Top GAA players banned over hotel rampage

Started by muppet, February 07, 2008, 12:47:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

muppet

Typically the Indo doesn't say but word is it might be a small unheralded county who nearly won the O'Byrne Cup recently.
MWWSI 2017

heineken_on_tap

Quote from: muppet on February 07, 2008, 12:47:10 PM

I believe it wasn't Roscommon this time.

Don't ever remember a Roscommon team or player accussed of "trashing their hotel rooms in a drink-fuelled rampage" muppet.

Shrewdness

i believe it was a county from Leinster with multi coloured jersies.

muppet

Quote from: heineken_on_tap on February 07, 2008, 12:53:49 PM
Quote from: muppet on February 07, 2008, 12:47:10 PM

I believe it wasn't Roscommon this time.

Don't ever remember a Roscommon team or player accussed of "trashing their hotel rooms in a drink-fuelled rampage" muppet.

You are correct but the words News Headline, Hotel, drink and Roscommon players have been done before. Did the County Board not actually disband the team?
MWWSI 2017

orangeman

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Shrewdness

The fact that these players were described as TOP GAA Players, proves that Mayo had no involvement in this. ;D

brokencrossbar1

Read the article lads, typical Indo over reaction.  Half a dozen lads get drunk and do some damage.  Kettles crushed and pictures pulled off walls, with guests annoyed.  It was wrong and the players have been rightly
disciplined.  But they were able to pay it out of their own pockets so we're not talking big bucks.

Also they were not "Top Players".  They were the U21 team of a third level football county, a team that many decent club sides could beat.

Rampage me arse!

cavan4ever

Are we not allowed to name the team involved ?

LaurelEye

Quote from: cavan4ever on February 07, 2008, 01:12:05 PM
Are we not allowed to name the team involved ?

The H*g*nst*nd message board of the county concerned seems to be able to.

The first syllable is something that you drive, the second syllable is the opposite of high, and its whole ates a lot of scallions (allegedly).
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

heineken_on_tap

Quote from: muppet on February 07, 2008, 01:01:33 PM
You are correct but the words News Headline, Hotel, drink and Roscommon players have been done before. Did the County Board not actually disband the team?

Indeed they were and deseved to be for acting like idiots at the time however there was nothing thugish like trashing rooms involved. The paper at the time got a lot of negative feedback for covering the story. If you put any team into a hotel , with 20 to 30 lads drinking any journalist in Ireland could get a story. Luckily most teams are left alone in this sense

While this is different in the sense of what the lads were alleged to have done is serious enough,  brokencrossbar is probably correct - a bit of an over reaction by the indo on this id say

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Bogball XV

this story is headlined in one of the tabloids - why the reticence to name the county??