Donegal v Dublin AISF 31st Aug 2014

Started by StephenC, August 11, 2014, 09:39:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

Looks like it'll be a sellout. No tickets on ticket master and only terrace on gaa.ie.

armaghniac

Quote from: Zulu on August 27, 2014, 06:23:30 PM
Looks like it'll be a sellout.

This game in Limerick is a GAA sellout.

QuoteNo tickets on ticket master and only terrace on gaa.ie

And it will be full as well.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: armaghniac on August 27, 2014, 07:21:53 PM
Quote from: Zulu on August 27, 2014, 06:23:30 PM
Looks like it'll be a sellout.

This game in Limerick is a GAA sellout.

QuoteNo tickets on ticket master and only terrace on gaa.ie

And it will be full as well.

you should head down to SBG on the nass road and let geezer knock some sense into your muldoon head

J70

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 27, 2014, 04:36:56 PM
We need something to put a bit of jizz into this thread. Anybody have any ideas? Dont Matter and his tables of money even? :P

Even the interviews from the Donegal camp itself appear full of resignation: "ah, they're a brilliant team, and rightly overwhelming favourites,  including among our own friends and family, but sure we'll do our best!" It IS turning into a bit of a damp squib, in terms of pre match excitement. Maybe it's all McGuinness mind games!  :P

Aaron Boone

Dubs by a mile at half-time, even more at full-time.

Sit back and enjoy one of the greatest teams to ever played Gaelic Football.

Wildweasel74

not be that big a upset if Donegal beat them, i don think they will, but none of u donegal ones any backbone to come out and say your team will win / could win. there nothing worse listening to no-hopers talking there team down then if by chance they win, its oh i knew they win but didn't want to day so, then proceed to tell why he think they win with this tactic and that but hadn't the forsight to mention it the week before.

Whitnail

The Dubs can only maintain this impossibly high level or go downwards slightly ..cause I'm not sure its actually possible to get any better than they've been.. Is it ? The question is would Dublin even with a slight dip still be too good on the day?

After the Armagh game and a few other turd-like first half performances this summer we can only realistically get better and 3 weeks is plenty to prepare for a one off game where every squad player can at least target the required  improvement rate needed. Its a match where you put in the hardest grafting 70 mins of your inter county carrer to the extent that if you were to win ; it would  probably mean having to conceed  the final to pure exhaustion alone!

I think the lads can and prob will put in that level of graft in a one-off game and if McFadden can put one over from play then he can put 2,3 4  over in a row and confidence can return very quickly ( look at the impact the return to form of Kieran Donaghy made in the semi against Mayo when he came on) .

I put €15 on us @ 7/1 cause I do think those odds are just too big. I know only too well our weaknesses and limitations and I think in 2014 realisticly if we played Dublin 10 weeks in a row we'd probably lose eight and. maybe draw one but this is a one-off game and anything goes.

Ohtoohtobe

Quote from: INDIANA on August 19, 2014, 10:30:16 PM
Quote from: Syferus on August 19, 2014, 10:26:12 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 19, 2014, 10:18:54 PM
Quote from: Syferus on August 19, 2014, 10:15:49 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 19, 2014, 10:12:06 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 19, 2014, 10:07:07 PM
As i said it would be silly for the Dublin players to be holding down full time demanding Jobs. The world is their oyster and they are enjoying the perks of being as close to a professional athlete as an amateur can be without the financial worries of an amateur. It is a great time to be a Dublin footballer and the way things are going things can only get better.

You know then in 2012 19 members of the Donegal squad were professional athletes because they had no job.

Explain.

How does not having a job make you a pro athlete, Indy? I was a pro athlete in college and I never knew it.

I know a lot about Donegal. How they train, what they do, how often they do it and have a very good idea of how much money they spend. They are a professional squad in everything but name- exactly like the other top 4 counties.

And in 2012 they were professional. I would argue even more then Dublin.

Professional is a word that gets thrown out a lot  but to me it's something you either are or you aren't. Dublin isn't a pro team despite heir professional approach to training and conditioning but does 'jobs for the boys' (or not) really make any county professional? I don't know.

It all sounds like the sort of loopholes that would only exists in an amateurish organisation, ironically.

They are professional except they don't get paid. It really is that high now. Its higher then it was 5 years ago.

Where its going to end God knows.

I hear all sorts of rumours - mostly about Donegal and Dublin - and I'd love for someone to actually research and tell me what every player on each panel does for a living. You might think that's unfair but so is hearsay. In the 90s I remember programmes listing every player's profession. Now I have little idea what, for example, each Dublin player does for a crust, apart from Stephen Cluxton being a teacher, a few players being students and Bernard Brogan being a sports and morketing showpony.
Any Dubs fans able to have a stab at a list?

J70

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 27, 2014, 11:04:11 PM
not be that big a upset if Donegal beat them, i don think they will, but none of u donegal ones any backbone to come out and say your team will win / could win. there nothing worse listening to no-hopers talking there team down then if by chance they win, its oh i knew they win but didn't want to day so, then proceed to tell why he think they win with this tactic and that but hadn't the forsight to mention it the week before.

Backbone me arse. Anyone seriously backing Donegal would be talking shite. You have to go with the evidence and based on what we have seen there is no way a solid case can be made in Donegal's favour.

One of the beauties of sport is that shocks and surprises do happen, but the fact that such games unfold in a manner that is, prior to the event, unlikely,  is why they are considered shocks.

WT4E

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 27, 2014, 11:04:11 PM

Reading that hurt my brain! - Where you drinking during the gunners match or something?

heffo

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on August 28, 2014, 12:53:18 AM
As i said it would be silly for the Dublin players to be holding down full time demanding Jobs. The world is their oyster and they are enjoying the perks of being as close to a professional athlete as an amateur can be without the financial worries of an amateur. It is a great time to be a Dublin footballer and the way things are going things can only get better.

You know then in 2012 19 members of the Donegal squad were professional athletes because they had no job.

Explain.

How does not having a job make you a pro athlete, Indy? I was a pro athlete in college and I never knew it.

I know a lot about Donegal. How they train, what they do, how often they do it and have a very good idea of how much money they spend. They are a professional squad in everything but name- exactly like the other top 4 counties.

Professional is a word that gets thrown out a lot  but to me it's something you either are or you aren't. Dublin isn't a pro team despite heir professional approach to training and conditioning but does 'jobs for the boys' (or not) really make any county professional? I don't know.

It all sounds like the sort of loopholes that would only exists in an amateurish organisation, ironically.

They are professional except they don't get paid. It really is that high now. Its higher then it was 5 years ago.

I hear all sorts of rumours - mostly about Donegal and Dublin - and I'd love for someone to actually research and tell me what every player on each panel does for a living.

No need to research - all here for you:

http://www.dublingaa.ie/teams/senior-football

Thisonegoesto11

Explain.

I hear all sorts of rumours - mostly about Donegal and Dublin - and I'd love for someone to actually research and tell me what every player on each panel does for a living. You might think that's unfair but so is hearsay. In the 90s I remember programmes listing every player's profession. Now I have little idea what, for example, each Dublin player does for a crust, apart from Stephen Cluxton being a teacher, a few players being students and Bernard Brogan being a sports and morketing showpony.
Any Dubs fans able to have a stab at a list?

Doubt there are actually any rumours. All open information. As said Dublin GAA have full player profile.
Bryan Cullen is well known as a fitness coach (didn't he get a role with Leinster rugby?) Phil Mc in similar profession. Fair few teachers (Ger B, Kev Nolan, Flynner and of course Clucko). Load of the lads still studying.

Canalman

Quote from: heffo on August 28, 2014, 10:05:47 AM

Explain.

I hear all sorts of rumours - mostly about Donegal and Dublin - and I'd love for someone to actually research and tell me what every player on each panel does for a living.

Wouldn't bother really Heffo. Best telling them what they want to hear that no Dublin player has a job and that they are professionals driving free cars etc etc. Yerra shur how can any county compete with that??

Facts really can be awkward sometimes.

WT4E

Quote from: Thisonegoesto11 on August 28, 2014, 10:25:53 AM
Doubt there are actually any rumours. All open information. As said Dublin GAA have full player profile.
Bryan Cullen is well known as a fitness coach (didn't he get a role with Leinster rugby?) Phil Mc in similar profession. Fair few teachers (Ger B, Kev Nolan, Flynner and of course Clucko). Load of the lads still studying.

LOL - I see that and a good few of them over the average student age!  ;)

PS - The day of the tradesman inter county player is definitely over. I wonder how many of the top 5/6 teams have a brickie etc on board?

Ohtoohtobe

Quote from: Canalman on August 28, 2014, 11:08:41 AM
Quote from: heffo on August 28, 2014, 10:05:47 AM

Explain.

Wouldn't bother really Heffo. Best telling them what they want to hear that no Dublin player has a job and that they are professionals driving free cars etc etc. Yerra shur how can any county compete with that??

Facts really can be awkward sometimes.

Christ Canalman will you relax. Not once did I say any of those things. I said I hear rumours about all the top counties, I didn't say I believed them. In fact that's why I asked.

The worst thing about this whole resources debate is how paranoid it makes some Dublin fans. Where's that legendary sense of humour?

Anyway thanks for the link Heffo. Yeah I knew what Cullen and McMahon did but there's a lot of other players where I wasn't sure.