Buddy System?

Started by Mentalman, May 29, 2008, 08:28:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mentalman

GPA scheme to promote hurling

Wednesday, 28 May 2008 19:39
Halifax and The Gaelic Players Association have launched a new hurling initiative aimed at promoting the game in the non-traditional counties.

The Hurling Twinning Programme, will see counties from the Nicky Rackard Cup paired with their counterparts at McCarthy Cup level.

Aimed at fostering ambition and encouraging participation in hurling, the Twinning Programme will see counties like Donegal teaming up with Kilkenny and Fermanagh visiting Cork, for a 24 month period.

Advice, experience, tactics, training and coaching guidance will be provided by players and coaches from the McCarthy Cup squads during a number of scheduled sessions.

While the Rackard panel will benefit directly from this link, it is also hoped that local coaches, schools and development squads in the region could also be included during the visits.

Leveraging the talent and profile of the top hurling sides is seen as a very effective way to promote the game in the non-traditional hurling counties. The local media will be kept informed about all visits and developments.

Speaking about the new scheme, GPA chief Dessie Farrell said: 'The creation of the tiered championship structure has given weaker counties a chance to develop their panels.

'Hurlers are fiercely loyal to their sport and one another, so we saw the Twinning Programme as a natural way of harnessing that loyalty to help promote the game in the non-traditional regions. To be honest, the top hurlers have been travelling to the weaker counties on a voluntary basis for years.

'The Twinning Programme is formalising that voluntary effort on a wider scale and hopefully, with the help of the players and the local media, it will help to increase the profile of hurling regionally.'

The scheme is part of the GPA's on-going commitment to develop the game and is being organised on the ground by GPA.

It is hoped that, where possible, the Rackard panels would travel to a high-profile championship as invited guests of their 'twinned' counterparts.

The draw to pair the 24 counties took place recently with the following teams being twinned;

Monaghan & Tipperary
Cavan & Waterford
Louth & Clare
Tyrone & Limerick
Donegal & Kilkenny
Non Ards (Down) & Galway
Fermanagh & Cork
Fingal & Laois
Sligo & Offaly
Leitrim & Antrim
Longford & Wexford
Warwickshire & Dublin

Any thoughts lads? Personally I think a far more formal system is needed at the coaching level, as was discussed on the Off The Ball a couple of nights back, and it needs a 10-15 year well resourced plan. However at least the GPA have made a start which may encourage others. Hope they follow through with it and it's not just a PR exercise. Also another thought, it kind of ignores those counties in the middle ground, like my own, where great stirdes are already being made. Let's watch and wait.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

johnneycool

How will county boards or some county managers feel about this?

I find it hard to understand how it will work outside the jurisdiction of Croke park but I do agree with the concept.

Maybe it's the GPA's way of gaining more popular support amongst their fellow county players further down the food chain!!

Gnevin

I think it's a good idea so you don't have say Cork,Tipp and Kilkenny players all going to Cavan  . While Monaghan up the road never gets a visit . Plus on a club leave the same principal applies.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Tatler Jack

QuoteHope they follow through with it and it's not just a PR exercise

The idea it might be a  PR exercise never crossed my mind :P  GPA don't do PR ;)

Hurler on the Bitch

I am not often critical of Antrim hurlers .. BUT ..  I have a horrible feeling that the 2010 Ulster hurling final could read; Antrim 2-12 .. Leitrim 3-13 :-[

The Real Laoislad

I feel sorry for Fingal getting teamed up with Laois...Its Laois that should be going to a county to learn how to Hurl  :-\
You'll Never Walk Alone.