The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Dinny Breen

Greg Allen ‏@gregallenRTE 4m4 minutes ago

Great boost for the Irish Open with a 6.5m Euro prizefund - prime date in mid-summer + inclusion in the Rolex Series. Back where it belongs
#newbridgeornowhere

heganboy

Will be good to see Tiger back playing this week.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

sammymaguire

A weird rules question. Playing fourball matchplay; searching for a ball 1 player lifts his playing partners ball accidentally mistaking it for random lost ball subsequently to find out its his partners ball, what's the ruling? Any penalty to this team and/or which player before play recommences?
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

sammymaguire

Also using the 3/4 rule, what holes are shots applicable with this 4 ball? Player A 16, Players B&C 21 and Player D 22.
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Link

Quote from: sammymaguire on December 01, 2016, 07:01:32 PM
Also using the 3/4 rule, what holes are shots applicable with this 4 ball? Player A 16, Players B&C 21 and Player D 22.

Take 3/4 shot difference of the low man.

Players B and C get shots on Stroke Index 1,2,3,4. (3/4 x 5 = 3.75 - round up to 4)
Player D gets shots on Stroke Index 1,2,3,4,5. (3/4 x 6 = 4.5 - round up to 5)

I'm not sure if it is actually the 90% rule applies here of 3/4 rule. 90% may be only for singles matchplay.

sammymaguire

DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

screenexile

Quote from: Link on December 01, 2016, 08:11:36 PM

Players B and C get shots on Stroke Index 1,2,3,4. (3/4 x 5 = 3.75 - round up to 4)

I'm not sure if it is actually the 90% rule applies here of 3/4 rule. 90% may be only for singles matchplay.

90% all round as far as I know

sammymaguire

Quote from: screenexile on December 01, 2016, 09:04:53 PM
Quote from: Link on December 01, 2016, 08:11:36 PM

Think it is 90% now https://www.golfnet.ie/news/golfnet/904/handicap-systems-changes-from-january

90% all round as far as I know
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

sammymaguire

Quote from: sammymaguire on December 01, 2016, 06:58:11 PM
A weird rules question. Playing fourball matchplay; searching for a ball 1 player lifts his playing partners ball accidentally mistaking it for random lost ball subsequently to find out its his partners ball, what's the ruling? Any penalty to this team and/or which player before play recommences?

Think I got it; 1 stroke penalty under rule 18-2 causing the ball to move in play
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Puckoon

Quote from: sammymaguire on December 01, 2016, 09:26:03 PM
Quote from: sammymaguire on December 01, 2016, 06:58:11 PM

Think I got it; 1 stroke penalty under rule 18-2 causing the ball to move in play

If that was a serious match, the partner who lifted the ball needs a good boot in the hole. If it's not your ball, don't touch it. The partner who lost the ball should have it appropriately marked and indicate what ball and marking is being looked for.

Frank_The_Tank

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

screenexile

Cheers Frank I enjoyed that. Looking forward to part 2!

Frank_The_Tank

Yeah interesting read into mind of a world class athlete.  Looking forward to Part II next Sunday as well.
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

screenexile

Quote from: Frank_The_Tank on January 09, 2017, 11:22:55 AM
Yeah interesting read into mind of a world class athlete.  Looking forward to Part II next Sunday as well.

I found the Olympics thing very insightful that they were forcing him to question who he was and where his allegiances lie.

I don't know why the Irish/British/NI Public can't let him get on with playing Golf instead of having a go at him. In terms of Ireland and the North of Ireland I fancy he will be the most successful athlete the island has ever seen by the time he retires!!

In the grand scheme of things does it really matter who he identifies himself as?