Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aontroim abu

As far as i know the league and championships will be the exact same format as last year, but they are trying to improve the dates and time apart the games were.  Sarsfields to go up with St pauls going down

milltown row

yes, just to back up aontroim abu, no major changes just better consistency, hopefully with senior and reserve games on the same day!!!

also a South Antrim (beer belly league) championship to be played, McMurray Cup

johnneycool

Before the leauges start have they decided what form relegation will take or will that be sorted out in October?

aontroim

I'd imagine they will have to stick with the current format of 1 up; 1 down if they aren't changing anything else JC.

Lecale2

Quote from: milltown row on February 01, 2007, 01:41:30 PM

also a South Antrim (beer belly league) championship to be played, McMurray Cup
I may consider a come back!  :)

theskull1

Quote from: milltown row on February 01, 2007, 01:41:30 PM
yes, just to back up aontroim abu, no major changes just better consistency, hopefully with senior and reserve games on the same day!!!

I admire your optimism milltown. To my mind no one has held themselves accountable for the failings of last year, so I would be concerned that we may get the same again especially when you add in the "Sambo & Woody" factor come summertime. They'll be hoarding players big time and to hell with the rest. Too much intercounty training & matches in the summer months...its ruining the GAA at a club level
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Tony Montana

On the subject of Cushendall, i just think the step up in level of opponent will be too much for them. The best they can hope for is a shitty day to act as an equaliser. They dont have the scoring forwards, i would also be worried about their keeper, he is really prone to dropping a clanger and did it in the drawn Ulster Final with Dungiven. I would think every mistake will be harshly punished.....

tayto

How are youse set for the league lads? I'm thinking our visit to yourselves is going to be a vital game for both of us, i'd be a lot more confidence taking yez on down in the 'nell.

BottleOfStout

Tony Montana - you know v little.  A "shitty day" would do nothing for Cushendalls' chances. Cushendall would be a good hurling side in the purest sense and would suit a dry sod and ball.  From viewing several DVDs of Loughrea I belive it will be a 50-50 game, probably down to desire to win on the day.

Tony Montana

Quote from: BottleOfStout on February 03, 2007, 11:15:06 AM
Tony Montana - you know v little.  A "shitty day" would do nothing for Cushendalls' chances. Cushendall would be a good hurling side in the purest sense and would suit a dry sod and ball.  From viewing several DVDs of Loughrea I belive it will be a 50-50 game, probably down to desire to win on the day.

Bottle of Stout it is heartening to know the Dall have such dilligent scouts as yourself. So you think a team that had a fair degree of difficulty in winning the Antrim Championship against a team of chokers will match a team that beat the reigning All Ireand Champions (Portumna for your information)??? Youse have a dodgy keeper and not enough scoring, quality forwards....

BottleOfStout

Quote from: Tony Montana on February 03, 2007, 05:30:11 PM
Youse have a dodgy keeper and not enough scoring, quality forwards....

Sounds like you are referring to the "chokers" who Cushendall comfortably defeated in the Antrim Final by seven points.  What evidence supports your argument.  The teams have never played each other before so there is no form guideline.  How many time s whay so seen Loughrea play to know that it will be an insurmountable step-up in opponent.

Tony Montana

Bottle of Horsepiss or whatever your called........It is very rare for teams from different provinces to have played each other, strange as it may sound. I would have to say Loughreas from in beating All ireland Champions of previous year is impressive,and regardless of who they beat the fact that they came out of Galway, seen by many as one of the most competitive championships in Ireland makes them strong favourites against Cushendall whether you like it or not.........I have also listed Eastwoods odds to maybe ram the point home a bit harder cos i can smell the smoke coming from your ears....Ballyhale 4/5 Loughrea 9/4 Toomevara 7/2 Cushendall 16/1. Over & out.

aontroim

OK the Holy Grail for 3 Antrim Clubs of getting to an All-Ireland Final in Croke Park is almost upon us. Any thoughts on what the outcomes will be / news of preparations from the 3 clubs?

SENIOR
I do fancy the 'Dall to win a close encounter with Loughrea - only to stick it up all the begrudgers that have written them off - heard Monty played against Antrim in yesterday's friendly and was off the pace - big gamble to play him?

INTERMEDIATE
Killimordaly have a good hurling tradition, and I think may prove too strong for the Gorts unless they cant get more out of their forwards to take the heat off Nipper.

JUNIOR
Hard to know as Skehana are not Galway champions - think they were put out in Semi's, and had little competition in Connacht.  Tight game could go either way probably.

theskull1

Dabbling with what was a pretty tight defence could be Cushendalls downfall. I hope they are not pushing the panic button trying to get a star player ready before he is ready himself. Micky Monty's game is so reliant on his fitness level that it would be a massive gamble to put him in the starting 15 IMO.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

BottleOfStout

Michael is 100% physically ready.   Problem is being mentally right and lack of competitive games