All Ireland Football Final 2017 Mayo V Dublin

Started by never kickt a ball, August 27, 2017, 07:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 14, 2017, 02:44:29 PM
When will Dublin name their team? Do they normally line out as named or have changes?

Presume ours will be named tomorrow evening with 1-2 changes before throw in

I'd say that both teams will play their hands close to their chests for as long as possible.

BTW: If Mayo win on Sunday where will that leave the "unfair advantage" arguement?
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Hound

Quote from: PW Nally on September 14, 2017, 02:21:27 PM
Quote from: Hound on September 14, 2017, 08:48:12 AM
Ignoring the people who get paid for physio and other stuff around the senior team (no different than Mayo, Kerry, etc), none of the Dublin players would have received coaching from paid coaches. It would all have been parents over underage club teams and mostly volunteer past players on Dublin development squads.

Geography and population, where we have big numbers and all live within a reasonably close area are the genuine advantages we have (as well as being the best run county board in the country). Our club game at senior level is better than most too. The work that goes in by players at the 16 top senior clubs is unreal, all training 3 /4 times a week, a generation of fitness fanatics with builds that Olympic swimmers would be proud of.

But it'll be 15 v 15 on Sunday (or 21 v 21 by the end), we can't play any more than anyone else, and it'll be a combination of the most talented and hardest working that prevails, and there's never been much between these two teams. And whichever team prevails, the begrudgers can go feck themselves.
So no county board part financed GDOs at Cuala etc have been involved in coaching likes of Con O'Callaghan?
100% correct. No GDO would have taken any underage hurling or football team Con was on at Cuala or in his school. It was always 2/3 parents. When Con was aged between 4 and 7, the GDO would have taken PE at school instead of the teacher for one class every two weeks or so to teach basic skills. These would be more focused at those lacking in skills rather than the likes of Con. 

From the Bunker

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 14, 2017, 02:54:19 PM
When will Dublin name their team? Do they normally line out as named or have changes?

I'd say that both teams will play their hands close to their chests for as long as possible.

BTW: If Mayo win on Sunday where will that leave the "unfair advantage" arguement?

It will leave it the same way it was after Donegal beat ye in 2014!

Hound

Gavin normally names the team that started the last game as 1-15, so I'd expect Scully to be 12. But that doesn't mean it'll start that way.

Last year, for the first game, everyone named to start did start for both teams.

Probably only one change for Mayo from the team that started the first game last year, with Barrett a certain starter. Unless a surprise thrown in.

Up to 6 changes for Dublin, with Byrne, Macauley, Flynn, Connolly, Brogan, McManamon starting the first final last year but not starting the semi final this year.

Although when comparing with the team that started the replay, there will only be 3 changes (or down to 2 if Flynn or Connolly start).

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 14, 2017, 03:00:12 PM

Oh I'd forgotten about that - so the unfair advantage doesn't always pay off.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Tubberman

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 14, 2017, 03:24:26 PM

Does that necessarily mean it's not an unfair advantage?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

rosnarun

no it means the unfair advantage wasnt big enough and next year theyll try to make it more unfair

unfairadvantages does not make great players but it can ensure average footballers are superfit and can run quicker and longer than team with a average preparation and then play a style thast depends more on athleticism that football skill .
perfect example is bernard brogan on the bench while scully plays Alsowhen  the age induced failing powers  flynn and mcCauley stop them being  running machines they are discarded and replicants introduced .
there is a reason dublin seem to have the best bench in the country
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: rosnarun on September 14, 2017, 04:04:37 PM

no it means the unfair advantage wasnt big enough and next year theyll try to make it more unfair

unfairadvantages does not make great players but it can ensure average footballers are superfit and can run quicker and longer than team with a average preparation and then play a style thast depends more on athleticism that football skill .
perfect example is bernard brogan on the bench while scully plays Alsowhen  the age induced failing powers  flynn and mcCauley stop them being  running machines they are discarded and replicants introduced .

Good management can achieve the same thing - that's why Kerry have produced champions decade after decade.

