Laois footballers the Championship 2018 What went on and the review!

Started by Unlaoised, April 10, 2018, 10:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyroanAbu

Quote from: Unlaoised on July 04, 2018, 04:39:40 PM
Quote from: BallyroanAbu on July 04, 2018, 02:37:50 PM
I know we are an optimistic bunch on here but you would think we had put it up to Dublin the way we are going on, All Star nominees ? They beat us by 18 points almost kicking at will, in the second half.  To be honest I thought the gap was narrower between us and Dublin it was far from that.  We are not a bad little team but I would be surprised if we beat Monaghan.  We may get one All-Star nominee and that is Gareth Dillion, Is Brody in the top 3 keepers in the country ? I would think Beggin & Cluxton are miles clear with a plethora of keepers behind, saying that Brody does offer something very different.  It's his kickout I am not sure of and I think this is by far the most important part of the game.  Saying that this season has been he best thus far and his young so could easily improve further.

Brody's kickouts were always fairly decent as far as I can remember even when he broke on the scene??

Beggin is having a poor year and Stephen has regressed for sure...Brody is easily up there !

Dublin will score at will against 26 counties out of 34 and we are one of them ..

Sunday is a more level playing field its only 4 years ago they struggled to beat us in Clones(was only a goal in it with five minutes to go) when we went up there in the league to a team who were on a massive high in Division 2 with this victory seeling their place in division 1 which is where they have been since they were also ulster champions a crown they were very unlucky to loose that year.

I know we have regressed badly in 3 years but this year we are on the way back and should be going into the game in a positive frame of mind.

Monaghan 0-19 Laois 0-14
Clones March 2014

The team and scorers that day was
Laois: G Brody, P McMahon, D Booth, P O'Leary, D Strong 0-4, P Begley, C Begley, K Meaney, J O'Loughlin 0-1, R Munnelly 0-3 (2f), C Meredith 0-1, B Sheehan, E O'Carroll, D Kingston 0-1 (f), D Conway 0-1. Subs: G Walsh G Walsh 0-1 (f) for E O'Carroll, J Finn 0-1 for K Meaney, P Kingston for D Conway, D O'Connor 0-1 for B Sheehan, MJ Tierney for R Munnelly.

Jesus one game is killer, Tyrone game Beggin was heralded as best keeper in the country.  Brody's long kicks in Div 4 final were poor, to be honest it was far better against Carlow in the semi-final.  But it was not all that great in the final against Dublin, in fairness his very quick on the short ones but most of the better teams are now pressing them.

Nameless

Donie hasn't been great. No matter how talented you are, you have to do the training. At this level, missing the winter work will show. Free taking has to be practiced over and over and over. When Donie done a couple of years full time training a few years ago he was unstoppable. O'Carroll and Kingston did get plenty of chances against Dublin, Walsh scored a few when he came on but only two of them can start in my opinion.

Don Draper

portlaoisekid

Jesus Christ Donie and Brody getting a going over on here, we are some set up of a county.

Brody nailed on for an all star nomination and Donie our only true top class forward. I give up.

Don Draper

Quote from: portlaoisekid on July 05, 2018, 08:52:43 AM
Jesus Christ Donie and Brody getting a going over on here, we are some set up of a county.

Brody nailed on for an all star nomination and Donie our only true top class forward. I give up.
The good times are back alright.

Tony

I think we have to start Donie, but let's not be drama queens. He's not "getting a going over on here". 2posters pointed out that he hasn't been at his best this year. That's not getting a going over. Brody's not getting a going over either. We're full of praise for Brody with the exception of one poster who thinks he mightnt get an all star nomination. Again, that's not getting a going over.

For me, Donie should start with Walsh but I wouldn't mind seeing Evan in half forward line. He's a great man to run at a defence and monaghan hate when a team runs at them up front, directly towards goal, like Evan does when further out the field. Starting all 3 would be what I'd do but I'm not the man in charge  ;D

seafoid

Quote from: Tony on July 04, 2018, 02:24:37 PM
I just had a shnaakey look at the Monaghan Hogan Stand forum. The consensus over there is that most of them see a victory for them, but they expect a tough challenge from us. A lot of them are pointing towards 2012 when they were clear favourites to beat us, but we beat them well. They believe that they've been inconsistent this year - fine performance to beat Tyrone but woeful against Fermanagh. They respect our style and were impressed with us for spells against the Dubs. Anyway, that all doesn't matter right now. Part of me thinks that we're not ready for Super 8's quite yet, but then another part of me thinks that it's an opportunity we mightn't see again for another 5+ years, so we have to go out 350% for the win and lay it all on the line. Besides, IF we do beat Monaghan (a division 1 side capable of being competitive with the best) then we do deserve our place in the super 8's. Again, IF we do manage to progress, I can see all-star nominees dotted around our panel - Brody, Begley, Dillon, JOL for example. Looks like they're travelling in numbers so I hope a good Laois crowd travel also. There's a high chance it'll be a close game, so the crowd could easily turn into a 16th man come the last 20 mins.

Last year 10 counties had nominations. If Laois got to the Super 8 they might get 2. If they played well but lost to Monaghan they could get 1, depending on other counties.

Dubs 13
Mayo  12 .
Tyrone 6
Kerry 5,
Roscommon 2
Kildare 2
Down 2 
Monaghan 1
Donegal 1
Armagh 1
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

BallyroanAbu

Quote from: seafoid on July 05, 2018, 09:50:25 AM
Quote from: Tony on July 04, 2018, 02:24:37 PM
I just had a shnaakey look at the Monaghan Hogan Stand forum. The consensus over there is that most of them see a victory for them, but they expect a tough challenge from us. A lot of them are pointing towards 2012 when they were clear favourites to beat us, but we beat them well. They believe that they've been inconsistent this year - fine performance to beat Tyrone but woeful against Fermanagh. They respect our style and were impressed with us for spells against the Dubs. Anyway, that all doesn't matter right now. Part of me thinks that we're not ready for Super 8's quite yet, but then another part of me thinks that it's an opportunity we mightn't see again for another 5+ years, so we have to go out 350% for the win and lay it all on the line. Besides, IF we do beat Monaghan (a division 1 side capable of being competitive with the best) then we do deserve our place in the super 8's. Again, IF we do manage to progress, I can see all-star nominees dotted around our panel - Brody, Begley, Dillon, JOL for example. Looks like they're travelling in numbers so I hope a good Laois crowd travel also. There's a high chance it'll be a close game, so the crowd could easily turn into a 16th man come the last 20 mins.

Last year 10 counties had nominations. If Laois got to the Super 8 they might get 2. If they played well but lost to Monaghan they could get 1, depending on other counties.

Dubs 13
Mayo  12 .
Tyrone 6
Kerry 5,
Roscommon 2
Kildare 2
Down 2 
Monaghan 1
Donegal 1
Armagh 1

Utterly delusional at times but heart is in the right place.  Brody may get an All Star Nomination on the back of a new tactic but on actually very little substance.  Dillion is far more deserving but may go unhearlded he does the simple things really well and is improving all the time. 

Donie has to start there is no argument,  by a mile our best starting forward the rest really come and go with form.

Giovanni

Quote from: Tony on July 05, 2018, 09:27:55 AM
I think we have to start Donie, but let's not be drama queens. He's not "getting a going over on here". 2posters pointed out that he hasn't been at his best this year. That's not getting a going over. Brody's not getting a going over either. We're full of praise for Brody with the exception of one poster who thinks he mightnt get an all star nomination. Again, that's not getting a going over.

I agree with this. The fact of the matter is that Donie would be expected to work harder, train harder and play harder if he was playing with the top teams. He is well capable of it and on his day is as good as any of them. But noone should be guaranteed anything simply by virtue of being "talented". I think he has been handled very well by John Sugrue this year and hopefully we'll see a big game from him on Sunday.

BallyroanAbu

Quote from: Giovanni on July 05, 2018, 11:08:17 AM

I agree with this. The fact of the matter is that Donie would be expected to work harder, train harder and play harder if he was playing with the top teams. He is well capable of it and on his day is as good as any of them. But noone should be guaranteed anything simply by virtue of being "talented". I think he has been handled very well by John Sugrue this year and hopefully we'll see a big game from him on Sunday.

Agree with your Sugrue point but it is helped by the fact that their is a buzz in Laois football at the moment long may it continue.

P.S PortlaoiseKid there is a fair difference in a going over and debating whether or not he gets an All Star nomination just saying.

portlaoisekid

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on July 05, 2018, 11:11:00 AM
Quote from: Giovanni on July 05, 2018, 11:08:17 AM

Agree with your Sugrue point but it is helped by the fact that their is a buzz in Laois football at the moment long may it continue.

