Derry V Donegal

Started by Oakleafer93, March 31, 2009, 02:27:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oakleafer93

So can Derry beat Donegal by 5+ points to make the league final (provided Kerry beat Galway at home)??

Have we learned from Tyrone?
What changes will Cassidy implement?
Do we really want to be in the league final this year after crashing and burning in last years championship?

Tyrones own

There's a good few young lads on that roster, the big game experience could do them the world of good.
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Oakleafer93

Thats true, James Kielt had a poor showing on Sat night with a previously high standard especially against Kerry. Browner is usually handy enough, free miss was one of them things. Defence is relatively good, couple of players fighting for their places Mc Cusker/Mc Cloy for FB, and then theres O Kane, SL Mc Goldrick, Kevin Mc Guckin etc. B Mc Goldrick has proven to be handy in CHB, and double up as a scoring half back which is always useful. The half forward line remains somewhat of a dilemma, I think James Kielt is better suited to the centre and Murphy on the wing (However I think Murphy might actually be better used as an impact sub, as he usually feels he has to prove himself in these instances i.ie Dublin 07) With Lynch back in the fold come championship time the team is anybodys guess. As long as DC doesn't do a Paddy Crozier and puts out a team like that which faced Monaghan in the back door last year, in all the years I have been supporting Derry I think I have yet to see a worse team lineout.

Derry are by no means the finished article and very much still a work-in progress, but I think we can give Ulster a good rattle this year, and anything else is a bonus.

Oakleafer93

Oh sorry forgot to mention, Bumble from Ballinascreen, he should be getting a run out, seen him yesterday against Lavey in Ulster league SF in Screen yesterday, scoring from all angles terrorising the defence, given we were very very poor but you can only play what is in front of you, definitely should get a run out before the end of the league.

SidelineKick

Oakleafer Murphy started against Dublin in '07 and was playing superbly only to be replaced by Skinner at half time.  I think Murphy is looking more and more impressive with each game he plays and would certainly have him at CHF.

I do agree however that Bumble should get another chance now against Donegal, he'd be disappointed if he didn't.  We don't need to win this by 5 or 6, if Kerry could manage a 2-3 point win over Galway we would only need the same.  There's a slim chance we could make the final but I doubt if there are too many bothered to be honest.  Cant see it doing us much good.  Like the Galway and Tyrone games, I'd be more interested in a good performance.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Bogball XV

I think Derry can easily manage a 3/4 point win, it depends on Kerry and who they want to play in the league final - after last year they may prefer Galway ;).  Incidentally it was lucky that Mayo beat Galway or what a dead rubber the Kerry v Galway match would have been.

tonesfirstandlast

Quote from: SidelineKick on March 31, 2009, 09:33:01 AM
Oakleafer Murphy started against Dublin in '07 and was playing superbly only to be replaced by Skinner at half time.  I think Murphy is looking more and more impressive with each game he plays and would certainly have him at CHF.

I do agree however that Bumble should get another chance now against Donegal, he'd be disappointed if he didn't.  We don't need to win this by 5 or 6, if Kerry could manage a 2-3 point win over Galway we would only need the same.  There's a slim chance we could make the final but I doubt if there are too many bothered to be honest.  Cant see it doing us much good.  Like the Galway and Tyrone games, I'd be more interested in a good performance.

What county do you think we are from sideline? to be talking about turning up our noses at a national league title is laughable from a county like ours! And just to remind us, we got beat by kerry, we got beat by Tyrone, we drew with galway.... where are the improvements from this time last year? As i told you before Sideline........ stick to reality!

SidelineKick

Performance wise I think we're playing alot better as I'm sure everyone has noticed, then again TFAL you couldn't even see a difference between the 1st and 2nd halves on Sat  ::)

I'm not turning my nose up at it, but you seen last year after winning the league it did nothing for us.  I would certainly take another final but I think not reaching it would keep the lads feet on the ground.

The experimentation this year has been great and we've won, drawn and narrowly lost matches with so-called weakened teams.  Think before you post TFAL.  We should have beaten Tyrone, and a draw against Galway was a great result.  Just because you don't win every game doesn't mean you haven't had an encouraging performance. Simple outlook for simple people eh?

Reported.

JohnDenver

Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on March 31, 2009, 11:23:45 AM
Quote from: SidelineKick on March 31, 2009, 09:33:01 AM

What county do you think we are from sideline? to be talking about turning up our noses at a national league title is laughable from a county like ours! And just to remind us, we got beat by kerry, we got beat by Tyrone, we drew with galway.... where are the improvements from this time last year? As i told you before Sideline........ stick to reality!

Last year we were putting out almost our strongest team possible in most games, playing with very little or no game plan and relying on the sheer talent of individuals to get results.  It wasn't too hard for Fermanagh and Monaghan to nullify this free flowing football come the championship. 

Take at look at this years league games and look how many different men have got run outs.  These men have been given specific roles to carry out in a system that cassidy is trying to implement.  Id be sure that the some of these boys wouldn't cut it if they were fired into last years team and left to their own devices, but within a system with set roles they are prospering.

Look at how many successful National league campaigns we had in the late 90's and see how we faired in the championship after it.  Come september, a national league title means very little.

Maximus Marillius

Lads TFAL is by nature a pessimist, and as well, by his own admission isn't a scholar of football matches, as yet he is unable to describe what exactly is the way the Derry team are trying to play. I have openly admitted on here that I'm no expert on the game, but I can at least see what way Derry are trying to play.....What say ye TFAL?

tonesfirstandlast

Quote from: SidelineKick on March 31, 2009, 11:29:13 AM
Performance wise I think we're playing alot better as I'm sure everyone has noticed, then again TFAL you couldn't even see a difference between the 1st and 2nd halves on Sat  ::)I'm not turning my nose up at it, but you seen last year after winning the league it did nothing for us.  I would certainly take another final but I think not reaching it would keep the lads feet on the ground.

The experimentation this year has been great and we've won, drawn and narrowly lost matches with so-called weakened teams.  Think before you post TFAL.  We should have beaten Tyrone, and a draw against Galway was a great result.  Just because you don't win every game doesn't mean you haven't had an encouraging performance. Simple outlook for simple people eh?

You are getting worse Sideline! The difference in the First half and The second half!!! We were getting beating by 3 at half time and got beat by 3 at the end of 2nd half IE WE GOT BEAT> now for anyone wqho says that we should have beat tyrone wasn't at the game I was at! AND, they hadn't the two mcmahons and mcmenamin in defence...... mcginlay in midfield........ mcguigan, dooher and o'neil in their forward line. Like i said Sideline.... its all about reality ie THE SCOREBOARD!

tonesfirstandlast

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on March 31, 2009, 11:43:45 AM
Lads TFAL is by nature a pessimist, and as well, by his own admission isn't a scholar of football matches, as yet he is unable to describe what exactly is the way the Derry team are trying to play. I have openly admitted on here that I'm no expert on the game, but I can at least see what way Derry are trying to play.....What say ye TFAL?

You are partly right Max.... I'm not a scholar at anything never mind football but I'm not a pessimist , i'm a realist, i judge things on results. Now as a derry supporter, i would like to know what the system is that everyone has identified except me... please slowly explain it  to me!

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on March 31, 2009, 11:51:48 AM

You are partly right Max.... I'm not a scholar at anything never mind football but I'm not a pessimist , i'm a realist, i judge things on results. Now as a derry supporter, i would like to know what the system is that everyone has identified except me... please slowly explain it  to me!

TFAL we all know Derry got beat, thats not being a realist, thats stating the obvious. Tell us why derry didn't get bottled up in the second half in comparsion to the first.

SidelineKick

:D TFAL really is getting worse!! I am more content this year watching Derry than i was last year.  As stated, we have been trying different men out and are still coming away with good results.  We were also missing players on Sat if you can remember the team TFAL.  I don't think anyone will spell the system out to you because its much more fun watching you give your analysis based solely on half time and full time scores.  Yes, games and championships are won by the result of a match but you don't have to win every match of the year.  Had Brown put over that free Tyrone would not have won, how can you argue with that?

Your simple analysis is very amusing to the average gael, if Derry win then its a positive performance if they're beat its a bad performance, no in betweens, don't worry about work rate, turn overs, individual performances, passing, speed of moving the ball, tackling, no these aren't worth talking about.  Derry beat = bad.  You do make me laugh.

Reported.

tonesfirstandlast

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on March 31, 2009, 11:57:11 AM
Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on March 31, 2009, 11:51:48 AM

TFAL we all know Derry got beat, thats not being a realist, thats stating the obvious. Tell us why derry didn't get bottled up in the second half in comparsion to the first.
[/b]

I don't know, i'm your ordinary reun of the mill supporter Max...... tell me the system so that i'll be able to look out for it on sunday against Donegal.