2016 Championship draw......A & B Qualifers

Started by tippabu, October 19, 2015, 03:50:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Quote from: Unlaoised on June 08, 2016, 02:34:55 PM
Why are RTE showing Laois v Armagh who is going to switch over the Irland game to watch it?

3.30 for a game on a saturday is just a kick in the teeth to any fans let alone that it is clashing with Ireland in the euro's..can't see many if any travelling from Armagh for this ...

Be lucky if there is 1500 at it!

Maybe Laois are getting punished for complaining about the whole Nolan Park fiasco!
Nobody likes us but we don't care....!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

AZOffaly

Quote from: laoislad on June 08, 2016, 04:12:45 PM
Quote from: Unlaoised on June 08, 2016, 02:34:55 PM
Why are RTE showing Laois v Armagh who is going to switch over the Irland game to watch it?

3.30 for a game on a saturday is just a kick in the teeth to any fans let alone that it is clashing with Ireland in the euro's..can't see many if any travelling from Armagh for this ...

Be lucky if there is 1500 at it!

Maybe Laois are getting punished for complaining about the whole Nolan Park fiasco!
Nobody likes us but we don't care....!

Sure ye don't even like yerselves!

tonto1888

Quote from: yellowcard on June 08, 2016, 02:35:44 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on June 08, 2016, 02:09:08 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 08, 2016, 02:00:50 PM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on June 08, 2016, 01:53:46 PM
Ireland play South Africa at 4 in the rugby that day. There's Mayo Galway that evening on sky and RTE already have a pre arranged slot for 3.30. In fairness to the gaa it might not be straight forward to move the game. Though personally think they should ask rte if it was possible to move it back to 4 or 4.30. RTE possibly have another euro game at 5 so it would depend what they have on the other channel.

Not too bothered at all about missing a rugby friendly match but that is even dafter on the IRFU's part.

why is it dafter on the IRFUs part?

Agreeing to play an international rugby friendly match the same time as a major European championship match, thought that was fairly obvious.

They don't really have much choice. Those fixtures have been set in stone for a long time and hey happen every year. Can't always avoid clashes like this

Maroon Manc

Looking like we'll get some good games in the B side of the draw, Cork in today and Galway probably in next week with one of Monaghan/Donegal in the week after.

Rossfan

I foresee record low attendances in the early rounds as admission prices are increased by 100% from €10 to €20.
Will 100 people pay that anywhere in Rounds 1 or 2?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

moysider

Ireland play South Africa at 4 in the rugby that day. There's Mayo Galway that evening on sky and RTE already have a pre arranged slot for 3.30. In fairness to the gaa it might not be straight forward to move the game. Though personally think they should ask rte if it was possible to move it back to 4 or 4.30. RTE possibly have another euro game at 5 so it would depend what they have on the other channel.

Not too bothered at all about missing a rugby friendly match but that is even dafter on the IRFU's part.

You serious? There is no such thing as an international rugby friendly match. Ask CJ Stander or Patrick Lambie!!
This is ridiculous! People who want to see the football can if they want - I suspect a lot of people wouldn't want to anyway unless they are from counties involved and cant go to the game.

Reminds me of a story involving a teacher/soccer coach/friend of mine. He organised a trip to bring students to a soccer friendly (proper friendly) between Ireland and Argentina. They were leaving early in the day and they would be missing a mass that was organised for some reason or other. The principle asked the teacher to ring the FAI to see could they put the kick-off back an hour or 2 so the lads could attend the mass before they departed for Dublin. My friend had to pretend he rang FAI and told the boss that he did his best but kick-off could not be delayed because Argentina had a flight to catch 2 hours after the game. I kid you not.

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on June 13, 2016, 11:49:43 PM
I foresee record low attendances in the early rounds as admission prices are increased by 100% from €10 to €20.
Will 100 people pay that anywhere in Rounds 1 or 2?

