Time now to reflect on the best gaelic team ever.

Started by Seany, September 02, 2017, 08:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

Quote from: sid waddell on September 03, 2017, 11:31:13 AM
Quote from: Zulu on September 03, 2017, 01:48:38 AM
You've spouted this rubbish before. Can you please point me to the critical ladies rugby coverage and the benign ladies football coverage? The GAA coverage is usually less savage as it's amateur and more local but it's bollox to say coverage of ladies GAA is patronising or fawning.
I made a post last year rightly criticising the standard of women's GAA.

Instead of people actually engaging with the reality, people just went into a huff and embarrassed themselves in their reactions.

I can point you to the critical coverage of women's rugby. It was on RTE's live coverage of the recent World Cup where Fiona Steed and Lynne Cantwell provided extensive expert analysis. They didn't spare any feelings and treated the event as a serious sporting competition with analysis befitting of such, which made the whole thing a much better spectacle for the viewer. I've never seen that happen with women's GAA.

Malachy Clerkin made this point in a column.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/rt%C3%A9-panel-s-forensic-analysis-good-for-irish-women-s-rugby-1.3185259

With women's GAA we get nothing but plamasing which treats the viewer as a child - we don't get serious analysis, we get guff from Des Cahill and Cyril Farrell refusing to ever point out the shocking mistakes which so regularly happen, we get the nonsense of "they train just as hard as the men" and "that was better than the vast majority of men's matches".

All they're missing is sticking a little star on the players chests and giving them a pat on the head as if they were at a kid's summer camp.

They still wear skirts in camogie, for fook's sake.

No, you posted complete rubbish claiming other female sports were proper sports or some such nonsense despite the fact that many international Irish teams are littered with footballers. I watched Mayo v Cork last night and it was excellent with a number of players showing incredible athleticism. You claimed ladies footballers couldn't solo for Christ sake and anyone watching yesterdays game would know what utter rubbish that statement is.

tonto1888

Quote from: sid waddell on September 03, 2017, 11:40:36 AM
Quote from: tonto1888 on September 03, 2017, 09:13:28 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on September 03, 2017, 12:32:58 AM
Quote from: Seany on September 02, 2017, 08:41:07 PM
Cork Ladies. Finally beaten this evening by Mayo who were inspired by Cora. What a team. What a record. Such ambassadors the lot of them. Many of them dual players - their whole lives dedicated to Gaelic games. I'm sounding patronising now, but Jesus, what a group of athletes.
That really is stretching it.

I saw a Cork player being substituted with about seven or eight minutes left.

Whatever she is, she is not an athlete.

What made her not an athlete?
The fact that she so obviously isn't one. Athletes don't run as if they're an overweight 52 year old man desperately trying to catch the last bus after four pints in the pub.

Joe Canning and Sean Quigley are no athletes either but I doubt anybody would claim it was anti-men to say such.

Dublin proved last week what atheticism is - Tyrone couldn't get near them. That's the bar for being able to call one's self an athlete.

When the Olympics come around you sometimes hear the likes of Jerry Kiernan say that GAA players don't know the meaning of hard training in comparison to our Olympic athletes. He has a point about the vast majority of them.

Fair enough. It was a genuine question as I don't watch ladies GAA. You mention the Olympics tho. Would your say everybody who competes there are athletes?

sid waddell

Quote from: Zulu on September 03, 2017, 12:50:15 PM
You've spouted this rubbish before. Can you please point me to the critical ladies rugby coverage and the benign ladies football coverage? The GAA coverage is usually less savage as it's amateur and more local but it's bollox to say coverage of ladies GAA is patronising or fawning.

Instead of people actually engaging with the reality, people just went into a huff and embarrassed themselves in their reactions.

I can point you to the critical coverage of women's rugby. It was on RTE's live coverage of the recent World Cup where Fiona Steed and Lynne Cantwell provided extensive expert analysis. They didn't spare any feelings and treated the event as a serious sporting competition with analysis befitting of such, which made the whole thing a much better spectacle for the viewer. I've never seen that happen with women's GAA.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/rt%C3%A9-panel-s-forensic-analysis-good-for-irish-women-s-rugby-1.3185259

With women's GAA we get nothing but plamasing which treats the viewer as a child - we don't get serious analysis, we get guff from Des Cahill and Cyril Farrell refusing to ever point out the shocking mistakes which so regularly happen, we get the nonsense of "they train just as hard as the men" and "that was better than the vast majority of men's matches".

All they're missing is sticking a little star on the players chests and giving them a pat on the head as if they were at a kid's summer camp.

No, you posted complete rubbish claiming other female sports were proper sports or some such nonsense despite the fact that many international Irish teams are littered with footballers. I watched Mayo v Cork last night and it was excellent with a number of players showing incredible athleticism. You claimed ladies footballers couldn't solo for Christ sake and anyone watching yesterdays game would know what utter rubbish that statement is.
I made the exact same points I've made here.

Loads of the players can't solo or find it very difficult to do so.

The skills are in general very poor.

Did you see the penalty Cork had late in the game?

