Laois footballers the Championship 2018 What went on and the review!

Started by Unlaoised, April 10, 2018, 10:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

High Fielder

We're in bonus territory right now. A Leinster final would be great but we can't let that define our season because we've already made progress. For me, the real bonus has been watching the improvement in lads and how that relates to the team. It is clear already that Sugrue is capable of getting the best out of certain lads, and I have no doubt that if lads are prepared to put in the work, both they and Laois will be rewarded. For too long in Laois, positions have been given to lads because it looked like the right thing to do. But give me work and commitment over style and individuality any day. There are good footballers in Laois and plenty of them on the Under 20 team tonight. The sooner they are under the eye of Sugrue the better in my opinion. Any young lad who wants to represent Laois and play a better standard of football should be itiching to get into this set up.

OTF

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on May 28, 2018, 01:16:13 AM
Beat Carlow, lose to Dublin and one win in the qualifiers will get us into the Super 8s. Would only have dreamed about this at the start of the year. Well done all concerned.
Any word on Paul Cahillane...

Just looking at the fixtures there.
Leinster final on 24th June and the AQF's  on 14/15 July some 3 weeks later.
Looks like the beaten finalist will be out again the following week would that be correct, if so imo reaching the LF against Dublin wouldn't be much of a bargain.

redsetanta

Carlow have definately improved. Big score against Louth and again yesterday. They are breaking records this year and considering they lost Brendan Murphy you can't but be impressed. In saying that we're motoring along nicely too. Their key man is Broderick and he couldn't score in the league final so he needs to be kept quiet again. They must be very high on confidence.

Sets it up for what will be a right duel in Croke Park
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

redsetanta

There was a rule brought in where beaten provincial finalists get two weeks. No quarter finaln anyhow as you're a the 'Super 8' stage then. 4 provincial winners plus 4 qualifiers.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

on the hop

Nipped into the Kildare forum, it seems that Carlow really put it up to them physically on and off the ball and there was a lot of sledging. The real bile is for poacher who appears to have really annoyed them with his antics. I would expect we will get more of the same from them.

OTF

Quote from: redsetanta on May 28, 2018, 10:47:56 AM
There was a rule brought in where beaten provincial finalists get two weeks. No quarter finaln anyhow as you're a the 'Super 8' stage then. 4 provincial winners plus 4 qualifiers.

Do the top 4 go into the semi's   ??
I'm looking at the premium ticket schedule ( provisional ) and the AQF's are listed for the 14th and 15th of July. 

redsetanta

As far as I know it's 2 groups of 4 with top two in each group going to semi finals.

OTF

Quote from: redsetanta on May 28, 2018, 12:48:16 PM
As far as I know it's 2 groups of 4 with top two in each group going to semi finals.

That's correct, each team gets a home game an away game and a game in CP  so they'll probable use the the 14 and 15 of july for big CP games.

redsetanta

They're going fairly ballistic on the Kildare forum alright. They didn't see that coming in fairness even with the poor run of results.

Joeythelips

An awful lot of talk about how poor Kildare were and how far they have fallen, but its a great sign of the set up and system a team have in place that they can lose the likes of Murphy and still be in the position they are. Hats off to Carlow, they have a system in place and everyone has bought into it. I watched them last year against Dublin and they gave Dublin plenty of it. I know the Dubs won comfortably but there was just 4 points in it until Murphy got sent off which was them death nail for them. 

In fairness to Sugrue he has a similar set up in that where players really seem to be buying into, even listening to his comments when the reporter was trying to talk about Kingstons hat trick he said he did not care who scored. Also he is decisive and not afraid to make early substitutions.  Also its very good sign that Laois are finishing games strongly, if we can get the start right we will take beating.

I know some posters are saying 'sure we have no chance against dubs if we win' or 'we will be out a week later if we lose the Leinster final so beating Carlow is pointless', not exact quotes but this type of mentality. One poster has it right when he/she said they could not have dreamt of a situation where we could be one step away from the Super 8s. This is what the championship is about, Laois and Carlow players will be going hell for leather in a championship game in Croker, what more could you ask for. The winners will most likely play Dublin in the final, another big day out in Croker for either Laois or Carlow where they will be expected to be beaten easily. This is what the players slogged their guts out since the end of last year for. Both counties have already gained promotion in the league and 2 scalps in Leinster so 2018 has been huge progress for both. After the semi final its bonus territory for the winner.

Laoisguy

For the record

I really hope we can turnover Carlow again just to experience another Sugrue v poacher handshake

Some p***k on the line in fairness and players have bought into this behaviour to achieve results

Nasty system

Joeythelips

Seen the fixture dates on Laois today site:

June 10 – Leinster SFC Semi-final
June 23 – Round 2 Qualifier
June 24 – Leinster SFC Final
June 30 – Round 3 Qualifier
July 7/8 – Round 4 Qualifier
July 14/15 – Super 8 Round 1
July 21/22 – Super 8 Round 2
August 4/5 – Super 8 Round 3

According to the article the losers of the Leinster Final will be in round 4 of the qualifiers, so there will be 2 weeks to get ready.

O moore parklife

Great weekend for laois, john but for the player's the most demons exercised in tullamore.
From a source within the carlow squad a good amount of them have a pain in there faces with the poacher self proclaimed messiah horse shit.
Still think we have more to overcome them in croker.
Onwards and upwards great year irrespective all bonus territory now

Unlaoised

Carlow took defeat badly the last day ...i anticipate a fairly feisty encounter
LAOIS ABÚ