The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: seafoid on March 12, 2018, 08:05:33 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2018/mar/12/ireland-new-heights-new-zealand-game-enticing-prospect

First comment is talking about us dealing with being favourites, despite the fact we've been the pick of the bunch overall in Europe for most of the last five years and have continually beaten all but NZ from the south. Jesus wept. They've dealt with being favoured admirably.

English writers hyping up an Authumn test with NZ to try and puff us up when only the third Grand Slam in our history is on the table. I know which of the two matches everyone in Ireland would prefer to win.

johnnycool

Cian Healy had a shoulder injury it seems, it looked a lot worse on Saturday all the same.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: johnnycool on March 13, 2018, 12:11:55 PM
Cian Healy had a shoulder injury it seems, it looked a lot worse on Saturday all the same.

Is he out??

Big loss. Serious ball carrier and against England you need 4 props!

screenexile

He looked to be sparked out to me!! I'd say he'll play this weekend if it's just a "stinger".

johnnycool

Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 13, 2018, 12:18:37 PM

Is he out??

No he's in.

Considering a lot of people thought it was a HIA you'd hope the IRFU are doing the right thing.

Tony Baloney

IRFU have said he received a stinger to the shoulder/trapezius area and is fit for selection. Has put in serious shifts when playing this 6 Nations so they'll do everything to keep him.

Gmac

Is he out??

healy has had some turnaround he looked finished during last years tour of USA and Japan but has been impressive in the six nations , looks to have lost a few kgs which given him a bit more mobility

grounded

Quote from: Gmac on March 13, 2018, 01:43:00 PM

Is he out??

healy has had some turnaround he looked finished during last years tour of USA and Japan but has been impressive in the six nations , looks to have lost a few kgs which given him a bit more mobility

Great post. After such a meteoric rise early in his career he sort of stalled for a while there. Loosing that bulk has definitely helped with his mobility and he is playing great stuff for Leinster and Ireland(back to the form early in his career). Although he is only 30, the stresses placed on the bodies of these players will generally lead to shorter career spans. I suppose that's in the back of his mind.
     Saying that, at the minute there is a great mix of experience and youth in this Irish setup. Really exciting times. 

johnnycool

Quote from: grounded on March 13, 2018, 08:05:00 PM
Quote from: Gmac on March 13, 2018, 01:43:00 PM

Is he out??

Great post. After such a meteoric rise early in his career he sort of stalled for a while there. Loosing that bulk has definitely helped with his mobility and he is playing great stuff for Leinster and Ireland(back to the form early in his career). Although he is only 30, the stresses placed on the bodies of these players will generally lead to shorter career spans. I suppose that's in the back of his mind.
     Saying that, at the minute there is a great mix of experience and youth in this Irish setup. Really exciting times.

Whilst it's a gruelling position they normally get 50 to 55 minutes max whereas poor Mike Ross had to last the 80 or the Irish scrum was reversing at a serious rate of noughts.

Walter Cronc

What's everyone's thoughts about Saturday? My heart days Ireland, head says England won't lose 3 in a row!

seafoid

I thought it was going to be a clash of 2 unbeaten sides for the prize of the Grand Slam. Then England went and lost to Scotland. Eddie J said he knew what was wrong . Then they lost to France 

I read somewhere that England had 15 injuries going in to the tournament. . I think something is not right with England. So am tentatively hopeful for the right result. But I remember 2003
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Walter Cronc

Quote from: seafoid on March 14, 2018, 08:38:23 AM
I thought it was going to be a clash of 2 unbeaten sides for the prize of the Grand Slam. Then England went and lost to Scotland. Eddie J said he knew what was wrong . Then they lost to France 

I read somewhere that England had 15 injuries going in to the tournament. . I think something is not right with England. So am tentatively hopeful for the right result. But I remember 2003

They may have injuries but those are squad players bar Youngs

HiMucker

England look lost.  They look like a team that doesn't believe in what they are doing.  They will bring fierce intensity in the opening 20mins.  If Ireland can take the lead during this period I think they will win comfortably.

seafoid

Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 14, 2018, 09:56:47 AM
Quote from: seafoid on March 14, 2018, 08:38:23 AM

They may have injuries but those are squad players bar Youngs
The squad is important given the injury rate. Henshaw and van der Flier didn't make it to the end of the tournament . Ringrose is third choice in his position but he lined out the other day.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU