Would you be happy for Down to do a Donegal?

Started by thewobbler, July 25, 2011, 10:15:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

We've always played nice football, but we can't take on the big teams toe-to-toe. Would you be happy for Down to do a Donegal?

I'll do anything it takes to win, even if it means us playing like Donegal
19 (54.3%)
I'd rather watch us lose than see a Down team play like Donegal
9 (25.7%)
I'm a hopeless optimist and we can beat anyone playing six-on-six
7 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 35

stiff breeze

At the minute there is too much emphasis on copying templates of teams gone by. You are never going to be able to find out exactly each step teams such as  dublin, donegal and tyrone went through.  Surely a good county board and management team should have a strategy of their own and enough belief in it to see it through.

Leo

Quote from: stiff breeze on January 27, 2013, 01:38:54 PM
At the minute there is too much emphasis on copying templates of teams gone by. You are never going to be able to find out exactly each step teams such as  dublin, donegal and tyrone went through.  Surely a good county board and management team should have a strategy of their own and enough belief in it to see it through.

Boys oh boys if ever a post wa worth re-opening this is it.

After our dismal "Donegal-style" outing in this year's championship and Donegal's more dismal exit today, the need for a strategy of our own has never been more obvious.

Who has the belief and leadership to see it through? There is no new Maurice Hayes in sight.
Fierce tame altogether

Aristo 60

Leo - I think quality players and hunger will always win out over strategy.

In 2012 Donegal had hunger, strategy & quality players operating at their peak. In 2013 their quality players were operating at a lower level and the hunger was understandably less. Their strategy was still there (as evident against ourselves) although as commentators pointed out the achilles heal to it was the opposing team getting the early lead.

I think this year we had enough strategy and hunger (we should after nearly 20 years!) but we lack the super quality needed at All Ireland level in a good few positions. 

Leo

Quote from: Aristo 60 on August 07, 2013, 04:05:48 PM
Leo - I think quality players and hunger will always win out over strategy.

In 2012 Donegal had hunger, strategy & quality players operating at their peak. In 2013 their quality players were operating at a lower level and the hunger was understandably less. Their strategy was still there (as evident against ourselves) although as commentators pointed out the achilles heal to it was the opposing team getting the early lead.

I think this year we had enough strategy and hunger (we should after nearly 20 years!) but we lack the super quality needed at All Ireland level in a good few positions.

Only getting to this now, but some merit in what you say.
However I do not like our strategy and believe we should accept that our "quality" players are not suited to it.
Fierce tame altogether

Leo

Time to re-open this topic after "proper" game of football yesterday.
Out with the blanket, the negativity, the Jordanstown-led "win win " philosophy that has emasculated a simple game that, at its pure honest best, is enthralling.
Back to the Future, I hope.
Fierce tame altogether