Ulster Semifinal- Derry v Tyrone 21/6/09 Casement Park

Started by Oakleafer93, May 31, 2009, 03:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oakleafer93

Well there you have it, Derry and Tyrone in the Semi-final.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Clones or Casement?

Casement hopefully - would suit me better for the minors. Did Derry minors beat Monaghan? If not suppose there'll be no minor match beforehand as the southern counties don't play in June.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Doohicky

Really hope it will be Casement. Purely for greed reasons as it's much handier for me to get to :P

Oakleafer93

I hope it's Casement, I imagine it would be don't think we'd fill Clones.

Its Armagh Minors v Monaghan Minors.

AFS

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on May 31, 2009, 06:22:27 PM
Clones or Casement?

Casement hopefully - would suit me better for the minors. Did Derry minors beat Monaghan? If not suppose there'll be no minor match beforehand as the southern counties don't play in June.

Nah Monaghan won by 5 points if I remember right. Hope they do play it before this game, cuz if not I guarantee they'll take us all the way to f**king Omagh for it.

Maguire01

Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on May 31, 2009, 06:31:58 PM
They have been pumping a lot of money into Casement so I think the powers to be will be pushing for Casement to get more Ulster championship games.
What money? When? It was still a dump last time I was there.

screenexile

Quote from: hardstation on May 31, 2009, 06:53:20 PM
Although the pitch is 100 times better than thon patch of shite in Clones.

Agreed! Looking forward to this one. Hopefully McEneaney will ref it again so we can stop it descending into farce like the Monaghan game. If so I think we'll be in for a great game of football. Tyrone massive favourites though as apparently we don't have any ability :)

Oakleafer93

Quote from: screenexile on May 31, 2009, 07:14:55 PM

Agreed! Looking forward to this one. Hopefully McEneaney will ref it again so we can stop it descending into farce like the Monaghan game. If so I think we'll be in for a great game of football. Tyrone massive favourites though as apparently we don't have any ability :)

Don't forget we depend too much on the Bradleys as well!

Estimator

Quote from: screenexile on May 31, 2009, 07:14:55 PM

Agree with you there Exile.  Tyrone will have taken a lot more from that game than we did with Monaghan, plus O'Neill and Dooher will have benefitted from game time today!
Ulster League Champions 2009

whiskeysteve

Nows the time for Cassidy to put his stamp on the Derry team! Massive test, with respect to Monaghan, the first round was about grinding through a tough but limited (compared to Tyrone!) team.

Tyrone are strong favourites, it seems whatever way you try to attack them they can shift to something else. And this total ability is even harder to defend against. As ever you would hope to get at them at midfield and at the full back line. I thought Clarke had the measure of Gormley today (how that man got motm i dont know) and i think paddy and eoin can do a job here BUT thats on the big assumption that theres good ball going in on a consistent basis.

The tyrone defenders raiding off slow/poor forwards are a big concern. One of the things that struck me from todays game was justy mcmahon raiding up the field and martin o'rourke plodding uselessly after him. Murphy and Kielt are two important attacking players for us, particularly Kielt who can step up with some match winning scores from way out. But against Tyrone you would worry that their men would do some damage on the counter. Murphys lack of pace is a real worry. Tyrone are the best team in Ireland in exploiting lack of pace or an engine in specific opposition players. In the league encounter Tyrone had our left footed forwards totally sussed out as well - need Lynch back for balance here and also the powerful running ability. All in all need to throw caution to the wind for this one, mcgoldricks and Gerard O'Kane need to get forward and have a go, its a big ask. Its just really hard to see Tyrone being stopped.

Then again Tyrone-Derry always has its own dynamic who knows what could happen on the day?

The harshest critics of last week used todays game as a banner for all that is good and pure about the game (and it was a good clean game btw). Whereas reading the papers today, more than once seen the word 'cowardly' used to describe the performance in Celtic park and not even in the context of specific incidents. It was a poor game with plenty of dirt alright but now it seems plenty of people are questioning Derrys character...
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

ExiledGael

Doc and Mullan hit with two month bans after last week by CCCC.
Should be a long appeals/will he/won't he play affair.

Oakleafer93

Quote from: ExiledGael on May 31, 2009, 08:15:52 PM
Doc and Mullan hit with two month bans after last week by CCCC.
Should be a long appeals/will he/won't he play affair.

Mullan definitely, don't know about Doc other than the ankle tap on Dick nothing else warrants a suspension and it might be a bit harsh to suspend him for that as Woods did the same so it'll be a case of Doc got booked so should Woods etc.

On the plus side for Derry in the even that Doc is suspended I hear Patsy Bradley should be back.

bigpaul

Oakleafer,as well as that ankle tap, Fergal was also caught on camera giving Dick Clerkin a more forceful kick to the back of the leg.

Oakleafer93

Quote from: bigpaul on May 31, 2009, 08:29:33 PM
Oakleafer,as well as that ankle tap, Fergal was also caught on camera giving Dick Clerkin a more forceful kick to the back of the leg.

Fair enough bout would you not a agree if Fergal is pulled up on it so should Woods?

tyronefan

nice picture of Doc trying to take out Clerkins 2 eyes in todays News of the World