Cork v monaghan. 13th March at 2pm

Started by timmyot501, March 11, 2016, 01:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timmyot501

Is here any interest in this one at all. Are many monaghan folk traveling? Are any cork folk going either?

Monaghan team same as that from last Sunday v mayo.  And no Kieran Hughes again.

upmonaghansayswe

Did he do much damage does anyone know?. Didnt think it was too serious at the time...

Ah yeah, sure a few of us will wander down for a look!. Hopefully its third time lucky away in Cork for this group. Been 5 years since our last trip!. Weekend of the 2011 Election if my memory serves me.

charlie linkbox

Heading down myself.
Loser will get relegated imo so its a big game. Can't recall ever beating Cork in my lifetime (could be wrong) so now's the time to correct that.
Wonder will this thread get to Page 2......

twohands!!!

Quote from: timmyot501 on March 11, 2016, 01:52:51 PM
Is here any interest in this one at all. Are many monaghan folk traveling? Are any cork folk going either?

Monaghan team same as that from last Sunday v mayo.  And no Kieran Hughes again.

Could be a record low in terms of Cork home supporters after the last game.

Mayo and Roscommon both had more supporters than there were Cork supporters at Cork's last two home games - will Monaghan make it a three in a row?

Beffs

Quote from: charlie linkbox on March 11, 2016, 03:58:07 PM
Heading down myself.
Loser will get relegated imo so its a big game. Can't recall ever beating Cork in my lifetime (could be wrong) so now's the time to correct that.
Wonder will this thread get to Page 2......

Not necessarily. If Cork win, they'll just be on the same points as Monaghan (4) with two rounds to go. If Cork lose, it's good new for Monaghan and bad news for Cork, obviously, but the Mayo V Kerry game is important too. If Mayo win, they'll be on 4 pts too. If they lose, they'll be on the same pts as Cork if they lose to Monaghan. If Kerry lose to Mayo, they'll be on 4 pts too.

So with two more rounds to go after this weekend,  it's all to play for really. Down are a definite to be relegated, but the season could well end with 2-3 counties all on the same pts, be it 4 or 6. Who gets the second relegation spot, may very well be decided by scoring difference and head to head meetings, not points.

gwan-ye-boy-ya

All this talk about Monaghans great defence. Looking back we haven't really defended 'great' since the 2013 c'ship.(bar one or two games).
Is it complacency ? or what ? Never mind the one scoring forward or weak midfield. Now when we lose possession we cant stop the opponents. 1-20 against a cork team who got their asses handed to them for the past month. This is sh**e........
Kerry coming up next week. Need to get back to what made us in 2013.

redzone

What made Monaghan in 2013 was there Ulster win. Donegal were extremely unlucky in that final and prob suffering a bit from over confidence. Tyrone were in the rebuilding stage and Monaghan took full advantage of this. Fair play to them but I can't see them getting back to that level now Tyrone and donegal are back on the scene

Maguire01

Quote from: redzone on March 13, 2016, 06:06:59 PM
What made Monaghan in 2013 was there Ulster win. Donegal were extremely unlucky in that final and prob suffering a bit from over confidence. Tyrone were in the rebuilding stage and Monaghan took full advantage of this. Fair play to them but I can't see them getting back to that level now Tyrone and donegal are back on the scene
Get a grip, they were well beaten in 2013. Monaghan rode their luck in 2015, but in 2013 they were deserving winners.

Maguire01

Quote from: gwan-ye-boy-ya on March 13, 2016, 04:57:40 PM
All this talk about Monaghans great defence. Looking back we haven't really defended 'great' since the 2013 c'ship.(bar one or two games).
Is it complacency ? or what ? Never mind the one scoring forward or weak midfield. Now when we lose possession we cant stop the opponents. 1-20 against a cork team who got their asses handed to them for the past month. This is sh**e........
I wasn't at today's game, but think our defence would be grand if we could sort out midfield.

gwan-ye-boy-ya

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 13, 2016, 06:31:44 PM
Quote from: gwan-ye-boy-ya on March 13, 2016, 04:57:40 PM
I wasn't at today's game, but think our defence would be grand if we could sort out midfield.

The whole idea of defence is to stop opponents. Midfield wont win possession all the time.

Main Street

We were doomed once Timmy titled the thread  Cork v monaghan.

J70

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 13, 2016, 06:30:08 PM
Get a grip, they were well beaten in 2013. Monaghan rode their luck in 2015, but in 2013 they were deserving winners.

Yep, there was no luck about 2013. Could have been ten points.

redzone

Quote from: J70 on March 13, 2016, 06:58:56 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on March 13, 2016, 06:30:08 PM

Yep, there was no luck about 2013. Could have been ten points.

Yeah I'm totally wrong on that final. Could have swore it was a 1 point win. Apologies

gwan-ye-boy-ya

yep. Complacency . Monaghans defence is very rarely if ever criticized (even when they do leak a big score ). The lads need to get back to the drawing board.
Here we are now, instead of thinking about winning the league we are hoping the rossies can wallop mayo and us to scrape 1 point to stay up.

timmyot501

"We were doomed once Timmy titled the thread  Cork v monaghan."

Sorry main street.

Giving a 7 or 8 point head start to them really did doom us. We looked off the pace all over the field. Bar Conors wonder score which should have turned the tide (but didn't) there wasn't a lot of positives I'm afraid. Cork were stronger,  bigger, quicker, better in possession and also looked fitter. O'Neill is a handful from play and deadly from place balls. Today we missed too many scorable frees (maybe not all certs but cork would have landed most if they were at the other end) and again dropped too many short.