Beffs

Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 14, 2017, 01:01:21 PM
That's not my understanding of the deal.
According to the Indo, announcing details of the sponsorship deal with Suburu, "Subaru will provide vehicles to the players and management of the Dublin senior football and hurling teams. Both teams will also benefit from a Subaru Forester Van to transport their kit around the country as they compete in the All-Ireland Championships and National Leagues."
I take that to mean that all hurling and football panels along with the management of both sides get sponsored cars.

If we read the same articles at the time, Subaru gave the Dublin Co Board a fleet of a dozen cars and vans. They were divided equally between the footballers, hurlers and lady footballers, with a couple of them being used as kit vans. So that's about 3/4 freebie cars that the footballers have....hardly the entire squad. And none of them are as sweet as those lovely freebie Audi's that Aidan O'Shea whizzes about the town in.

Kurtz

Quote from: Beffs on September 14, 2017, 05:24:32 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 14, 2017, 01:01:21 PM
That's not my understanding of the deal.
According to the Indo, announcing details of the sponsorship deal with Suburu, "Subaru will provide vehicles to the players and management of the Dublin senior football and hurling teams. Both teams will also benefit from a Subaru Forester Van to transport their kit around the country as they compete in the All-Ireland Championships and National Leagues."
I take that to mean that all hurling and football panels along with the management of both sides get sponsored cars.

If we read the same articles at the time, Subaru gave the Dublin Co Board a fleet of a dozen cars and vans. They were divided equally between the footballers, hurlers and lady footballers, with a couple of them being used as kit vans. So that's about 3/4 freebie cars that the footballers have....hardly the entire squad. And none of them are as sweet as those lovely freebie Audi's that Aidan O'Shea whizzes about the town in.
Speaking of Aidan
Has he picked the team yet  ;D

Mayo4Sam14

Lads would you ever shut up about vans and sponsors and that crap. Bloody hell a sponsored van doesnt put the ball over the bar and dublin have a better sponsor because they win more and are a better team ie, people want to sponsor them. Theyre a very fit, athletic team but youre talking as if thats by some elusive cheat code only dublin possess. Maybe some counties should stop complaining and go try and improve their own teams. Do some strength and conditioning? Get a manager who knows what a tactic is? Etc. Sick of all these excuses of how its dublins fault that longford or any other county are crap.
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Mayo4Sam14

Any chance of someone actually mentioning the match or is this thread strictly whingefest only?
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Syferus

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 14, 2017, 04:21:04 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on September 14, 2017, 04:04:37 PM

Good management can achieve the same thing - that's why Kerry have produced champions decade after decade.

I really don't know who is taking your one-note distract-athon approach to the many advantages that make Dublin's lead over every other county sustainable seriously.

Probably just the vested interests that benefit from the status quo.

What Dublin supporters who won't stand up and be honest with themselves about what is happening are basically saying is "f**k the greater good".

Don't worry, everyone else is hearing the message loud and clear. There will be a reckoning for Dublin one way or the other and the only question is how much damage HQ will allow happen in service of the all-mighty dollar before something is done. It's sad that even grassroots people in Dublin take the same approach as the fat cat executives.

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on September 14, 2017, 05:56:21 PM
Lads would you ever shut up about vans and sponsors and that crap. Bloody hell a sponsored van doesnt put the ball over the bar and dublin have a better sponsor because they win more and are a better team ie, people want to sponsor them. Theyre a very fit, athletic team but youre talking as if thats by some elusive cheat code only dublin possess. Maybe some counties should stop complaining and go try and improve their own teams. Do some strength and conditioning? Get a manager who knows what a tactic is? Etc. Sick of all these excuses of how its dublins fault that longford or any other county are crap.

Sound man ;)

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on September 14, 2017, 05:58:00 PM
Any chance of someone actually mentioning the match or is this thread strictly whingefest only?

One of the many imponderables about this intriguing game is how much Mayo's marathon road to the final may have taken from them - having had to peak a number of times. Will they be able to raise their game again next Sunday. Who knows. But if they do and can pull it off, fair dues to them.