Laois footballers the Championship 2018 What went on and the review!

Started by Unlaoised, April 10, 2018, 10:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maccer

Seemingly Poachers behaviour on Sun was disgraceful. Openly running around the pitch sledging the kildare lads. What's the point in the GAA supposedly cracking down on players sledging each other if they allow this carry on. I know Carlow are currently flavour of the month (and they deserve huge credit) but surely authorities won't want to see this on a big day in Croker.
Although a part of me would like to see him try and sledge 'Psycho'. St John's ambulance boys would be busy

BallyroanAbu

In fairness Carlow GAA had nothing to do with Danny,  sledging welcome to big boys football only one way to get round it and that's on the scoreboard.  Whining about it means you lost, winners could not care less.

High Fielder

Just get someone to stand within 10 yards of him and run on with the bottle every time he makes his move. Any funny stuff make a big scene and get them both sent off. Big distraction. Problem solved. Let's play ball

Unlaoised

Quote from: High Fielder on May 29, 2018, 08:17:37 AM
Just get someone to stand within 10 yards of him and run on with the bottle every time he makes his move. Any funny stuff make a big scene and get them both sent off. Big distraction. Problem solved. Let's play ball

Love that Idea ...I'm willing to do it if I'm asked :-) !!! ;D
LAOIS ABÚ

Unlaoised

Anyway here's my ratings for last saturday's game!

Only an opinion and I know all these lads give great commitment to the blue and white and I respect every one of them game time or not!

Brody-7.5 One or two uncharacteristic kickouts in the first half when the team as a whole weren't functioning well but he changed the tone of the game with two runs forward that created two scores at a vital time for Laois.His kickouts in the second half were better but helped by the Westmeath number 9 being gone!

Attride -8 Slow enough to start like so many but was still tight on his man who was dangerous.Had a great second half with two superb blocks when it was in the melting pot he is a great player who you'd love in your team.

Timmons -6.5 Not often Mark gets over shadowed by his two corner backs but he must be glad of the unit with him now.He did okay for the most part growing into the game but was troubled in spells .Still solid for the most part and our best back for the last 6-7 years.

Dillion -8.5 Started a bit on the nervous side but after he won his first ball on the terrace side that was him in the game he gave a terrific display of tackling and chasing his man .Countless times he won the ball back for Laois and the crowd responded in kind he has been a revelation under the new manager!

Collins -7 was quiet in the first half and was caught out of position a few times as well as giving away the ball once or twice but once he settled down he had a n excellent game scoring a superb point just before half time to give Laois great momentum.

Begley -9 I thought he was superb all through the game I can't understand why he hasn't been our number six for years its really his best position!Great score before half time his passes for Paul Kingston's two goals were a joy to watch .Needs to improve a little on tackling if i'm going be very critical :-)

Crowley-7 Certainly was better on 'Martin' than in the O'Byrne cup when he was destroyed Caught two great balls and grew into the game certainly will be pushing for a starting birth again the next day

Lillis -9.5  My man of the match(If Paul hadn't to have scored 3) I thought he was superb in all aspects of the game his passing was good he covered so many yards and what he lacks in pace he makes up for in intelligence just so composed he really has found his position at county level

O Loughlin -8 would have got 9 but from the fact the number 9 ran away from him a few times in the first half he graduallly wore him down and a great shoulder or two before half time gave the Laois crowd a great lift and also took the steam away from that number 9.

Farrell -5.5 Scored a point but wasn't involved much in the game did pick up a few vital breaks in midfield which helped John and Kieran needs to impose himself move as he has all the attributes to play the position he does  replaced early

Paul Kingston -10 Not often you can give a ten but wow what a performance from him even when we were struggling early in the game he was the one forward winning ball.One bad hand pass aside I don't remember him giving away the ball once and his two points were as good as his goals.A truly great showing by a player who I always felt was going to burst onto the scene one day.He did against Longford a few years back but didn't kick on!His time has come!

O'Connor -6 harsh score he did put a lot of effort into the game and tracked runners which is the dirty side that some players don't get credit for I'm not sure half forward is his best position I think he was more useful back defending.Honest lad and great to see him back

Munnelly -6 Ross was on a lot of ball but tended to slow things down to much and got dispossessed numerous times .Hard to be critical of a man that gives so much.solid on the frees especially a difficult one in the first half which was vital.Probably left on a little too long but you just know he will shine the next day!

D Kingston-7 strange game he won some great ball early but nothing came of it.Duncan seem to be dealing with him better tan most, then Westmeath double teamed him.He came out the field in the second half won some great kickouts and his passing is a joy to watch he really is a complete footballer

Carroll -6.5 was intelligent on the ball but getting on to it is his problem he is young and will learn but he seemed to drift into positions where he didn't want a pass and he lost a few 50/50s .No doubt he has talent and his work rate was good in the first half when Laois were under pressure.#moretocome

SUBS

Donoher-8 was superb when he came in kicking two great points at the most crucial time in the game showed real leadership on the ball and delighted for him.Not slowing down either which at his age is great to see.