P.S PortlaoiseKid there is a fair difference in a going over and debating whether or not he gets an All Star nomination just saying.
Nothing got to do with an all-star nomination or not , that means very little in the overall scheme of things. But I do believe his kick outs have been top class and overall I wouldn't swap him for any keeper in Ireland.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

While I admire Donie as a footballer I don't think he has improved as much as he is capable of. I've been watching him play since he was 16 and was always impressed by him but over the years compared to other forwards in the country he hasn't reached his peak as regards scoring. In Div 4 a man of his calibre should have been up there amoung the top scorers but he's not.

Here is a list of the top scorers in the 2017 League:

Division 4
Gary Walsh, Laois 2-24 (30)
Paul Broderick, Carlow 1-16 (19)
Liam Gavaghan, London 2-12 (18)
Paddy McBride, Antrim 0-14 (14)
Keith Beirne, Leitrim 0-14 (14)
Jason Curry, Waterford 0-14 (14)
Seanie Furlong, Wicklow 0-13 (13)
Ryan Murray, Antrim 1-9 (12)
Jamie Lee, Limerick 0-12 (12)
John Murphy, Carlow 3-0 (9)
Darragh Rooney, Leitrim 2-2 ( 8 )
JJ Hutchinson, Waterford 1-5 ( 8 )

While I know he is a fabulous footballer his scoring averages are not up to scratch from the amount of possession he gets and the frees he takes. We have the top scorer in the country on our panel and he's only getting on for five minutes at the end of some games. I don't think you would see that happening in many counties in Ireland.
As Tony has pointed out this is not Donie getting a going over from me, I'm simply stating a few facts about what most people see as our best footballer. I know he has massive talent but sadly he hasn't delivered this year so far but can you imaging the lift it would give the team if he came on early in the second half and set out to prove something to himself and people like me...

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

BallyroanAbu

Dont think he started many games in Div 4 though, he was late back to the set up so I think scoring charts could be misleading in that respect.  I thought he was decent against Dublin in a hard role, game had disintegrated by the time Gary came on.  Hard to compare the two in that game.

High Fielder

Monaghan are very set in their ways. Very orthodox. They love playing 15 on 15 and will overpower most teams who try to go toe to toe. The Wylie fella at full back is one of the best traditional style full backs in the game, and I don't think any of our lads would get much change out of him. I'd be looking to drag them around a bit. Come deep and play our way in rather than kick long and go with two target men. Crowd the midfield and compete hard for the breaking ball and be patient. Even against Dublin in the first half, I was happy to see our lads holding on to the ball and looking for options, rather than kicking aimlessly.

Don Draper

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on July 05, 2018, 11:53:22 AM
While I admire Donie as a footballer I don't think he has improved as much as he is capable of. I've been watching him play since he was 16 and was always impressed by him but over the years compared to other forwards in the country he hasn't reached his peak as regards scoring. In Div 4 a man of his calibre should have been up there amoung the top scorers but he's not.

Here is a list of the top scorers in the 2017 League:

Division 4
Gary Walsh, Laois 2-24 (30)
Paul Broderick, Carlow 1-16 (19)
Liam Gavaghan, London 2-12 (18)
Paddy McBride, Antrim 0-14 (14)
Keith Beirne, Leitrim 0-14 (14)
Jason Curry, Waterford 0-14 (14)
Seanie Furlong, Wicklow 0-13 (13)
Ryan Murray, Antrim 1-9 (12)
Jamie Lee, Limerick 0-12 (12)
John Murphy, Carlow 3-0 (9)
Darragh Rooney, Leitrim 2-2 ( 8 )
JJ Hutchinson, Waterford 1-5 ( 8 )

While I know he is a fabulous footballer his scoring averages are not up to scratch from the amount of possession he gets and the frees he takes. We have the top scorer in the country on our panel and he's only getting on for five minutes at the end of some games. I don't think you would see that happening in many counties in Ireland.
As Tony has pointed out this is not Donie getting a going over from me, I'm simply stating a few facts about what most people see as our best footballer. I know he has massive talent but sadly he hasn't delivered this year so far but can you imaging the lift it would give the team if he came on early in the second half and set out to prove something to himself and people like me...
Ah would you go away, you're drunk.