Official Irish Football Association Thread (Northern Ireland)

Started by Mentalman, September 04, 2007, 11:39:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keyser soze

I would never support the NI football team for the simple reason that I don't even believe the statelet has the right to exist in the first place. I am sure every nationalist agrees with me and tbh I find it really difficult to understand how any catholic could support them let alone go to their games.

NI is a deeply sectarian place [hold the front page] as a result of the words and actions of the very people who are the OWC's biggest supporters. The same people looking us to go to Windsor and support NI are the exact same people who are swaggering down the streets all summer every summer, putting up offensive flags and beating a big drum and hoping that the fenians are cowering in their hovels, too afraid to come out.

The NI team is a lightning rod for these type of people and should be anathema for any self respecting Irish person IMO. Just because the bigots mostly manage to suppress their hatred for all things Irish/Catholic for a couple of hours while at the match does not change the fact that its a loyalist team for a loyalist people.

For those who say this is a 2 way street and that nationalists are also sectarian, that is just another excuse to pander to loyalist sectarianism.

It is Unionists who have fostered and fomented sectarianism in NI to keep their perceived supremacy over the fenians for centuries. This video is just a small example of that hatred being expressed for all the world to see.

The IFA 'Football For All' is a just a different version of Terence O'Neills 'treat them all right and they will become just like good protestants' as far as I am concerned.

extra time

Quote from: Keyser soze on March 28, 2019, 11:02:03 AM
I would never support the NI football team for the simple reason that I don't even believe the statelet has the right to exist in the first place. I am sure every nationalist agrees with me and tbh I find it really difficult to understand how any catholic could support them let alone go to their games.

NI is a deeply sectarian place [hold the front page] as a result of the words and actions of the very people who are the OWC's biggest supporters. The same people looking us to go to Windsor and support NI are the exact same people who are swaggering down the streets all summer every summer, putting up offensive flags and beating a big drum and hoping that the fenians are cowering in their hovels, too afraid to come out.

The NI team is a lightning rod for these type of people and should be anathema for any self respecting Irish person IMO. Just because the bigots mostly manage to suppress their hatred for all things Irish/Catholic for a couple of hours while at the match does not change the fact that its a loyalist team for a loyalist people.

For those who say this is a 2 way street and that nationalists are also sectarian, that is just another excuse to pander to loyalist sectarianism.

It is Unionists who have fostered and fomented sectarianism in NI to keep their perceived supremacy over the fenians for centuries. This video is just a small example of that hatred being expressed for all the world to see.

The IFA 'Football For All' is a just a different version of Terence O'Neills 'treat them all right and they will become just like good protestants' as far as I am concerned.
Nail on the head.

GJL

Quote from: extra time on March 28, 2019, 11:57:45 AM

Nail on the head.

+1

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Sheugh Water

Sin é

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: Denn Forever on March 28, 2019, 01:09:00 PM
Are there any songs that disrespect the Hun?

Noel Coward said "don't let's be beastly to the Hun". But I think he meant Germans.

Milltown Row2

Do you generalize much?

Do these songs not come across as sectarian?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhrxRmEvW9I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tffBhuUpZn0

Past Celtic players/manager like Rogan, O'Neill and Lennon were they Loyalist puppets also?

Too say that you think it's a one way street in relation to sectarianism is bollix (IMO) you are either blind to it or don't hear it. Is there one side more at it? Possibly and the summer marches and the likes of the Orange order fuel it, if you go looking for it you'll see it.

Not supporting the N.I team is fine, I wouldn't go anywhere near it and I only lived 10 minute walk away from it, and was there for the infamous Donegal Celtic Linfield game many moons ago.
But I've been in plenty bars during certain games and the language directed at certain teams is sectarian for sure, but you keep in the bubble just like the rest you have mentioned and we'll continue to have the same intrenched views. "we're better than themuns"
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

haranguerer

Quote from: Main Street on March 27, 2019, 06:14:53 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on March 27, 2019, 12:23:12 PM
The song wasn't played accidentally. Its a common refrain at loyalist events, and I'm surprised more hadn't heard it.

