Marc O'Se retires

Started by Declan, October 12, 2016, 01:27:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thy Kingdom Come

Quote from: 5 Sams on October 12, 2016, 11:55:27 PM
Lot of people today saying that Marc was the best of the 3 brothers...hard to disagree..always got the hard job of marking the opposition's best forward. Could have played anywhere...I know he has played and plays regularly at CHF for An Ghaeltacht scoring for fun. End of an era for muintir Ard a' Bhothair which began in 1975 when Páidí won his first AI medal. I dont think their achievement as a family will ever be equalled. BTW Marc is a pure gentleman...so are the other two boys but they have the added element of the same "rogaireacht" as Páidí had..especially Darragh!

The Spillanes have 18 AI medals and a next generation to come!

tonto1888

Quote from: Thy Kingdom Come on October 13, 2016, 09:50:33 PM
Lot of people today saying that Marc was the best of the 3 brothers...hard to disagree..always got the hard job of marking the opposition's best forward. Could have played anywhere...I know he has played and plays regularly at CHF for An Ghaeltacht scoring for fun. End of an era for muintir Ard a' Bhothair which began in 1975 when Páidí won his first AI medal. I dont think their achievement as a family will ever be equalled. BTW Marc is a pure gentleman...so are the other two boys but they have the added element of the same "rogaireacht" as Páidí had..especially Darragh!

how many do the O'Se's have?

PW Nally

Quote from: tonto1888 on October 14, 2016, 09:02:07 AM

I'd guess the 3 brothers have around 5 each to add to Paudi's 8 getting to 23, give or take an All Ireland  :o.
Edit: Darragh has 6 making 24 All Irelands between them.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: tonto1888 on October 14, 2016, 09:02:07 AM

Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

T Fearon

Odd that he should single out Kerry's win over Armagh in the quarter final in 2006 (a game we left behind us) as his most satisfying.Did our 2002 victory over the Kingdom hurt that much? Surely you would have thought eventually getting the better of Tyrone would have given him greater satisfaction?

muppet

Marc was number 1 of the three for me. Probably Tomas second.
MWWSI 2017

Jinxy

In terms of game-influencing ability and importance to the team, I'd go with Tomás, Darragh, then Marc.
Tomás and Marc adapted to 'modern' football and thrived.
Darragh thrived during the transition period from old school midfielders to the more mobile, running types.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Thy Kingdom Come

Quote from: T Fearon on October 15, 2016, 08:03:02 AM
Odd that he should single out Kerry's win over Armagh in the quarter final in 2006 (a game we left behind us) as his most satisfying.Did our 2002 victory over the Kingdom hurt that much? Surely you would have thought eventually getting the better of Tyrone would have given him greater satisfaction?

Kerry were beaten by Ulster teams in 2002, 2003, 2005. Where they were bullied and their character was called into question. 2006 marked a sort of easing of that pain which was renewed in 2008, 2010 and 2012!

T Fearon

Fair enough,but you'd think looking back over his entire career,finally getting the better of Tyrone,after three failures,would have been the highlight

5 Sams

Quote from: Jinxy on October 15, 2016, 04:18:15 PM
In terms of game-influencing ability and importance to the team, I'd go with Tomás, Darragh, then Marc.
Tomás and Marc adapted to 'modern' football and thrived.
Darragh thrived during the transition period from old school midfielders to the more mobile, running types.

Darragh is the daddy down below because of the way he bullied Cork...the two lads are more skilful...3 different players who gave their all for the jersey.
The Aristocrat Years

gammysolo

The greatest corner back of all time. Probably wasted in there but done a job for the team

gammysolo

Quote from: Thy Kingdom Come on October 12, 2016, 05:25:22 PM
It's gas that Marc O'Se won more All Ireland in his and Kerry's decline stage 2010-2016, than Mayo have won in their maturity stage 2011-2016! And a mature Mayo could not beat a declining Kerry team!

A bit like Kerry playing Tyrone in the noughties. When they beat a over the hill Tyrone in 2012 there was more tears and celebrations from that Kerry team that day than any of the All Irelands they won

Thy Kingdom Come

Quote from: gammysolo on October 16, 2016, 04:17:45 PM
The greatest corner back of all time. Probably wasted in there but done a job for the team

Bollox!

5 Sams

Quote from: Thy Kingdom Come on October 16, 2016, 06:57:13 PM
Quote from: gammysolo on October 16, 2016, 04:17:45 PM

Bollox!

Who is then? Colm O'Rourke reckons he's the best defender he has ever seen. Not sure about that but Marc has few equals as a corner back.
The Aristocrat Years