The Future for Laois Football

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, July 05, 2021, 12:26:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Boy Wonder

Justin's appointment is a gamble and I hope it brings progress. We are getting a manager with a decent if not perfect track record. Of course he will be starting from the bottom this time.

I agree with BallyroanAbu that the style of football has changed radically since his last spell – a lot of us would agree with Pat Spillane that today's football is sh*#e. Much will depend on the quality of his backroom team. The Leinster SFC loss to Longford in 2012 was mainly down to team selection.

This appointment was raised on BBC NI programme The View last night – an SDLP colleague of Justin was on the panel and was asked by Mark Carruthers if Justin would have the time to commit to Laois. He couldn't give an answer.

Anyway, best of luck to Justin and the players for 2024.

Joeythelips

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on October 20, 2023, 09:25:06 AMHi I have no argument in Justin's appointment.  Except my long held belief we should be trying to promote Laois based managers.  But my question how exactly is Justin a massive appointment ?  His previous spell in Laois I'd argue was 7 out of 10, he was very professional and there was a good culture in the squad.  But even at time it was a style of football which at the top level was reaching its sell by date.  So to move to now, how is Justin a massive appointment ?  He to my knowledge hasn't been involved at top level GAA in quite sometime, Laois are going to lose quite a few this year.  The conveyor belt coming through is poor.  So to say a massive appointment  ? His a gamble,  As it seems for whatever reason the powers that be do not want to give it to Billy o Loughlin or Eddie Kinsella.  They may be proved right the only positive is that we now have severally lowered expectations to a point where getting out of Div 4 is seen as a breakthrough.

I would go along with this, development squads should be about developing players and coaches so Laois CB should have some long term plan to help develop potential coaches who may be potential future senior managers. To be fair they did give Sheehan a go of it.

McNulty is a decent appointment in terms of his recored with Laois and our current status but lets be honest here he has his work cut out for him. Its all well and good saying he got to AI quarter finals last time out and was a success but he did have players like Cahir Healy, John O'Loughlin, Brendan Quigley, Colm Begley, Ross Munnelly at his disposal. That squad is worlds apart from the one he will inherit now.

I guess his goals will be more realistic now also, promotion from Div 4 and Taitleann cup final should be achievable.

Butch Cassidy

Tailteann cup final achievable? I would love to share your optimism. Sadly the panel next year will be weaker with the Port lads rumoured to be off travelling and not sure of Timmons/Lilis etc availability.

On top of that, not too many from the county championship put their hands up that we haven't seen before. Realistically it's going to be a very difficult job for McNulty and if he can get out of division 4, blood new players and be competitive, it will be a success.

The main challenge over the next few years is to be competitive at an underage level  develop players with pace and power who can transition then to the senior panel. Schools should be targeted, could another Laois schools team compete in the A schools championship?

We aren't getting enough out of the population of Portlaoise and its the biggest problem for me. Can anyone in here from Portlaoise tell me how their underage setup is going? Great to see Stradbally Parish Gaels go well at an underage level and hopefully it continues.

Blueforever

Probably the best appointment we could get under the circumstances but huge job ahead to get us semi competitive in Leinster

Laoiseabu

Any update on players not committing? I know Pigott , OSullivan and Murphy from Port are all going to Australia. I heard Collins is going travelling too . Any update on retirements either ?

Chrimtain

I can't help wondering whether Justin McNulty's return to Laois football will actually happen! Apparently he is coming under pressure from the SDLP leadership for his decision to get involved with Laois again.

According to Suzanne Breen of the Belfast Telegrsph,  Fianna Fail's NI spokesman accuses the SDLP leadership of trying to "force out" MLA Justin McNulty from Stormont for taking a job as Laois football manager.

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/politics/fianna-fail-senator-struggling-to-understand-sdlp-trying-to-take-out-own-mla-over-gaa-role/a815453039.html

High Fielder

Let's face it, it's not a good look. I was surprised that he was open to the idea in the first place. Surely he saw the backlash coming against his party? Against himself? Against Stormont?

Jd

Quote from: High Fielder on October 27, 2023, 07:51:13 AMLet's face it, it's not a good look. I was surprised that he was open to the idea in the first place. Surely he saw the backlash coming against his party? Against himself? Against Stormont?
Sure it's just two hours up the road. If it was a player who was studying in Galway he'd be expected to go training every night too. Finish work at 5, in coe for 7:15 training at 7:30 back in car for 9 and back to Belfast for 11:30ish. Now obviously that's a very rough and optimistic timing but it's doable whilst maintaining his job.

High Fielder

You're missing the point completely. It's not about what's doable for him. The first time he can't attend a local meeting or meet with one of his constituents because he has training would be fatal. He's already done harm by accepting the role. It was obvious that he would anyway.

John1

Has any names of a backroom team been mentioned yet or is this all still on Tender-hooks
Any mention of players retiring ?
Not too many glaring ones standing out in club Championship to come forward and make an impact at county level

From the Terrace

I heard Ross Munnelly is in backroom team. A good appointment imo.

El Jefe

Quote from: High Fielder on October 27, 2023, 08:40:27 AMYou're missing the point completely. It's not about what's doable for him. The first time he can't attend a local meeting or meet with one of his constituents because he has training would be fatal. He's already done harm by accepting the role. It was obvious that he would anyway.
Completely missing the point is right. Being a politician isn't a 9-5 job & being a count manager may as well be a full time job in itself. Going to be a big ask to juggle both. Be an absolute $hitshow if he'd to step away

Verbal

Quote from: Jd on October 27, 2023, 08:34:37 AM
Quote from: High Fielder on October 27, 2023, 07:51:13 AMLet's face it, it's not a good look. I was surprised that he was open to the idea in the first place. Surely he saw the backlash coming against his party? Against himself? Against Stormont?
Sure it's just two hours up the road. If it was a player who was studying in Galway he'd be expected to go training every night too. Finish work at 5, in coe for 7:15 training at 7:30 back in car for 9 and back to Belfast for 11:30ish. Now obviously that's a very rough and optimistic timing but it's doable whilst maintaining his job.

A Senior InterCounty manager arriving to training 15 minutes before training & leaving again immediately afterwards.
Jaysus.

Jd

Quote from: Verbal on October 28, 2023, 11:22:06 AM
Quote from: Jd on October 27, 2023, 08:34:37 AM

A Senior InterCounty manager arriving to training 15 minutes before training & leaving again immediately afterwards.
Jaysus.
OK would arrive at 6:30 for training at 7:30 till 9 and in the car at 10 be OK for you. The manager puts systems in place for a team. He'll have s+C and verious other coaches in place believe it or not he probably won't be putting out or collecting the balls and cones. I'm sure he'll spend a lot of time on the phone and doing meetings online with all his various coaches and selectors. Managers plan and others implement the plan.