Muineacháin v Corcaigh

Started by timmyot501, March 24, 2009, 11:27:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timmyot501

Heard this morning that this game has been fixed for Scotstown instead of Clones.

Another tough one for Monaghan.  We need a much improved performance from last weekend were we gained a lucky enough point.

marym

thebandit

Quote from: timmyot501 on March 24, 2009, 11:27:16 AM
Heard this morning that this game has been fixed for Scotstown instead of Clones.

Ah holy jaysis >:(

Maguire01

I'd normally have a Clones bias, but Scotstown might actually work for this one - can be a good atmosphere with a big crowd close to the pitch, and we need the 16th man this weekend. However, you'd want to turn up very early - it's a nightmare for traffic.

As for the game, has Monaghan ever beaten Cork? I'm glad we have this one at home (i assume there'll be no away support - Cork don't even do home support a lot of the time). We need the 2 points from this one to stand a chance and even then, we're relying on other results going our way.

A performance like last Saturday's and we might as well not turn up. We need our big names to stand up and be counted for this one.

thebandit

I suspect we might see Manzie restored to the half forward line this week, does anyone know what the story is with JP?

Predicted team (assuming JP is injured)

Butsy/Duffy (played well last week I thought)

Dessie
Vinny
Strimmer

Paul McGuigan (due a run)
McQuaid
Darren Hughes

Dick
Spindley

Jinxy
Jap
Manzie

Rory
Ronaghan
Tommy

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: thebandit on March 24, 2009, 10:18:09 PM
I suspect we might see Manzie restored to the half forward line this week, does anyone know what the story is with JP?

Predicted team (assuming JP is injured)

Didn't hear anything ontoward. Assumed he was taken off after 50 mins played in the Meath game cause he was lacking match fitness?

Need a big game from Ronaghan if he gets the nod. I fear he hasn't many tokens left.. Why o why are they not playing Paul McGuigan? He's as good as McManus in my book but jaysus the lad needs game time...

timmyot501

I would say JP was just taken off last week as it was his first game in months.  Hope he is fit to start again this week as he needs matches.  I expect McArdle to come back in from the start.  I hope McGuigan was just sick or carrying a small knock last weekend because I agree with everyone else over the past few weeks - he needs a full game!  There were a few players last sat night who looked like they could do without a game.  I also think giving Ronaghan another match wouldn't do any harm. 

Maguire01

Is there even one Cork football man or woman on this board? We're going to have to start arguing with ourselves.

thebandit

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 26, 2009, 05:13:53 PM
Is there even one Cork football man or woman on this board? We're going to have to start arguing with ourselves.

There's plenty of people in Monaghan GAA well able to do that  :D

GrandMasterFlash

The article in yesterday's IN quotes Banty as saying that everything's going fine and we're in much better shape than in previous years. Now I agree with some of this but I do still think that a few positional tactical changes could/should happen before the championship, event if it's 11th hour stuff..

Anyways, it's kinda confusing as the average Monaghan fan wouldn't be that happy yet the mgmt think all is sunny..  ::)

Schkite

If McGuigan doesn't get a proper run this weekend I'll be a bit pissed off, you'd swear Banty and him had fell out the way he's getting left out. Not even getting a run last week was a joke, and before that he only got a handful of minutes each match anyway. He's good enough to be a regular starter but isn't getting a chance to shine, and at this rate looks like he won't figure much in the championship which is a shame. I'd imagine JP's fine, it was his first game in a long time, he'll be grand for this game. Strimmer will probably be back in too alright. I'd imagine Duffy will stay in nets as he was solid last week. I wonder will he persist with Raymie at full-forward, he didn't have the desired impact last week but I've a notion he'll start again, hopefully he does better.

On the game itself, I'll be going more in hope than anything else, considering recent form. Despite Cork's injuries we're still very much up against it. The last two performances hae been far from encouraging, and Cork is one team we always struggle against. A big team like Meath so I'd imagine we'll have to work extra hard to get much possession around the middle. The hard workers like Dick and Jinxy will have to have big games as breaking ball will be crucial, we'll not win many kick-outs clean.

Maguire01

On the subject of kick-outs, we need a 'plan b'. Last week we went for the long kickout for 70 minutes, and we lost it about 90% of the time. Some days this won't work, and Sunday may be one of them - we need to be able to vary it a bit.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 27, 2009, 04:07:54 PM
On the subject of kick-outs, we need a 'plan b'. Last week we went for the long kickout for 70 minutes, and we lost it about 90% of the time. Some days this won't work, and Sunday may be one of them - we need to be able to vary it a bit.

This is the reason why McBennett pushed Duffy off the number one spot last year, cause Duffy's kickouts were way too predictable. Brilliant for distance but no variation. It's worrying that this hasn't been detected/corrected!

Maguire01

Still no team news in today's papers - what's that all about? Surely the team has been named for the match programme?

carol6

Well at least you have an ulster ref today and that should help with he tight decisions on the tight pitch ;)