Mayo manager resigns - for defo.

Started by moysider, August 27, 2018, 12:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: Hound on August 28, 2018, 08:49:27 AM
Always thought Rochford took far too much stick for changing the keepers in the AI replay. What balls that took.
Because Hennelly made a howler, it'll go down as a de facto poor decision, but you couldn't legislate for that and there was a lot of merit in the choice he made. Clarke had a mediocre day in the final, and Hennelly is, on average, a much better kicker-outer. Clarke's final kickout over the line in 2017 was exactly the type of thing Rochford was trying to avoid in 16 I'd guess.

Personally I would think he'd be well sought after by other counties now.

Nothing from the players yet as far as I know? Any chance they could stick their necks out and ask SR and Mayo CB to have a re-think I wonder. (Especially given the Breaffy invovlement!)

I have a lot of time for Hennelly, I think he's a quality keeper. I don't blame him for anything. There might be some logic but you just don't make that change for an All Ireland. It's what I said when I heard about the change before the match in 2016, and I'll stand by it two years, any keeper but particularly Hennelly isn't going to be confident not having played all year and it seemed both unnecessary and disaster waiting to happen. That's how it turns out, and this is nothing against Hennelly, a confident Hennelly catches that ball all day long.
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

cornetto

I can see rochford taking a year out from management,possibly return to corofin to get another all ireland club title and then do a john o Mahoney and bring the holy grail back to Galway, now that would be the ultimate up yours to the mayo county board!!😁

Duine Eile

Quote from: cornetto on August 28, 2018, 10:33:13 PM
I can see rochford taking a year out from management,possibly return to corofin to get another all ireland club title and then do a john o Mahoney and bring the holy grail back to Galway, now that would be the ultimate up yours to the mayo county board!!😁

Don't think Corofin would want him cornetto, they've improved since he left and won another title with local lads in charge, some savings on the old "expenses" from Rochford's time there!

larryin89

Idgaf what Galway do . Genuinely thought ye were going to make the breakthrough  this year and announce yourselves as a top team , tbh I was completely wrong , yer shite.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Duine Eile

Still managed to beat Mayo 3 times since January, shite and all as we are.  :)

larryin89

You keep telling yourself that was an achievement , cause I hope that's what your focus is . Real truth is you know ,I know  everyone with a bit of cop knows ye never beat Mayo at full throttle in this era .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on August 28, 2018, 01:25:09 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 28, 2018, 10:28:19 AM
It seems like Rochford resigned because he was left with no other option, he had stated last week that he wanted to stay and then was given 2 weeks to finalise a backroom team, unrealistic

There is a whole lot of propaganda going on in the county, so you need to know where the information is coming from and what that person gains from that news being out there.
I spoke to Noel Connelly a couple of weeks back, he told me the players didn't want Rochford but that they couldn't go against another manager and that McEntee would go for the job but not against Rochford. Who knows how much of that is true, how much of it is spin from he CB and how much of it is sour grapes against the players that ousted him. Any of those are a believable and understandable.

Its a mess

Personally I think Rochford did a great job, he got no credit within the county. I think especially in Ballina he was vilified for the Clarke thing and not playing Regan, the daggers were out for him locally. I also think his time was up. We were at a stage this summer when he had no players on the bench that he trusted to bring on in a scorching day in Newbridge. Not beating Galway eventually left us with too many injuries. But we had probably our best year ever as supporters in 2017

Read the bit in bold and then the bit in italics
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Syferus

What exactly has McEntee done to keep falling upwards?

Duine Eile

Quote from: larryin89 on August 28, 2018, 11:31:11 PM
You keep telling yourself that was an achievement , cause I hope that's what your focus is . Real truth is you know ,I know  everyone with a bit of cop knows ye never beat Mayo at full throttle in this era .

Larry would you relax a small bit, this latest drama has you up to 90!  ;D

moysider

Time for us all to take stock maybe. I was a bit iffy about starting this thread based on 'rumours' but now that it has happened, there was nothing else that could have happened!

Rochford was dead man walking after Newbridge. When the chairman of the board comes out publicly advising a manager in situ about how he should proceed with introducing younger players for next year, it's already alarm bells . McEntee, Burke and Buckley moving on - forget about it. Chairman giving an ultimatum to have a new set-up before end of August - curtains.

It was all just a game anyway. Rochford probably regrets now not jumping sooner. It was over for him in Newbridge.

There will be no cheap option for us now so no worries there. A cheap option would cost the board too much. There are people willing to bankroll a manager of their approval but wont spend a cent on anybody else. They are the people that will decide who the next manager will be - not the county board. Maybe that is not a bad thing!

It looks like the board was just awkwardly clearing the decks for a management that will be paid for by benefactors.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on August 29, 2018, 01:04:46 AM

Time for us all to take stock maybe. I was a bit iffy about starting this thread based on 'rumours' but now that it has happened, there was nothing else that could have happened!

Rochford was dead man walking after Newbridge. When the chairman of the board comes out publicly advising a manager in situ about how he should proceed with introducing younger players for next year, it's already alarm bells . McEntee, Burke and Buckley moving on - forget about it. Chairman giving an ultimatum to have a new set-up before end of August - curtains.

It was all just a game anyway. Rochford probably regrets now not jumping sooner. It was over for him in Newbridge.

There will be no cheap option for us now so no worries there. A cheap option would cost the board too much. There are people willing to bankroll a manager of their approval but wont spend a cent on anybody else. They are the people that will decide who the next manager will be - not the county board. Maybe that is not a bad thing!

It looks like the board was just awkwardly clearing the decks for a management that will be paid for by benefactors.

What big name manager is going stake his reputation on a core of mid-30s players and totally unproven underage products? There's a lot easier ways to earn a crust than trying to thread the needle in a county where expectations now far exceed what is realistically possible in the next three years - the lifespan of a moderately successful manager at this level.

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on August 29, 2018, 01:08:56 AM
Quote from: moysider on August 29, 2018, 01:04:46 AM

What big name manager is going stake his reputation on a core of mid-30s players and totally unproven underage products? There's a lot easier ways to earn a crust than trying to thread the needle in a county where expectations now far exceed what is realistically possible in the next three years - the lifespan of a moderately successful manager at this level.

Let's wait and see. Apparently members of the executive were miffed because Rochford's choices of 'assistants' were in public domain before they were informed. They seemingly took grave exception to that. Of course that was just another bit of scheming to get to an end.

The board here is just the monkey, not the organgrinder I reckon.

BallyroanAbu

Rochford can name his price, some simpletons may not realize,  this fella was the real deal.  Only with passing of time wil you realize, hopefully at this point will you be big enough to acknowledge your errors.

Syferus

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on August 29, 2018, 01:56:02 AM

Rochford can name his price, some simpletons may not realize,  this fella was the real deal.  Only with passing of time wil you realize, hopefully at this point will you be big enough to acknowledge your errors.

Rochford isn't going to be in great demand at county level.

bannside

To a neutral looking in from the outside, and one who would have loved to see Mayo win a Sam,  I don't think anyone could really say that Rochford improved Mayo from the H&C era. In fact you could make a case for the reverse.

The player power that ousted H&C didn't end well it has to be said. Larry mightnt be happy at all, but Galway look primed to be the dominant force in the West for the next few years.