Laois footballers the Championship 2018 What went on and the review!

Started by Unlaoised, April 10, 2018, 10:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unlaoised

Will be a tough game physically but not one to fear.

If Laois play well they could trouble Monaghan.

Wiley v Donie will be a good battle ...Dillion will have to pick up McManaus.

I'm hearing its sunday at 2pm in Navan

We have a decent record against the Farney !

LAOIS ABÚ

redsetanta

The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

BallyroanAbu

Would be alot happier if Monaghan had played tougher games than Leitrim & Waterford.  Maybe it won't matter but I would of loved a crack at Kildare as the emotional high of last Saturday will cause them problems this week.

Joeythelips

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on July 02, 2018, 05:47:58 PM
Would be alot happier if Monaghan had played tougher games than Leitrim & Waterford.  Maybe it won't matter but I would of loved a crack at Kildare as the emotional high of last Saturday will cause them problems this week.

I fully agree, it would be typical Kildare to beat Mayo then lose to Fermanagh. That was a real high intensity game on a hot day which will have taken a lot out of them. It would be an ideal time to face them. Monaghan are in an ideal spot, Laois are a step up from Leitrim but should give them a decent test. I know their game against Dublin in the league was a bit of dead rubber but any team that beats this Dublin side in Croke Park is a serious team in my book.

Tony

Certainly not the worst draw. Monaghan would have to be considered very warm favourites, being a top division team. But I've seen bigger shocks. Honestly i think this will be a step too far this year. But i hope we give it everything and come back stronger next year. I know for a fact the lads won't fear any team; we played without fear vs the dubs. The head says monaghan by 4, heart says Laois by 2.

Unlaoised

Great for the GAA in Laois  to have them two big games in Portlaoise Saturday night it will only add to the buzz about Sunday in Navan!
LAOIS ABÚ

Junior Ex Laoistalk

John Sugrue not too happy about Super 8's.                   
https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/laois-boss-slams-consumerist-super-8s-852701.html   
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

High Fielder

I agree in principle with Sugrue about the bigger counties getting stronger. Success breeds success and when you throw in the many advantages that are there already for bigger counties, I honestly don't know how the like of ourselves can compete. There is no great plan to make smaller counties competitive because it's just too big a gap to narrow. I even wonder sometimes if county boundaries are an adequate way of sectioning teams in the current climate. Maybe the Dublins and Kerrys of this world belong in a Professional environment with franchises made up of six other teams and just let everyone else carry on as normal in a truly amateur competition. Let's face it, the likelihood of us ever winning another Leinster in our lifetimes is very small even if that sounds overly dramatic

redsetanta

I see the handicap is +6. Thought it would have been more than that to be honest.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Last year Carlow kept them quiet for a long time with their defensive system before Monaghan finally figured out how to crack it. i hate the way Carlow play but maybe we should learn a bit from that game and go defensive at times during the game ourselves. We can't just go in there all guns blazing and hope to beat them.

There is a big prize at the end of this so we will have to make them work hard to win this and possibly win it ourselves. I firmly believe we have the players to win it but we will have to set up to suit our lads and give them every chance. Hopefully the Kingstons will have a better game than the last time out and with a bit of luck you'd never know...

Unlaoised

As usual in this county...One big defeat and you get lads saying Monaghan will hammer us etc etc...

Yes they are rightly favourites and deserve respect but they are no Dublin and we have players that can hurt them.

There is a great pride and spirit in the Laois camp this year and that will take you far in games.

We have one of the best goalies in the country a solid centre back two decent midfielders and one of the top target men in the business ...

Time to be positive and give this a rattle.

If it doesn't happen its been a great adventure this year !

I hope the lads get the support they deserve

2pm on a Sunday isn't the worst time to be fair still early enough to be back with the kids etc...Mine will be decked out in the Laois gear its been like that all summer and its great to see so many Laois tops around the county on boys and girls!
LAOIS ABÚ

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Well said Unlaoised, this team have brought us on a great journey this year and at last we can hold our heads up again as Laois football supporters.
I will certainly be in Navan on Sunday to cheer on the lads again and I do believe we can win this one. We have to start believing in ourselves again and I think John Sugrue is instilling that  belief in them this year.
We have only lost one game in the last 11 and that itself brings a certain amount of confidence to a squad. Kildare were at an all time low after the Carlow defeat and look what happened there. A bit of confidence and fire in the bellies now has them looking at a place in the Super 8's and there's no reason we can't be there too..

portlaoisekid

Sunday is a great opportunity for Laois to test ourselves against a really good team. I definitely think we can be very competitive and win, the Dublin match will have brought this team on further than all the matches combined this year.

I would be worried about our defence but I really fell we can win and Navan is a great place to play football.

Don Draper

Monaghan have never beaten us in the championship lads. Dont f**king forget that. Never.