Re: Best all-time Defender in Tyrone

Started by Wee Roddy, July 07, 2011, 04:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who has been the best defender of all-time in Tyrone?

Ryan McMenamin
6 (18.2%)
Kevin McCabe
1 (3%)
Philip Jordan
14 (42.4%)
John Lynch
0 (0%)
other
8 (24.2%)
Fay Devlin
4 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Wee Roddy

I would say in Mickeys hour of need he turned to Gormley to mark the big guns more than Ricey. Of the modern players surely Jordan and Gormley should be included

muppet

Where's the thread for Best all-time Tyrone unused substitute?
MWWSI 2017

wheres he takin er from

First on the field and last to leave

Tyrones own

Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

ExcellentDriver

I'd have to say Ricey. Them Dromore backs probably never lost an areal tussle in their lifetime.

Fay Ogg would be up there too, as would Cormac (RIP) and Conor Gormley.

Paul Donnelly was awesome going forward, but suspect at marking. The Gael Clicy of Gaelic Football.

Chris Lawn had a good game on Ronan Clarke in 2005, but in 1995 was torn to shreds by Charlie Redmond and Jayo. Paul Dook was arguably the best Defender on the Field when Tyrone beat Derry in 1995.
Stand up for the Ulstermen!

Watch the Break

Sean Donnelly of Trillick is worthy of a mention.  Tough tackling corner back who left his 'mark' (literally) on many a forward.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

orangeman

nrico2006

Quote from: ExcellentDriver on July 07, 2011, 05:56:09 PM
I'd have to say Ricey. Them Dromore backs probably never lost an areal tussle in their lifetime.

Fay Ogg would be up there too, as would Cormac (RIP) and Conor Gormley.

Paul Donnelly was awesome going forward, but suspect at marking. The Gael Clicy of Gaelic Football.

Chris Lawn had a good game on Ronan Clarke in 2005, but in 1995 was torn to shreds by Charlie Redmond and Jayo. Paul Dook was arguably the best Defender on the Field when Tyrone beat Derry in 1995.

When I think of Chris Lawn the 2003 Ulster Final just pops straight into my mind.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Tyrone Gaa

Phillip Jordan = 4 All Star awards debate closed
Living the dream!!!

Nally Stand

Quote from: Tyrone Gaa on July 08, 2011, 04:24:54 PM
Phillip Jordan = 4 All Star awards debate closed

And you voted Cavanagh as Tyrone's greatest forward?! Would I be right in saying you're from the Moy. Sure sayin as we're being parochial, i'll give the nod to Conor Gormley, or as Harte once called him, "The Peter Canavan of defenders", and the man routinely given the task of marking the big dangermen.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Oraisteach

McMenamin always impressed me with his attacking from the back, but Conor Gormley's block of Stevie McDonnell's shot will always define Tyrone defence for me.

Radda bout yeee

Quote from: Oraisteach on July 08, 2011, 08:25:27 PM
McMenamin always impressed me with his attacking from the back, but Conor Gormley's block of Stevie McDonnell's shot will always define Tyrone defence for me.

I have to agree about Gormley - as mush as it pains me to say it as a Kildress man the block in '03 was the single best piece of defending i ever saw!

LeoMc

Fay Devlin or Conor Gormley? Too close to call.