A powder puff effort along the ground that a 10 year old boy would have been embarrassed about. And this sort of thing is a regular occurrence.

Check this out if think players don't have problems with basic skills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EnmCb26i_c

Absolutely, many other women's sports can be considered elite and be taken seriously as such.

Women's GAA is a basically a hobby for those involved and it shows.

You get the odd genuinely class player like Cora Staunton but an odd class player isn't nearly enough to call something "elite".

The plamasing guff here is the ultimate in sexism. The posters who engage in such are treating women like children.

shark

Quote from: sid waddell on September 03, 2017, 01:38:25 PM
Quote from: Zulu on September 03, 2017, 12:50:15 PM

I made the exact same points I've made here.

Loads of the players can't solo or find it very difficult to do so.

The skills are in general very poor.

Did you see the penalty Cork had late in the game?

A powder puff effort along the ground that a 10 year old boy would have been embarrassed about. And this sort of thing is a regular occurrence.

Check this out if think players don't have problems with basic skills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EnmCb26i_c

Absolutely, many other women's sports can be considered elite and be taken seriously as such.

Women's GAA is a basically a hobby for those involved and it shows.

You get the odd genuinely class player like Cora Staunton but an odd class player isn't nearly enough to call something "elite".

The plamasing guff here is the ultimate in sexism. The posters who engage in such are treating women like children.

Basically a hobby? You really don't have a clue what you're taking about. Your opinions on the skill level I can abide, as it's simply your viewpoint and that's fine. But the commitment level at senior intercounty is way above "hobby" level. Herself is a former intercounty player so I witnessed it firsthand. It was all consuming.

Syferus

Why are ye even engaging with someone who's just looking for the cheap pop of attention?

mrhardyannual

Quote from: Syferus on September 03, 2017, 12:27:14 AM
Cork did to ladies football what Dublin are in the process of doing to mens football.

What this Cork team did was raise the standard of the game. The great Kerry mens team of 1975 -86 won eight All Ireland's and did something similar to the athletic standard of GAA. Neither team has damaged the GAA. The current Dublin team have won 2 All Ireland's a feat matched by your own county. I can't see the destruction of the GAA here. Dublin, like Kerry & Cork ladies will eventually be beaten by a team that matches or surpasses them and possibly by their own complacency or decline.Hopefully that will happen in a fortnight if our team prove good enough. If not it will take a little longer.

mrhardyannual

Quote from: sid waddell on September 03, 2017, 12:43:03 AM
Quote from: Syferus on September 03, 2017, 12:37:35 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on September 03, 2017, 12:36:15 AM
Quote from: Syferus on September 03, 2017, 12:35:07 AM
Cork Ladies. Finally beaten this evening by Mayo who were inspired by Cora. What a team. What a record. Such ambassadors the lot of them. Many of them dual players - their whole lives dedicated to Gaelic games. I'm sounding patronising now, but Jesus, what a group of athletes.

Ass.

Deary me. You must have a better response than that. Actually, having read some of your posts, I doubt it.

It was all the response your comment was worth.
So, no answers. You're confirming my already low impression of you as a poster.

Women's GAA has a problem in terms of media coverage. It's patronising, fawning and deeply uncritical. It's treated in the media as the sporting equivalent of a charity case.

It's because of media coverage like this and patronising, uncritical attitudes like yours that the games continue to be very mediocre.

Compare that to the coverage of Ireland's women's Rugby World Cup campaign, was was rightly deeply critical of the team and management.

One is treated as sport, the other is treated as charity.

Your analysis is typical of those who see international sport as superior simply by token of the fact that it is more widely played.

It is amazing to see that a number of Ladies GAA inter-county players with no background in rugby could with two or three years effort transition to the Irish international rugby team. I sincerely doubt that the opposite could happen.

Syferus

Quote from: mrhardyannual on September 04, 2017, 12:54:27 AM
Cork did to ladies football what Dublin are in the process of doing to mens football.

What this Cork team did was raise the standard of the game. The great Kerry mens team of 1975 -86 won eight All Ireland's and did something similar to the athletic standard of GAA. Neither team has damaged the GAA. The current Dublin team have won 2 All Ireland's a feat matched by your own county. I can't see the destruction of the GAA here. Dublin, like Kerry & Cork ladies will eventually be beaten by a team that matches or surpasses them and possibly by their own complacency or decline.Hopefully that will happen in a fortnight if our team prove good enough. If not it will take a little longer.

If they truly raised the standard they wouldn't have won eleven of the last twelve All-Irelands. Just like Dublin being so good doesn't magically raise standards in other counties - that's a nonsense used to distract from the fact a single county is warping the very fabric of a competition to breaking point. By the way, Dublin have lost a grand total of two matches since the year 2010. Two.

I'm really amazed anyone can take this opinion with a straight face - it should be blatantly obvious that one team utterly dominating a sport is a very bad thing for said sport. In a world more open to womens' sport than ever before, ladies football had a great chance to grow much more than it has in terms of participation and viewership but having a single team making their premier competition a funeral process towards an inevitable result definitely has been a significant hindrance to them.

sid waddell

Quote from: mrhardyannual on September 04, 2017, 01:04:19 AM

Ass.