E O'Carroll -7.5 Was very strong when he came on and got 1-1 from play in 14 minutes ...Looked really dangerous and his direct soloing would cause any team problems maybe the bench suits the likes of him and Donoher all tho I'm sure he would love to start.

Strong -7 Composed on the ball did miss a scoring opportunity but looks in good shape and hungry to get involved.

Conway -7 Won a great ball to set up Laois's last goal was very unselfish with the pass which for a sub trying to make an impact shows how committed he is to the LAOIS  cause

Nerney Booth and Walsh were all on Late but all played their part especially Walsh getting back on the score board!

Overall it was a pleasing day for Laois football when so many things went right I wouldn't get carried away and Carlow will be stubborn opposition in Croker thats for sure but the change this year is incredible you'd wonder what things would have been like if Sugure had taken the job 4/5 years ago???

One thing that was really noticeable was the size of the Laois support it was incredible to see and must have given the players a huge boost!

LAOIS LAOIS LAOIS!!!!

LAOIS ABÚ

Joeythelips

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on May 29, 2018, 07:37:32 AM
In fairness Carlow GAA had nothing to do with Danny,  sledging welcome to big boys football only one way to get round it and that's on the scoreboard. Whining about it means you lost, winners could not care less.

Thats exactly right, teams like Galway and Tyrone are always at this carry on. The sole purpose of it is to distract players so they don't perform at their best. As with any sort of bull like this the best response is always to beat them on the score board.

Also take a look at Brendan Murphys twitter post after the league final https://twitter.com/BrendanMurphy17?lang=en about Pigott. I would not be surprised one bit if he made a return from the states, I reckon Carlow will use stuff like this as motivation and try and make it a super physical game and intimidate our lads. If we don't get sucked into that bullshit and concentrate on football we have the better players.

Laoisguy

Quote from: Joeythelips on May 29, 2018, 11:09:07 AM
Quote from: BallyroanAbu on May 29, 2018, 07:37:32 AM
In fairness Carlow GAA had nothing to do with Danny,  sledging welcome to big boys football only one way to get round it and that's on the scoreboard. Whining about it means you lost, winners could not care less.

Thats exactly right, teams like Galway and Tyrone are always at this carry on. The sole purpose of it is to distract players so they don't perform at their best. As with any sort of bull like this the best response is always to beat them on the score board.

Also take a look at Brendan Murphys twitter post after the league final https://twitter.com/BrendanMurphy17?lang=en about Pigott. I would not be surprised one bit if he made a return from the states, I reckon Carlow will use stuff like this as motivation and try and make it a super physical game and intimidate our lads. If we don't get sucked into that bullshit and concentrate on football we have the better players.

Fair enough but its still shit
Carlow will be looking for that angle right from start and im still very wary of Carlow going 3-4 points in front

Laois fan

Don Draper

Quote from: Laois fan on May 29, 2018, 02:30:58 PM
I presume murphy is signed to a team in the states
He is.

I'd love to hear what Turlough O Brien has to say about the Kildare game, does anyone know if he plans on speaking in the media at any point?

Tony

He already has, he had a big interview with Wolly Parkinson on his podcast. The podcast is good otherwise as well, as it discusses Laois' good form this year:   https://soundcloud.com/sportsjoe-gaa-hour/laois-rising-longford-rising-carlow-rising-inc-turlough-obrien-interview

Don Draper

Quote from: Tony on May 30, 2018, 11:28:26 AM
He already has, he had a big interview with Wolly Parkinson on his podcast. The podcast is good otherwise as well, as it discusses Laois' good form this year:   https://soundcloud.com/sportsjoe-gaa-hour/laois-rising-longford-rising-carlow-rising-inc-turlough-obrien-interview
Reread it for sarcasm. He's been on every media outlet for the past 3 days. Its perfect, soak it in boys.

Tony

They deserve the spotlight and plaudits, it's been a long time coming. I wouldn't begrudge them some time in the sun to be honest. Until the 10th of June that is.

Joeythelips

I agree Tony, I read Philip Jordan's article on the RTE site and he summed it up well https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2018/0529/966850-enjoyment-overriding-the-fear-in-carlows-rise/.

Carlow may not play the best brand of football or may have some unsavoury tactics but they have worked really hard to make a name for themselves these past couple of years after an eternity of failure. Seeing them invade the pitch after beating a fancied Kildare team was great to watch. Like many on this forum i remember the joy of watching our minors win All Irelands and winning the Leinster under Micko, so its great to see counties get that winning feeling.

Most people outside the counties (and some in them) will simply say well what does it matter as neither will have a chance against the Dubs, but the chance to play the Dubs in Croker on Leinster final day, and even if the do lose the chance to play another big game two weeks later with the carrot of the Supers 8s awaiting the winner (including brining one of the games to Portlaoise) is what these players have sacrificed so much for. Fair enough if they meet the Dubs it will have an air of inevitability (as it would for all bar a couple of counties) about it but the Carlow game will certainly not, and depending on who they get neither would a Round 4 qualifier game. They will be huge occasions for our players and I'd imagine our supporters will be out in force.