Tyrone club football in crisis

Started by Orchardman, October 20, 2013, 08:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orchardman

Firstly, there is no doubt that there should be more than 1 week between their tyrone win and then their first round game against the mighty derry champs. But derry was knocked out long before tyrone in the championship and yet their club final was only 2 weeks before this game today, so we all know the problems with club fixtures and it's a farce surely.

But, surely it is time for a root and branch review of tyrone and their clubs. Their championship is very highly thought off within their own county, as I know they get big crowds etc. Are they partying too hard after winning, or more likely their just not fit for ulster club football?

2002 was when errigal won it, I cant think of any team even in a final since that? surely tyrone people here cant defend such an appalling 11 year record

rodney trotter

Any reason why Armagh final was only today, when Armagh exited the championship in July.

general_lee

To be fair Armagh isn't exactly brimming with talent, the only team to give Cross a game this year was Maghery. In Tyrone, any number of clubs would give Cross a game, Errigal, Dromore, Clonoe, Carrickmore, Coalisland and even Omagh or Ardboe.

The last Armagh club outside of Cross to win an Ulster championship was Mullaghbawn in 95 and before that Clans in 74. So I wouldn't be too chirpy about trying to get bragging rights on this one!

rodney trotter

Was just curious, its starts every year in September? I know if I was a club footballer in Armagh I wouldn't like waiting until September to play in the championship. I suppose it works for Crossmaglen with Ulster Club football soon after that.

general_lee

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 20, 2013, 09:01:16 PM
Was just curious, its starts every year in September? I know if I was a club footballer in Armagh I wouldn't like waiting until September to play in the championship. I suppose it works for Crossmaglen with Ulster Club football soon after that.
I think they like to keep a two week gap between games, to allow for replays etc. It also removes the need for fixtures having to be changed which is particularly annoying for club players who may have to change their work schedules and what not. Tyrone played their championship off quite promptly this year, no choice I suppose.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: general_lee on October 20, 2013, 08:58:03 PM
To be fair Armagh isn't exactly brimming with talent, the only team to give Cross a game this year was Maghery. In Tyrone, any number of clubs would give Cross a game, Errigal, Dromore, Clonoe, Carrickmore, Coalisland and even Omagh or Ardboe.

The last Armagh club outside of Cross to win an Ulster championship was Mullaghbawn in 95 and before that Clans in 74. So I wouldn't be too chirpy about trying to get bragging rights on this one!

Ogs won a few years ago
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on October 20, 2013, 09:06:14 PM
Milltown, he said "win Ulster".

oh, did we put Ogs out in the first round?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ONeill

We don't like foreign food and stuff.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on October 20, 2013, 09:16:07 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 20, 2013, 09:12:47 PM
Quote from: hardstation on October 20, 2013, 09:06:14 PM
Milltown, he said "win Ulster".

oh, did we put Ogs out in the first round?
Yes.

Are you full?

No, are you?

We must have played Cavan Gaels in a preliminary game then...

Orchardman

not looking bragging rights, cross are way ahead of everyone in Armagh but at least they have 6 of the last 7 ulsters! tyrone record is a joke

reddgnhand

Quote from: Orchardman on October 20, 2013, 09:25:09 PM

not looking bragging rights, cross are way ahead of everyone in Armagh but at least they have 6 of the last 7 ulsters! tyrone record is a joke

Are you a Cross man?

Orchardman

Quote from: reddgnhand on October 20, 2013, 09:48:56 PM
Quote from: Orchardman on October 20, 2013, 09:25:09 PM

Are you a Cross man?

of course not. I'm sick of looking at them. I didn't start this thread to hype up cross, but it seems that's what tyrone people want to do. The lack of anything decent in 12 replies explains it all, the silence is deafening

regal

Quote from: Orchardman on October 20, 2013, 08:49:28 PM
Firstly, there is no doubt that there should be more than 1 week between their tyrone win and then their first round game against the mighty derry champs. But derry was knocked out long before tyrone in the championship and yet their club final was only 2 weeks before this game today, so we all know the problems with club fixtures and it's a farce surely.

But, surely it is time for a root and branch review of tyrone and their clubs. Their championship is very highly thought off within their own county, as I know they get big crowds etc. Are they partying too hard after winning, or more likely their just not fit for ulster club football?

2002 was when errigal won it, I cant think of any team even in a final since that? surely tyrone people here cant defend such an appalling 11 year record

The standard seems to be fairly dire alright. I would imagine the pick of Clonoe and Carrickmore wouldn't have beaten Ballinderry. Dromore looked to have a side a few years back who might have made an impression in ulster but seem to struggle to get out of tyrone

Orchardman

of course there are plenty of good teams in tyrone, do you think it's ok that not one of them in 11 years were able to win 1 or even 2 games just to make it to the ulster final?

Why am I picking on tyrone??
1. Because they have won 3 all Ireland in the same time span
2. they are full of hot air and I like putting them down!

And don't even compare antrim football to Armagh, world of difference

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on October 20, 2013, 10:07:01 PM
Why Tyrone football? There are 9 counties in Ulster. The Ulster club winners have come from only 3 of those counties over this last lot of years.

As pointed out, the Tyrone championship is one of the healthiest around with more realistic contenders than any other county.

Some would say that the Armagh & Antrim championships are the biggest joke with one decent team in each and the rest of the teams bollix.

That's true though to a certain point