Ireland v Australia, Rules Test 1, Breffni Park, Saturday 19 October 2013

Started by BennyCake, October 02, 2013, 10:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orchardman

well whatever about soccer, rugby has 10 serious international teams (13 if u wanna count the pacific island), and we are not even in the top half of that group.

Actually big miss that adam goodes isn't playing, he has been the real big name, he was brilliant in the last series over here. Don't know much about this franklin guy as havn't followed AFL as much in recent years

From the Bunker

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 14, 2013, 09:17:52 PM
Darren O Sullivan had club commitments and also has to have surgery so couldn't play. Not sure about other players, Cooper played in it a long time ago and didn't feel the game was for him. Should it stop because of that? Lots of other big name players play and are keen to play.
How is it inferring with holidays, its not like they were told last week that this series was ahead. And if it was inferring that much they would go on holidays, they are  not being held at knife point to play.

Sounds familiar with Darran, had the same problem the last time?

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

rodney trotter

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 14, 2013, 10:16:25 PM
Darren O Sullivan had club commitments and also has to have surgery so couldn't play. Not sure about other players, Cooper played in it a long time ago and didn't feel the game was for him. Should it stop because of that? Lots of other big name players play and are keen to play.
How is it inferring with holidays, its not like they were told last week that this series was ahead. And if it was inferring that much they would go on holidays, they are  not being held at knife point to play.

Yep, article here http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCsQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishexaminer.com%2Fsport%2Fgaa%2Fbusy-osullivan-to-miss-international-rules-244501.html&ei=7WJcUuC4GMnA7Aa16YCgDw&usg=AFQjCNHTDLV7I0kbzYcLQ85PKAXEsSeGPw&bvm=bv.53899372,d.ZGU

HeaveHo

Quote from: Orchardman on October 14, 2013, 09:20:09 PM
well whatever about soccer, rugby has 10 serious international teams (13 if u wanna count the pacific island), and we are not even in the top half of that group.

Actually big miss that adam goodes isn't playing, he has been the real big name, he was brilliant in the last series over here. Don't know much about this franklin guy as havn't followed AFL as much in recent years

Franklin is the biggest name in AFL. Has just moved from Hawthorn to Sydney (signed for nine years for $10 million). Franklin is 196 cms and weighs 100 kgs and unless there is a Irish lad with freakish speed is likely to be the quickest lad on the park in a straight line. 

Hound

I must admit I used to really enjoy this.

I think the rules are generally good. I think the tackle is clear cut and unambiguous, don't get caught in possession or be prepared for a hit. When played properly its tough and fast and fair and our lads are well able for it. I remember Darren Fay and Sean Marty Lockhart becoming heroes of mine for some absolutely awesome defensive displays. I'm not keen on the mark - fine for forward passes over a certain distance, but a bit of a nonsense for sideways or even backwards passes.

The violence did ruin it. That was nothing to do with the game itself. Of course its easy to blame the initial aggressors, the Aussies, and rightly so, but just as much to blame were the referrees who refused to punish them at the time, just encouraging both sides to "go at it" even more.  If 3 or 4 red cards had been correctly dished out to the Aussies, then their plan would have backfired spectacularly.

Its been a bit tame (to say the least) since, but I'll give it another go this year. 

AZOffaly

Quote from: Hound on October 15, 2013, 09:44:24 AM

I think the rules are generally good. I think the tackle is clear cut and unambiguous, don't get caught in possession or be prepared for a hit. When played properly its tough and fast and fair and our lads are well able for it. I remember Darren Fay and Sean Marty Lockhart becoming heroes of mine for some absolutely awesome defensive displays. I'm not keen on the mark - fine for forward passes over a certain distance, but a bit of a nonsense for sideways or even backwards passes.

The violence did ruin it. That was nothing to do with the game itself. Of course its easy to blame the initial aggressors, the Aussies, and rightly so, but just as much to blame were the referrees who refused to punish them at the time, just encouraging both sides to "go at it" even more.  If 3 or 4 red cards had been correctly dished out to the Aussies, then their plan would have backfired spectacularly.

Its been a bit tame (to say the least) since, but I'll give it another go this year.

Hound, do you not find the sight of our lads dribbling soccer style to avoid the tackle a bit silly looking? I think that aspect alone makes the game look and feel like a makey up sport.

rodney trotter

Don't think its primarily to avoid tackles, its to speed up play if in possession. Australians not as nimble at the soccer skills. Adds to the entertainment. It wouldn't be every attack they would drop the ball and play soccer , depends on the situation if there was a possibility of a goal , 6 pointer.

blanketattack

I thought for that year with the very bad violence there was no sending off rule in International Rules? It's changed now but in Aussie Rules there's still no sending offs.

blanketattack

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 14, 2013, 10:32:48 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on October 14, 2013, 10:16:25 PM

Yep, article here http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCsQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishexaminer.com%2Fsport%2Fgaa%2Fbusy-osullivan-to-miss-international-rules-244501.html&ei=7WJcUuC4GMnA7Aa16YCgDw&usg=AFQjCNHTDLV7I0kbzYcLQ85PKAXEsSeGPw&bvm=bv.53899372,d.ZGU

Those idiots in the Irish Examiner think his first name is "Busy"!

