Tyrone club football in crisis

Started by Orchardman, October 20, 2013, 08:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trileacman

Quote from: screenexile on October 23, 2013, 01:23:04 AM
Quote from: ONeill on October 22, 2013, 10:40:18 PM
Sure was. Probably the only side to go toe-to-toe with Cross and come out of it on the right side. Didn't get the AI they should have.

I don't agree with that plenty of teams have went at it with Crossmaglen over the years and beat them but they haven't backed it up though . . .

Loup, Castleblayney, Pearse Og, Enniskillen, Brigids, Kilmacud, Portlaoise, Bellaghy, Vincents.

Ah, I don't know now, though their fall from grace has been frightening.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Milltown Row2

Quote from: trileacman on October 23, 2013, 02:47:25 AM
Quote from: screenexile on October 23, 2013, 01:23:04 AM
Quote from: ONeill on October 22, 2013, 10:40:18 PM
Sure was. Probably the only side to go toe-to-toe with Cross and come out of it on the right side. Didn't get the AI they should have.

I don't agree with that plenty of teams have went at it with Crossmaglen over the years and beat them but they haven't backed it up though . . .

Loup, Castleblayney, Pearse Og, Enniskillen, Brigids, Kilmacud, Portlaoise, Bellaghy, Vincents.

Ah, I don't know now, though their fall from grace has been frightening.

The Gaels team were very unfortunate during that dominance they had, great team with the Brewster's and rest. Played a great brand of football too
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

sensethetone

Quote from: Orchardman on October 22, 2013, 10:10:34 PM
Quote from: SkillfulBill on October 21, 2013, 12:02:07 AM
Get over it you tube accept the fact your county team is of a very poor standard and your neighbours have 3 all irelands. Clowns like you make a laughing stock of Armagh people.  This thread is not about the quality of club football in Tyrone but says more about the petty jealousy of the individual who started it. Boring.

Would you ever cop urself on. 3 all Ireland has nothing to do with it, it's already being mentioned by me in my opening post as I knew some clown would bring it up. Can you not just debate the actual issue here about ur lack of club success? No, didn't think so. As others have said, derry have had a much better scene than tyrone, when they had different winners every year and yet 3 or 4 of them did well in ulster so tyrone can't use that excuse.
what years of different winners are you refering to and who are the 3 or 4 that did well in ulster?

cornerback

Quote from: sensethetone on October 23, 2013, 09:16:34 AM
Get over it you tube accept the fact your county team is of a very poor standard and your neighbours have 3 all irelands. Clowns like you make a laughing stock of Armagh people.  This thread is not about the quality of club football in Tyrone but says more about the petty jealousy of the individual who started it. Boring.

Would you ever cop urself on. 3 all Ireland has nothing to do with it, it's already being mentioned by me in my opening post as I knew some clown would bring it up. Can you not just debate the actual issue here about ur lack of club success? No, didn't think so. As others have said, derry have had a much better scene than tyrone, when they had different winners every year and yet 3 or 4 of them did well in ulster so tyrone can't use that excuse.
what years of different winners are you refering to and who are the 3 or 4 that did well in ulster?

Well from 1997 to 2003 4 different Derry teams won Ulster:
1997 Dungiven
2000 Bellaghy
2001 Ballinderry
2003 Loup

CD

The lack of Tyrone success at Ulster and All Ireland Senior Club level is down to the fact that no Tyrone Club team has had a core group of 6-7 top players at a given time. If you look through the Tyrone senior team panel over the past 15 years, you'll see that there are a huge number of clubs represented on the panel right down to Junior level - this is a very healthy thing - no player in Tyrone is overlooked if they are good enough - no matter how Junior or unfashionable the club. 15+ clubs are represented on the county panel regularly. It has been years since there's been a Tyrone panel without junior players. (McConnell, Gallagher, McCrossan, McGee, Gourley, Cassidy for example)
I think Moy are a great example of this. In the last 15 years they've had County players in Jordan, the Cavanaghs, Ryan Mellon and Colly Holmes. You'd expect a team with those players to have competed at Ulster and All Ireland level - unfortunately the Moy team are way, way off that pace and are flirting with relegation again because it's a small club, with a small catchment and they just don't have the players. In a 15 man sport, one or two players can't carry a team every week.

