Quote from: heffo on August 28, 2014, 10:05:47 AM
Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on August 28, 2014, 12:53:18 AM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 19, 2014, 10:30:16 PM
Quote from: Syferus on August 19, 2014, 10:26:12 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 19, 2014, 10:18:54 PM
Quote from: Syferus on August 19, 2014, 10:15:49 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 19, 2014, 10:12:06 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 19, 2014, 10:07:07 PM
As i said it would be silly for the Dublin players to be holding down full time demanding Jobs. The world is their oyster and they are enjoying the perks of being as close to a professional athlete as an amateur can be without the financial worries of an amateur. It is a great time to be a Dublin footballer and the way things are going things can only get better.

You know then in 2012 19 members of the Donegal squad were professional athletes because they had no job.

Explain.

How does not having a job make you a pro athlete, Indy? I was a pro athlete in college and I never knew it.

I know a lot about Donegal. How they train, what they do, how often they do it and have a very good idea of how much money they spend. They are a professional squad in everything but name- exactly like the other top 4 counties.

And in 2012 they were professional. I would argue even more then Dublin.

Professional is a word that gets thrown out a lot  but to me it's something you either are or you aren't. Dublin isn't a pro team despite heir professional approach to training and conditioning but does 'jobs for the boys' (or not) really make any county professional? I don't know.

It all sounds like the sort of loopholes that would only exists in an amateurish organisation, ironically.

They are professional except they don't get paid. It really is that high now. Its higher then it was 5 years ago.

Where its going to end God knows.

I hear all sorts of rumours - mostly about Donegal and Dublin - and I'd love for someone to actually research and tell me what every player on each panel does for a living.

No need to research - all here for you:

http://www.dublingaa.ie/teams/senior-football

Wouldn't bother really Heffo. Best telling them what they want to hear that no Dublin player has a job and that they are professionals driving free cars etc etc. Yerra shur how can any county compete with that??

Facts really can be awkward sometimes.

:o
If you were any use you'd be playing.

The Trap

Watched the 2011 final on All Ireland Gold last night. Joe McQuillan was like a 16th man for the Dubs, surely if Donegal are to get close he will have to swing the other way!!!!!!!!

Thisonegoesto11

Quote from: The Trap on August 28, 2014, 01:23:25 PM
Watched the 2011 final on All Ireland Gold last night. Joe McQuillan was like a 16th man for the Dubs, surely if Donegal are to get close he will have to swing the other way!!!!!!!!
`

You need to watch it again then as you must have missed most of the game.

Thisonegoesto11

Quote from: WT4E on August 28, 2014, 11:25:33 AM
Quote from: Thisonegoesto11 on August 28, 2014, 10:25:53 AM
Doubt there are actually any rumours. All open information. As said Dublin GAA have full player profile.
Bryan Cullen is well known as a fitness coach (didn't he get a role with Leinster rugby?) Phil Mc in similar profession. Fair few teachers (Ger B, Kev Nolan, Flynner and of course Clucko). Load of the lads still studying.

LOL - I see that and a good few of them over the average student age!  ;)

PS - The day of the tradesman inter county player is definitely over. I wonder how many of the top 5/6 teams have a brickie etc on board?

Average age of a student ain't what it used to be. Know loads of lads who, years ago, would have fathered 10 kids by now but they are still officially students. Or on some sort of work study programme.

screenexile

Quote from: Jinxy on August 28, 2014, 12:20:17 PM
Quote from: Canalman on August 28, 2014, 11:08:41 AM
As i said it would be silly for the Dublin players to be holding down full time demanding Jobs. The world is their oyster and they are enjoying the perks of being as close to a professional athlete as an amateur can be without the financial worries of an amateur. It is a great time to be a Dublin footballer and the way things are going things can only get better.

You know then in 2012 19 members of the Donegal squad were professional athletes because they had no job.

Explain.

How does not having a job make you a pro athlete, Indy? I was a pro athlete in college and I never knew it.

I know a lot about Donegal. How they train, what they do, how often they do it and have a very good idea of how much money they spend. They are a professional squad in everything but name- exactly like the other top 4 counties.

Professional is a word that gets thrown out a lot  but to me it's something you either are or you aren't. Dublin isn't a pro team despite heir professional approach to training and conditioning but does 'jobs for the boys' (or not) really make any county professional? I don't know.

It all sounds like the sort of loopholes that would only exists in an amateurish organisation, ironically.

They are professional except they don't get paid. It really is that high now. Its higher then it was 5 years ago.

I hear all sorts of rumours - mostly about Donegal and Dublin - and I'd love for someone to actually research and tell me what every player on each panel does for a living.

Wouldn't bother really Heffo. Best telling them what they want to hear that no Dublin player has a job and that they are professionals driving free cars etc etc. Yerra shur how can any county compete with that??

:o

BURN!!!

Hardy

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 27, 2014, 11:04:11 PM
not be that big a upset if Donegal beat them, i don think they will, but none of u donegal ones any backbone to come out and say your team will win / could win. there nothing worse listening to no-hopers talking there team down then if by chance they win, its oh i knew they win but didn't want to day so, then proceed to tell why he think they win with this tactic and that but hadn't the forsight to mention it the week before.

Yes, it's like having fundamental moral objections to playing a semi-final anywhere but Croke Park, that you only discovered when your county was affected by a decision to that effect.

Or discovering you were raped when the cheque bounced.

WT4E

Quote from: Thisonegoesto11 on August 28, 2014, 02:07:17 PM
Quote from: WT4E on August 28, 2014, 11:25:33 AM
Quote from: Thisonegoesto11 on August 28, 2014, 10:25:53 AM
Doubt there are actually any rumours. All open information. As said Dublin GAA have full player profile.
Bryan Cullen is well known as a fitness coach (didn't he get a role with Leinster rugby?) Phil Mc in similar profession. Fair few teachers (Ger B, Kev Nolan, Flynner and of course Clucko). Load of the lads still studying.

LOL - I see that and a good few of them over the average student age!  ;)

PS - The day of the tradesman inter county player is definitely over. I wonder how many of the top 5/6 teams have a brickie etc on board?

Average age of a student ain't what it used to be. Know loads of lads who, years ago, would have fathered 10 kids by now but they are still officially students. Or on some sort of work study programme.

Hmmmmmm! I'm not sure!

Syferus

Didn't ye see the report last week? Farmers' children are three times more likely to go to college than the average school-leaver. Dublin are at a horrific disadvantage on this one.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on August 28, 2014, 12:15:26 PM

Explain.

Christ Canalman will you relax. Not once did I say any of those things. I said I hear rumours about all the top counties, I didn't say I believed them. In fact that's why I asked.

The worst thing about this whole resources debate is how paranoid it makes some Dublin fans. Where's that legendary sense of humour?

Anyway thanks for the link Heffo. Yeah I knew what Cullen and McMahon did but there's a lot of other players where I wasn't sure.

Barman 1
Teacher 4
*AIG Insurance 1
Physio 1
S&C 2
Student 17
Health & Safety 1
Tax Consultant 1
Business Advisor 1
Bank 1
Business Owner 1
Stock Broker 1
*Aer Lingus 1
Sales Rep 1
Entrepreneur 1
Account Manager 1
QS 1

* County Sponsor

No one unemployed and only 2 employed by sponsors, thought it would have been more somehow.

Damn good-looking team too...
#newbridgeornowhere

Crete Boom

Quote from: Hardy on August 28, 2014, 02:44:08 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 27, 2014, 11:04:11 PM
not be that big a upset if Donegal beat them, i don think they will, but none of u donegal ones any backbone to come out and say your team will win / could win. there nothing worse listening to no-hopers talking there team down then if by chance they win, its oh i knew they win but didn't want to day so, then proceed to tell why he think they win with this tactic and that but hadn't the forsight to mention it the week before.

Yes, it's like having fundamental moral objections to playing a semi-final anywhere but Croke Park, that you only discovered when your county was affected by a decision to that effect.

Or discovering you were raped when the cheque bounced.

You should insist on cash only when you are working the street corners at night Hardy then you will have no problem with dodgy cheques.

Michael Schmeichal

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 28, 2014, 04:32:34 PM
Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on August 28, 2014, 12:15:26 PM

Explain.

Christ Canalman will you relax. Not once did I say any of those things. I said I hear rumours about all the top counties, I didn't say I believed them. In fact that's why I asked.

The worst thing about this whole resources debate is how paranoid it makes some Dublin fans. Where's that legendary sense of humour?

Anyway thanks for the link Heffo. Yeah I knew what Cullen and McMahon did but there's a lot of other players where I wasn't sure.

Barman 1
Teacher 4
*AIG Insurance 1
Physio 1
S&C 2
Student 17
Health & Safety 1
Tax Consultant 1
Business Advisor 1
Bank 1
Business Owner 1
Stock Broker 1
*Aer Lingus 1
Sales Rep 1
Entrepreneur 1
Account Manager 1
QS 1

* County Sponsor

No one unemployed and only 2 employed by sponsors, thought it would have been more somehow.

Damn good-looking team too...

Out of the team that started against Monaghan I make it 10 lads in full time employment and 5 students. So much for the jibes about professional sportsmen  and lads being given imaginary jobs by the Dublin County Board. BTW Dublin COunty Board employ 2 Laois inter county footballers and no Dublin ones. Its ok Don't Matter. We're cool like that. Don't mention it.

Jinxy

Jinxy

I'm assuming they know he's taking the car by the way.

Sidney

Hound

Quote from: Jinxy on August 28, 2014, 10:15:34 PM
This just in....

:) ;)
I think that's part of the prize for winning player of the year.
Saw him in it recently and it has some type of GAA/GPA wording emblazoned on each side of it (not too big in fairness, but still very noticeable)