AZOffaly

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 15, 2013, 09:57:08 AM
Don't think its primarily to avoid tackles, its to speed up play if in possession. Australians not as nimble at the soccer skills. Adds to the entertainment. It wouldn't be every attack they would drop the ball and play soccer , depends on the situation if there was a possibility of a goal , 6 pointer.

Anytime I've seen it it's when they are afraid of being bottled up or dragged down. They dribble it or something and it looks awful. (In my opinion of course :) )

rodney trotter

Quote from: blanketattack on October 15, 2013, 10:40:28 AM

I thought for that year with the very bad violence there was no sending off rule in International Rules? It's changed now but in Aussie Rules there's still no sending offs.

Apparently so, ha.
He was involved with the Amalgamation side in the Senior final in 2011, Mid Kerry

Darran O'Sullivan has criticised the GAA for not doing more to help players facing a club versus country dilemma.

The Kerry forward, who is in the running for the Footballer of the Year award tomorrow night, will miss out on the chance to represent his country in Australia later this month due to his club commitments with Mid Kerry, who play Dr Crokes in the Kerry SFC final on Sunday week.

"That has to be looked at, that club championships can be put on hold for a few weeks because we are playing an amateur game and we don't get that many opportunities to throw on the Irish jersey," a disappointed O'Sullivan said in the Irish Examiner.

"Playing for Ireland is definitely something that you would look back on after you have retired because representing your country is as good as it gets for a sports person.

"It's not easy for a player to choose between a county final and the International Rules but I know that county finals don't come around too often either, and I will be giving everything for Mid Kerry for the next few weeks.

"It's so disappointing and I know there will be people saying, 'oh, you're chance will come again' but you don't know what the future holds, in terms of form and injuries, or whether the series itself will be around in a few years. I feel like it's an opportunity missed."

Ireland captain Stephen Cluxton, Laois' Colm Begley, Galway's Finian Hanley and Leighton Glynn of Wicklow could also be forced to miss the trip if their clubs are successful this weekend.

AlriteHorse

Would have been brilliant to have Goodes there but there's a lot of talent in this team. Keep an eye out for speed machine Lewis Jetta. Franklins one of the big names but has been bloing hot and cold between injuries all season. He just signed a controversial contract with the swans. He'll be a handful for whoever's marking him.
Allez les bleus! Forza azzurri!

rodney trotter

Yeah , jotta is well known for his speed. Clips here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJu_xQqHt6E
Some of the best talent in the AFL in the Australian Squad.

fearglasmor

Me me me me me me me

Its all about the elite players these days and the average club footballer is expected sit on their arses and be thankful that they get to share a pitch with the elite now and again, when its convenient. See Jim McGuinness has had the Donegal championship cancelled for the summer next year.  Who'd want to be a GAA club player.

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 15, 2013, 11:31:56 AM
Quote from: blanketattack on October 15, 2013, 10:40:28 AM

Apparently so, ha.
He was involved with the Amalgamation side in the Senior final in 2011, Mid Kerry

Darran O'Sullivan has criticised the GAA for not doing more to help players facing a club versus country dilemma.

The Kerry forward, who is in the running for the Footballer of the Year award tomorrow night, will miss out on the chance to represent his country in Australia later this month due to his club commitments with Mid Kerry, who play Dr Crokes in the Kerry SFC final on Sunday week.

"That has to be looked at, that club championships can be put on hold for a few weeks because we are playing an amateur game and we don't get that many opportunities to throw on the Irish jersey," a disappointed O'Sullivan said in the Irish Examiner.

"Playing for Ireland is definitely something that you would look back on after you have retired because representing your country is as good as it gets for a sports person.

"It's not easy for a player to choose between a county final and the International Rules but I know that county finals don't come around too often either, and I will be giving everything for Mid Kerry for the next few weeks.

"It's so disappointing and I know there will be people saying, 'oh, you're chance will come again' but you don't know what the future holds, in terms of form and injuries, or whether the series itself will be around in a few years. I feel like it's an opportunity missed."

Ireland captain Stephen Cluxton, Laois' Colm Begley, Galway's Finian Hanley and Leighton Glynn of Wicklow could also be forced to miss the trip if their clubs are successful this weekend.