I don't think Tyrone football is in crisis at all. I love the fact that it is so competitive at all levels and that every player has a chance to represent their county if they are good enough.
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Estimator

Quote from: cornerback on October 23, 2013, 09:32:31 AM

1997 Dungiven
2000 Bellaghy
2001 Ballinderry
2003 Loup
Plus
2005 Bellaghy (Finalists)
2006 Ballinderry (Finalists)
2008 Ballinderry (Finalists)
2009 Loup (Finalists)

The non-appearance in Ulster Club finals over the last three years ('10, '11 and '12) is the longest absence of a Derry representative since the 1980's when there was a big gap between Ballinderry in '81? and Lavey in '90
Ulster League Champions 2009

CD

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on October 23, 2013, 09:50:33 AM
Club football in Tyrone arguably is in a crises, but certainly not for the reasons given by the OP. If that were the case Fermanagh club football would be up shit creek.  :o

So for what reason is it in crisis?

I went to watch Errigal v Dromore and Clonoe v Carrickmore in the Championship and watched two really good, entertaining games of football. There was an excellent attendance at both games. As I live elsewhere I don't get to see as many club games as I'd like to (only 6 this year) but I haven't seen anything to suggest a crisis.

I retired about 10 years ago and throughout my playing career the biggest grievance was always to do with the fixtures, particularly when Tyrone had a good championship run. This has never been resolved satisfactorily. I recall playing relegation/promotion playoffs in early December!

CD

I haven't missed a county final in 10+ years and I agree they are usually turgid affairs - but again I think the fixtures are responsible for this. Healy Park in October is usually the stickiest pitch in the county particularly when we've had a spell of poor weather. It's impossible to play good football on it. Been there! These marquee games need to played earlier and the championship played over 4 months - not 5 weeks so players have a chance to recover in between.

LeoMc

Quote from: CD on October 23, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
The lack of Tyrone success at Ulster and All Ireland Senior Club level is down to the fact that no Tyrone Club team has had a core group of 6-7 top players at a given time. If you look through the Tyrone senior team panel over the past 15 years, you'll see that there are a huge number of clubs represented on the panel right down to Junior level - this is a very healthy thing - no player in Tyrone is overlooked if they are good enough - no matter how Junior or unfashionable the club. 15+ clubs are represented on the county panel regularly. It has been years since there's been a Tyrone panel without junior players. (McConnell, Gallagher, McCrossan, McGee, Gourley, Cassidy for example)
I think Moy are a great example of this. In the last 15 years they've had County players in Jordan, the Cavanaghs, Ryan Mellon and Colly Holmes. You'd expect a team with those players to have competed at Ulster and All Ireland level - unfortunately the Moy team are way, way off that pace and are flirting with relegation again because it's a small club, with a small catchment and they just don't have the players. In a 15 man sport, one or two players can't carry a team every week.

I don't think Tyrone football is in crisis at all. I love the fact that it is so competitive at all levels and that every player has a chance to represent their county if they are good enough.

I think that is it in a nut shell. The likes of Ballinderry & Cross have 3rds teams indicating a large panel of players to choose from. Only 1 club in Tyrone has a 3rd team.

Tyrone clubs do not do well in Ulster as they do not have the pool of players to pick from.

sensethetone

Quote from: cornerback on October 23, 2013, 09:32:31 AM

1997 Dungiven
2000 Bellaghy
2001 Ballinderry
2003 Loup
tyrone are in crisis as they haven't won a club ulster since 2002, although derry clubs have won and deserved to win all ireland club championships if ballinderry don't win ulster this year the 11 year break will hardly mean derry football is in crisis.

GerryFromDerry

Quote from: LeoMc on October 23, 2013, 11:42:03 AM

I think that is it in a nut shell. The likes of Ballinderry & Cross have 3rds teams indicating a large panel of players to choose from. Only 1 club in Tyrone has a 3rd team.

Tyrone clubs do not do well in Ulster as they do not have the pool of players to pick from.

Ballinderry dont have a 3rds team and had to use a lot of minors in our reserves this year.
Up the Shamrocks!

Christmas Lights

The fcukwittery of the Tyrone CCC has a lot to answer for, on a lot of occassion the senior championship is rushed through meaning there is usually only a week between the Tyrone winner winning their domestic cup and having to play in Ulster.

Also, lets face it, its been pretty rare in Tyrone where there has been back to back county champions.  I think this has a big bearing on how teams fair out in Ulster.  Take for example, this year, you have the following teams who will be competing in the Ulster club who have won domestic championships back to back:

St Galls (Antrim)
Crossmaglen (Armagh)
Kilcoo (Down)
Ballinderry (Derry)

Its probably a bit hard to explain over a keyboard but those teams mentioned above will not be getting too excited over winning a county championship, its not a new thing for them if you get me.  They win it, move on and focus totally on trying to win the Ulster club.

Clubs in Tyrone are just so overwhelmed & overjoyed to win a county championship that its more difficult for them to raise it again the following week for an Ulster club game.  When a club in Tyrone win the senior championship, nearly anything after that in Ulster is a bonus.  They will party naturally for a couple of days after the championship victory so its very difficult to get the wheels in motion again for another big match the following week. 

The only way I can see Tyrone clubs competing well in the Ulster club is that if you have a team that comes in and dominates the domestic championship for a few years of the bounce.  Take for example, if  Clonoe where to win the next 3 Tyrone championships, they would do better in the Ulster competition you would imagine. 

Its no coincidence that the clubs who dominate their domestic county championships go on to do well in the Ulster grade.   

CD

Quote from: Christmas Lights on October 23, 2013, 12:28:36 PM
The fcukwittery of the Tyrone CCC has a lot to answer for, on a lot of occassion the senior championship is rushed through meaning there is usually only a week between the Tyrone winner winning their domestic cup and having to play in Ulster.

Also, lets face it, its been pretty rare in Tyrone where there has been back to back county champions.  I think this has a big bearing on how teams fair out in Ulster.  Take for example, this year, you have the following teams who will be competing in the Ulster club who have won domestic championships back to back:

St Galls (Antrim)
Crossmaglen (Armagh)
Kilcoo (Down)
Ballinderry (Derry)

Its probably a bit hard to explain over a keyboard but those teams mentioned above will not be getting too excited over winning a county championship, its not a new thing for them if you get me.  They win it, move on and focus totally on trying to win the Ulster club.

Clubs in Tyrone are just so overwhelmed & overjoyed to win a county championship that its more difficult for them to raise it again the following week for an Ulster club game.  When a club in Tyrone win the senior championship, nearly anything after that in Ulster is a bonus.  They will party naturally for a couple of days after the championship victory so its very difficult to get the wheels in motion again for another big match the following week. 

The only way I can see Tyrone clubs competing well in the Ulster club is that if you have a team that comes in and dominates the domestic championship for a few years of the bounce.  Take for example, if  Clonoe where to win the next 3 Tyrone championships, they would do better in the Ulster competition you would imagine. 

Its no coincidence that the clubs who dominate their domestic county championships go on to do well in the Ulster grade.   

Good points well made - the thing is, I don't think Clonoe, or any other team for that matter, have the capacity to dominate in the Tyrone championship in the near future. I like the fact that there are so many teams who have the potential to win it!

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: GerryFromDerry on October 23, 2013, 12:20:45 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on October 23, 2013, 11:42:03 AM

Ballinderry dont have a 3rds team and had to use a lot of minors in our reserves this year.

Cross have a seconds team and a B team which barely fields.  There is a serious misconception
that we have a huge pick and most of the players that come through arefroma few established families.  If you want touse arbitrary 10 year figure then Ulster club football as a whole is in crisis as we have won 7 of the  last 10 with only 2 other clubs winning, and 1 of those clubs never beat usin any attempt.   

Tyrone football is no different to Monaghan football,or Donegal football whereby there are a number of teams who have the ability to make the push to win the county but are just a step below the next level.  I wouldn't  say that is a crisis as the county is still competing at the lower level chmapionships consistently (asare Monaghan) an if anything that displays a healthy club scene as all levels are in good shape.   For all our dominace no other  club has won at Provincial level at any grade since 1995.

sheamy

Quote from: CD on October 23, 2013, 12:35:59 PM
Quote from: Christmas Lights on October 23, 2013, 12:28:36 PM

St Galls (Antrim)
Crossmaglen (Armagh)
Kilcoo (Down)
Ballinderry (Derry)

Good points well made - the thing is, I don't think Clonoe, or any other team for that matter, have the capacity to dominate in the Tyrone championship in the near future. I like the fact that there are so many teams who have the potential to win it!

I think trying to find any one reason is a bad idea. Ballinderry won the All-Ireland in March 2002 after winning Derry in 2001. They hadn't won it since 1995 previous. Lavey hadn't dominated before they won the All-Ireland either. When the Loup won Ulster, they hadn't won a Derry title since 1936.

However, it's a better argument than the catchment excuse which is nonsense altogether.