This is a very good podcast, and this episode shouldn't leave you in any doubt about how common it is.

https://theirishpassport.com/podcast/s2-episode-9-the-glorious-twelfth/

Talk about the innocents on bonfire night walking in to the lions den, holding hands, wearing flowers in their hair.
The bit where the intrepid podcasters were getting trapped inside the paddock near the bonfire, suddenly felt they had to escape and in order to escape safely they had to don an aura of happiness while being shit scared. They got stuck fast in the middle of a large section of the crowd who were jumping up and down singing "We hate Catholics, We hate Catholics" and they were the hated group, traveling incognito.
"I knew it would be bad but I wasn't prepared for the full force of the hate that was emanating all around us"
the podcaster remarked - in the understatement of the year.

would put you in mind of fine gael at the minute

Applesisapples

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 28, 2019, 01:40:56 PM

Do you generalize much?

Past Celtic players/manager like Rogan, O'Neill and Lennon were they Loyalist puppets also?

Too say that you think it's a one way street in relation to sectarianism is bollix (IMO) you are either blind to it or don't hear it. Is there one side more at it? Possibly and the summer marches and the likes of the Orange order fuel it, if you go looking for it you'll see it.

Not supporting the N.I team is fine, I wouldn't go anywhere near it and I only lived 10 minute walk away from it, and was there for the infamous Donegal Celtic Linfield game many moons ago.
But I've been in plenty bars during certain games and the language directed at certain teams is sectarian for sure, but you keep in the bubble just like the rest you have mentioned and we'll continue to have the same intrenched views. "we're better than themuns"
Context is everything, I absolutely love the song Grace having bought an album with Jim McCann's incredible version on it at least 20 years ago, the Celtic Symphony is a good tune to, in the context of Conlon's fight I doubt there was an intention to offend, the banner at the game is definitely offensive. But support for the IRA (which I don't espouse) is political rather than sectarian, but no less offensive in certain circumstances. Singing about hating Kafflics is sectarian. Whether you like them or not Republican songs tend to be political rather than being up to your neck in protestant blood.

johnnycool

Quote from: Applesisapples on March 28, 2019, 02:10:06 PM

Do you generalize much?

Context is everything, I absolutely love the song Grace having bought an album with Jim McCann's incredible version on it at least 20 years ago, the Celtic Symphony is a good tune to, in the context of Conlon's fight I doubt there was an intention to offend, the banner at the game is definitely offensive. But support for the IRA (which I don't espouse) is political rather than sectarian, but no less offensive in certain circumstances. Singing about hating Kafflics is sectarian. Whether you like them or not Republican songs tend to be political rather than being up to your neck in protestant blood.

I'd seriously doubt that those with the banner are that nuanced in their bigotry.

Main Street

That was a dynamite entry by Conlon, choreographed to a tee.

I suppose it's the exact same as 10,000 jumping up and down screaming "we hate catholics" ;D

marty34

Very well said.

I can't understand why any 'nationalists' would support them or players even, play for them. 

Dublin is only an hour or 2 down the road so no reason why they shouldn't play for Ireland.

After watching that 'singsong' and see the night in November, never mind Anton Rogan and Lennon etc, it begs the question why do 'nationalist' play for the failed statelet?

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: Main Street on March 28, 2019, 02:51:07 PM
That was a dynamite entry by Conlon, choreographed to a tee.

I suppose it's the exact same as 10,000 jumping up and down screaming "we hate catholics" ;D

It's not the same, in fact a lot of people would say the equivalent would be 10,000 jumping up and down screaming "oh eh Up the UDA".

Something that would certainly have the keyboards clickedy-clacking in outrage around here.

/Jim.

BennyCake

That sentence was enough for me. I didn't really need to read beyond it.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Applesisapples on March 28, 2019, 02:10:06 PM

Do you generalize much?

Well context is everything and if someone is offended by it glorifying republicans in the modern era the surely that's offensive. Just because you like the song doesn't mean it won't offend someone.

To prods supporting the "ra" is an attack on them be it a religious thing or political.

That shower of scum bags singing we hate catholic's is sad and they are to be pitied.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea