The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: foxcommander on November 23, 2016, 02:54:28 PM
Quote from: J70 on November 23, 2016, 02:53:25 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on November 23, 2016, 02:17:50 PM
Late to the party, been a bit busy. Loving Donald Trumps picks so far. The right men in place to start getting the country back on track after the last 8 years of pandering by Obama. Clinton failing to be elected is another blot on his legacy. Hopefully he will now fade into obscurity but I'm sure he'll be on "Dancing with the Stars" in a few years time.

Delighted that real americans finally woke up to what has been happening in their lands. That said I hope Trump does become a president that rules with a level of fair play for all.

CNN commentators seething at the result is an added bonus. They can't handle the fact that Hillary lost. Priceless.

Yeah, figured you'd like Sessions and Bannon and those types.

You figured right ;)

Well, at least you're openly and proudly embracing it.  ;)

weareros

Quote from: J70 on November 23, 2016, 12:56:41 PM
Quote from: stew on November 23, 2016, 11:21:39 AM
Quote from: J70 on November 22, 2016, 09:56:11 PM
Dick Cheney told us that Reagan proved that deficits don't matter.

(And then they turned around and kept the costs of the Iraq war off the books).

Its only when Obama came in that the right suddenly discovered their distaste for deficit spending.

I would argue ten trillion by yourself is excessive, especially when you outspend the forty odd before you by yourself and the country is still weak!

I wouldn't fault Bush for the increase in deficit spending in 08 and 09 - it was a historic economic crash that shrunk revenue and threw millions out of work and homes. I just can't stand the hypocrisy.

Cheney is a revolting b**tard and worst. VP of all time.

Obama has added almost 8 trillion, not 10, unless you're giving Bush a pass on FY 2009, which began four months prior to Obama's inauguration.

Regardless, even it we do take 10 as the figure, you've still not given realistic answers to what he should have done under the circumstances. Economic catastrophe and massive military commitments, along with the large baby boomer cohort moving into retirement and drawing social security and Medicare... those are the big drivers of the debt.

Of course, the big joke about the deficit is that Trump's planned tax cuts and infrastructure spending is going to send the US deficit into orbit. But the Republicans will be introducing a new way of measuring it called Dynamic Scoring, or in other words changing the goalposts. So while they hammer Obama for a deficit that was driven up by Bush's policies (financial and housing crisis, paying for wars in middle east on fault reporting of weapons of mass destruction), they will now drive up the deficit but subtract from that the projected future growth because of the policies. It's the football equivalent of being 10 points down at half time but declaring victory because you'll eat into their lead in the second half.

foxcommander

Quote from: J70 on November 23, 2016, 03:18:47 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on November 23, 2016, 02:54:28 PM
Quote from: J70 on November 23, 2016, 02:53:25 PM
Late to the party, been a bit busy. Loving Donald Trumps picks so far. The right men in place to start getting the country back on track after the last 8 years of pandering by Obama. Clinton failing to be elected is another blot on his legacy. Hopefully he will now fade into obscurity but I'm sure he'll be on "Dancing with the Stars" in a few years time.

Delighted that real americans finally woke up to what has been happening in their lands. That said I hope Trump does become a president that rules with a level of fair play for all.

CNN commentators seething at the result is an added bonus. They can't handle the fact that Hillary lost. Priceless.

Yeah, figured you'd like Sessions and Bannon and those types.

You figured right ;)

Well, at least you're openly and proudly embracing it.  ;)

Just to clarify - Conservatives. I didn't read into what you were alluding to.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

TheOptimist

Was the irony in this statement deliberate?

omochain

Quote from: screenexile on November 23, 2016, 02:42:00 PM
Quote from: heganboy on November 23, 2016, 01:54:37 PM
So, will there be a recount in 3 states?

Doubt it.

Given the amount of foreign interference in the run up to the election and the obsession that the Trump camp had with Hillary's email server security carelessness; surely, a wee audit of the voting machines in Wisconsin is not too much to ask.

seafoid

http://www.jabberwocky.com/carroll/walrus.html
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

whitey

Lol.....I see his choice for Education Secretary is pro School Choice i.e. Pro Charter School

This will drive them out of their mind

http://thefederalist.com/2016/10/18/naacp-tells-black-parents-keep-kids-crappy-schools-leverage-hike-taxes/

"Black and Hispanic students who attended charter schools in [New York City] for eight years closed the achievement gap with affluent suburbs like Scarsdale by 86% in math and 66% in English

stew

Quote from: whitey on November 23, 2016, 08:47:08 PM
Lol.....I see his choice for Education Secretary is pro School Choice i.e. Pro Charter School

http://thefederalist.com/2016/10/18/naacp-tells-black-parents-keep-kids-crappy-schools-leverage-hike-taxes/

"Black and Hispanic students who attended charter schools in [New York City] for eight years closed the achievement gap with affluent suburbs like Scarsdale by 86% in math and 66% in English

Stupid bastards are hurting their own.children!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

muppet

Serious question: How much do Charter schools cost versus public schools?
MWWSI 2017

whitey

Quote from: muppet on November 24, 2016, 02:44:11 AM

A fraction.....but like Dr Gruber did with Obamacare they make things so fvcking complicated and "tortured" no one ends up really knowing or agreeing

Charter schools benefit the poorest of the poor, but they threaten the very powerful teachers unions so Democrats are generally against them.

www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2016/09/08/the-charter-school-bargain/vpN9lPWkMJFkl5p8bqUdoO/amp.html

muppet

Quote from: whitey on November 24, 2016, 03:12:46 AM

A fraction.....but like Dr Gruber did with Obamacare they make things so fvcking complicated and "tortured" no one ends up really knowing or agreeing

Charter schools benefit the poorest of the poor, but they threaten the very powerful teachers unions so Democrats are generally against them.

www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2016/09/08/the-charter-school-bargain/vpN9lPWkMJFkl5p8bqUdoO/amp.html

That article says both Hillary and Obama are for Chater Schools (I have to admit I never heard for them). I can see why the teachers unions would have a problem with them, but that shouldn't stop them being introduced if they are as successful and cheap as the data suggests.

We have an issue in Ireland, with the Catholic schools resistance to Educate Together Schools (http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0908/815049-educate-together/). While there are plenty of good Catholic schools around, the Educate Together schools are terrific.
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

If they are as successful and cheap as the billionaires say they are probably a pig in a poke. US education is shit. Standardised testing is crap. The proof is in what Bannon and Trump did with the GOP vote. Getting people to vote against their own interest again and again  takes years of prep work.

heganboy

Unfortunately the pros and cons and widely varying impacts of charter schools are beyond the sound bite stage. As a general rule the success of a charter school is directly related to the amount of money it attracts in addition to its actual budget. A well funded school (any school) performs well. A charter school needs funding for the music, science, comp sci and non core projects. Those that receive additional funds out perform. Those that can't afford to pay their teachers underperform. Anyone care to post any theories on where they succeed and fail?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

seafoid

Quote from: heganboy on November 24, 2016, 04:00:13 AM

Unfortunately the pros and cons and widely varying impacts of charter schools are beyond the sound bite stage. As a general rule the success of a charter school is directly related to the amount of money it attracts in addition to its actual budget. A well funded school (any school) performs well. A charter school needs funding for the music, science, comp sci and non core projects. Those that receive additional funds out perform. Those that can't afford to pay their teachers underperform. Anyone care to post any theories on where they succeed and fail?
It must be related to racial superiority.