Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Jaysus we should just give up reading that.

groundlie

I think we've made good progress in general. After the Clare game I felt like we were on a crest of a wave. The last two games have been very underwhelming. We need to stand up to this teams and not give them an inch.

Tormund

Quote from: Crikeyboys on May 23, 2021, 06:23:40 PM
Antrim have no ball winners, very poor ball control and reactions too slow for this level. They never seen to win any shemozzells. They are incredibly easy to disposess. Some of these players have not produced over the three games and should not be persisted with. Much to hope for but we shouldn't get carried away. Its to be hoped Gleeson doesn't develop any teachers pets.
Just a bit over the top there on slagging the team! If u think they're so bad then dont watch them

johnnycool

Quote from: groundlie on May 23, 2021, 07:57:44 PM
I think we've made good progress in general. After the Clare game I felt like we were on a crest of a wave. The last two games have been very underwhelming. We need to stand up to this teams and not give them an inch.

Feck, you're a tough crowd to please.

These lads have been languishing in the second tier for the last few years so getting a run at the likes of Clare, the Dubs and Kilkenny with a huge rise in standards between these leagues is going to take some time to adjust for a lot of the players.

Yes, the physicality is yet another huge step up but with the right commitment and planning they'll get there, maybe not this year but you need to have a dose of reality as well.

imtommygunn

Exactly. Look at the trimmings Westmeath are taking. We're doing well and it's year one hopefully of many more.

imtommygunn

Ah sorry. I must have misread the two beatings they took apart from that match :o

Sure we beat Clare so judge us on that match then?

F**k me we got a good beating at the weekend and we might as well give up. Yeah dead on. Everyone knows we need a lot of work to compete at this level but we're moving the right direction. Anyone who thinks we are going to come into division 1 and suddenly be competing week in week out is living in cloud cuckoo land. We did well to beat Clare, we didn't do too bad against Kilkenny despite what you say and a much more physical team in Dublin gave us a half decent(8 point yes not 30+ point) beating.

saffman

Tough crowd here indeed.

1. We aren't going to win the league nor win the Liam McCarthy. (Glad that's wrapped up)

Its all about progression! How to we measure that?

Laois & westmeath are the teams in div 1 also prev joe mcdonagh in recent years who we've competed against.

Westmeath 0pts & -66 score difference
Laois 0pts & -40 score difference
Antrim 2pts & -13 score difference.

We are doing okay guys! Let's focus on securing div 1 & keeping up the performances. Then next year and the year after that we can really start trying to overtake the Dublin/Wexford/clare etc

Na Glinntí Glasa

Christ one half of a season back at the top level and already we have folk moaning about how we aren't good enough. i can assure you that the lads were bitterly disappointed following the game against Dublin from chatting to a few of them. They felt they let themselves down and didnt play well at all. That says more to me of the high standard they set for themselves and where they want to be going.

Antrim have spent years trying to get themselves into a shape to be able to deserve to be in Division 1 and so far they have done better than any of us probably would of imagined. No one would of predicted that we would have one win from any of those first three games so we are in a better position that we all expected.

A successful outcome is for Antrim still to be in this league for next season and continue to develop and improve our top players so they are able to step up another level the following season.

hurl like f**k boi!

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Antrim are progressing well. I still think Donal Ógs comments were fair and accurate(lets lose the chips lads). Beat Laois secure position and build. We are in big diffs in Derry atm in league

johnnycool

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on May 24, 2021, 04:06:25 PM
Antrim are progressing well. I still think Donal Ógs comments were fair and accurate(lets lose the chips lads). Beat Laois secure position and build. We are in big diffs in Derry atm in league

What's happened there Fear?

I'd have said Derry with a full compliment are a good bit better than Down on the day.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: johnnycool on May 24, 2021, 04:09:17 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on May 24, 2021, 04:06:25 PM

What's happened there Fear?

I'd have said Derry with a full compliment are a good bit better than Down on the day.

Thats it, they havent their best out but the still have a really good team on paper that should maybe being doing better, caught on the hop by Mayo, no challenge games, rusty, shite day. Kildare physicality blew them away. Down flying. We will struggle to beat Donegal who have a real dislike of anything coming out of Derry, id hate to go down.

groundlie

I think the management have done a good job with this team. I believe we are in with a real shout of taking a scalp off Wexford at Corrigan. I think the acid test of how far we've come will be the Laois game.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: groundlie on May 24, 2021, 07:22:16 PM
I think the management have done a good job with this team. I believe we are in with a real shout of taking a scalp off Wexford at Corrigan. I think the acid test of how far we've come will be the Laois game.

When was the last time we beat Laois? Wexford hammered them this year
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

They've definitely had the upper hand this last few years. I'd be hoping this year will be different. Must win game really. Tbh I'm not even sure how relegation works. Is it two down or one down?

BrendanAntrim

Bottom teams in 1A and 1B play off, loser goes back to Div 2 next season.