Strange the hike is so severe in matches with tennous attendances at the best of times.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: moysider on June 14, 2016, 01:36:31 AM

You serious? There is no such thing as an international rugby friendly match. Ask CJ Stander or Patrick Lambie!
This is ridiculous! People who want to see the football can if they want - I suspect a lot of people wouldn't want to anyway unless they are from counties involved and cant go to the game.

Reminds me of a story involving a teacher/soccer coach/friend of mine. He organised a trip to bring students to a soccer friendly (proper friendly) between Ireland and Argentina. They were leaving early in the day and they would be missing a mass that was organised for some reason or other. The principle asked the teacher to ring the FAI to see could they put the kick-off back an hour or 2 so the lads could attend the mass before they departed for Dublin. My friend had to pretend he rang FAI and told the boss that he did his best but kick-off could not be delayed because Argentina had a flight to catch 2 hours after the game. I kid you not.

How twee.

joemamas

Quote from: tippabu on October 19, 2015, 03:50:32 PM
I know we have championship threads and its abit early to be talking about qualifers but seeing as plenty of people have giving out about the A & B sides of the draws the last couple of years said id throw this up to see. Firstly is it as simple as If youre in the blue bracket you are in A and orange bracket you are in B. If so how do people think the strength of each A & B are precieved this year?

A: Clare, Limerick, Kerry, Roscommon, Leitrim, Sligo, Derry, Tyrone, Cavan, Armagh, Laois, Wicklow, Dublin, Louth,Carlow, Meath

B: Tipperary, Waterford, Cork, Mayo, London, Galway, Monaghan, Down, Donegal, Fermanagh, Antrim, Longford, Offaly, Westmeath, Wexford, Kildare

Q are A and B lists on P1 correct, if so how are Leitrim Playing Waterford.

AZOffaly

Looks like the Munster graphic is messed up. They have Tipp and Waterford as Q1, which would tally with playing LEitrim. Then they look as if they shoved Tipp and Cork into the B semi final, which is incorrect I assume.

westbound

Good question.

I'm not 100% sure, but the reason I think is a follows: (and don't blame me if it's complicated/stupid - I didn't make the decision!)

The munster semi finals were drawn on an open draw basis. Therefore in Munster, it was possible to be on the a side for the quarter finals, but on the b side for the semi finals.

In the graphic, the losers of Tipp V Waterford are on the A side. But the winners (tipp) go into the B side to play cork. (Cork now having lost the game V Tipp are in the B qualifiers).

In fairness to the munster council, this is probably the only way it was possible to structure the draw when the following two provisions are required
- 2 teams seeded in the semi finals
- Open draw in the semi finals

So the graphic is correct (IMO).
The losers of Tipp V Waterford - A
Losers of Clare V Limerick - B
Losers of Cla/Lim V Kerry - A
Losers of Tipp/Wat  V Cork - B

So bringing it up to date:
Waterford - A
Limerick - B
Clare - A
Cork - B

That's my understanding of it anyway!

westbound

AZ, I think the graphic is correct (as per my above post).

AZOffaly

You might be right. I know they messed up the graphic last year, and I know Waterford are in A, but maybe Cork are indeed in B.

westbound

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 14, 2016, 02:19:18 PM
You might be right. I know they messed up the graphic last year, and I know Waterford are in A, but maybe Cork are indeed in B.

Yeah if Cork are in A then My theory is blown completely out of the water! lol

But I think they will have to be B.

This (IMO) is the only way the draw could have been structured, because the open draw could have left Kerry V Cork on one side and then two quarter final winners on the other.
Therfore the semi finals would have to have been predetermined as A or B before the draw was made.

Also, in the graphic there is no line joining the quarter finalists to their place in the semi final, suggesting to me that they are not necessarily on the same side of the A/B split.

I remember someone on here noticing a error on the graphic last year, and I remember at the time agreeing with them. But I'm wondering now if it was something similar to this issue? I just cant remember what the error was last year.

AZOffaly

That was me, and it was an error. They categorised a whole bunch of fixtures as A side, and then referred to the winners of those fixtures as being in the B side.