Deary me. You must have a better response than that. Actually, having read some of your posts, I doubt it.

Women's GAA has a problem in terms of media coverage. It's patronising, fawning and deeply uncritical. It's treated in the media as the sporting equivalent of a charity case.

It's because of media coverage like this and patronising, uncritical attitudes like yours that the games continue to be very mediocre.

Compare that to the coverage of Ireland's women's Rugby World Cup campaign, was was rightly deeply critical of the team and management.

Your analysis is typical of those who see international sport as superior simply by token of the fact that it is more widely played.

It is amazing to see that a number of Ladies GAA inter-county players with no background in rugby could with two or three years effort transition to the Irish international rugby team. I sincerely doubt that the opposite could happen.

Why do you think that?

I would think plenty of the Irish women's rugby team and certainly plenty of the Irish women's association football team could quite easily make the transition to Gaelic football.

The bottom line is, Cork have won 11 of the last 12 All-Irelands because they were more organised and trained harder than other teams, not because of any inherent advantage in natural talent.

Women's football is still at that stage, the same stage men's Gaelic football was in the 1970s, when Kerry and Dublin dominated because they trained harder than other teams.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Syferus on September 04, 2017, 01:24:32 AM

If they truly raised the standard they wouldn't have won eleven of the last twelve All-Irelands. Just like Dublin being so good doesn't magically raise standards in other counties - that's a nonsense used to distract from the fact a single county is warping the very fabric of a competition to breaking point. By the way, Dublin have lost a grand total of two matches since the year 2010. Two.

I'm really amazed anyone can take this opinion with a straight face - it should be blatantly obvious that one team utterly dominating a sport is a very bad thing for said sport. In a world more open to womens' sport than ever before, ladies football had a great chance to grow much more than it has in terms of participation and viewership but having a single team making their premier competition a funeral process towards an inevitable result definitely has been a significant hindrance to them.

"Raise the bar" is probably more correct.

Zulu

Quote from: sid waddell on September 04, 2017, 02:32:13 AM

Ass.

Why do you think that?

I would think plenty of the Irish women's rugby team and certainly plenty of the Irish women's association football team could quite easily make the transition to Gaelic football.

The bottom line is, Cork have won 11 of the last 12 All-Irelands because they were more organised and trained harder than other teams, not because of any inherent advantage in natural talent.

Women's football is still at that stage, the same stage men's Gaelic football was in the 1970s, when Kerry and Dublin dominated because they trained harder than other teams.

Can you tell me how you know Cork were more organised and trained harder than Dublin, Mayo, Monaghan, Donegal etc.?

Plenty of ladies footballers play or played international soccer, rugby or basketball so if they are impressive athletes when playing for Ireland they must be when playing for their county.

You're entitled to your opinion, and ladies football is not currently at the same level as men's but your criticism is way over the top and doesn't stand up to any real scrutiny.

sid waddell

Quote from: Zulu on September 04, 2017, 12:03:30 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on September 04, 2017, 02:32:13 AM

Ass.

Why do you think that?

Can you tell me how you know Cork were more organised and trained harder than Dublin, Mayo, Monaghan, Donegal etc.?

Plenty of ladies footballers play or played international soccer, rugby or basketball so if they are impressive athletes when playing for Ireland they must be when playing for their county.

You're entitled to your opinion, and ladies football is not currently at the same level as men's but your criticism is way over the top and doesn't stand up to any real scrutiny.
I would say the fact that Cork clearly outlasted their nearest challengers Dublin for fitness in several finals since 2009 and overturned significant deficits to win in all of those finals is a very good indicator that they trained harder than any other team.

In each final Dublin faded hugely in the last 20 minutes.

Zulu

Ok, so you don't know. I can't say I can recall the ins and outs of all the ladies games played over the past 8 or 9 years but I'm pretty sure all the top IC teams are working as hard as their opponents.

sid waddell

Quote from: Zulu on September 04, 2017, 03:57:29 PM
Ok, so you don't know. I can't say I can recall the ins and outs of all the ladies games played over the past 8 or 9 years but I'm pretty sure all the top IC teams are working as hard as their opponents.
But Dublin have generally been the closest challengers to Cork since 2009.

And yet there's a pattern there where Dublin have faded badly in the last 20 minutes any time they've played them.

When a team consistently fades in the last 20 minutes against the same opponents, you have to say their opponents are fitter, which means they are training harder.

mrhardyannual

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 04, 2017, 11:00:23 AM
Quote from: Syferus on September 04, 2017, 01:24:32 AM

"Raise the bar" is probably more correct.
Quite happy to accept "Raise the Bar" which would be agreed by any member of the Mayo team. In relation to training, Mayo undertook a new regime of S&C last year and completely upped it training after this year's loss to Galway. Pace and athleticism of the current team is ahead of the team that won All Irelands at the start of the century. I doubt if anyone would say Sampras, Federer, Bolt, Tiger Woods etc etc were a very bad thing for their sport because they dominated for so long. They simply pushed others to up their game.