5. It would be brilliant in Tipp and Cork to have 20+ GDAs, but who pays for them?

jesus will ya stop giving away our secrets ;)......from what the lads were saying theres a massive difference between hurling and football training, at all levels.....the footballers are all a bunch of friends (still take it very serious mind) whereas hurling training theres hardly a smile broke, its like going into work.

seafoid

the big 3 hurling counties are interesting

KK have no meas on GF
Cork are floundering in both codes
Tipp are thriving in GF

twohands!!!

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 13, 2016, 09:30:47 AM

There's a lot of serious money and business around Cork - it would surely be far easier for Cork to have 20+ GDAs than Tipp, if Cork sorted out the commercial side of things properly, were more "professional" than the circus vibe that seems to follow around the current county board.

AZOffaly

I can't comment on that, as I have no knowledge of the Cork Co Board or their club scene. I can only speak about what I've seen myself, and the changes they seem to have made since 2011ish.

tippabu

Hopefully tg4 will have decent highlights tonight, sunday games were pityfull last night

twohands!!!

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 13, 2016, 01:49:54 PM
I can't comment on that, as I have no knowledge of the Cork Co Board or their club scene. I can only speak about what I've seen myself, and the changes they seem to have made since 2011ish.

I've no huge knowledge either but pretty much every Cork person I've talked to gives the impression that the county board is deeply disfunctional at best and an outright howling disaster zone at worst.

I did hear that one of the main movers behind the development squads gave up his paid job to run for an elected position because he felt so strongly about how badly things were being run from the top table.

The Cork clubs have done feck all in terms of Munster club competitions in either code at any level for a while now so I don't think the club scene is that healty

The big thing though is the cost of the stadium - seems to be an awful lot of bad rumours about the final price and how it's going to cripple Cork GAA for years to come.
Also I did hear that the football championship has no relegation for 4 years which is utter maddness.