Laois footballers the Championship 2018 What went on and the review!

Started by Unlaoised, April 10, 2018, 10:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unlaoised

Time to start a new thread just a little over a month to our first game and we couldn't ask for much more as regards the league.

I suppose you'll have lads on here giving out about some performances and they have a right to their opinion like anyone else.

However we won every game we played and despite the second half in Dr cullen park I think we were getiing stronger as the league went on.

John has blooded some new players and it means committed players like Strong Donoher (just an example )aren't sure of their places anymore which can only be a good thing.

We have a good forward line and if we can get Donie Kingston Gary Walsh and Evan O'Carroll firing we surely will kick up a few big scores.

add to that Paul Kingston Ross and young Lowry and there is certainly potential there ...

Benny Carroll and Brian Glynn have put their hands up for places and Alan Farrell is there or there abouts!

In the backs we don't have as many options but Dillions performance in Croker has certaily giving the full back line a whole new look...

Timmons is vital to the full back line but we have decent cover in Nerney.

Attride might need to move to half back in my opinion to strenghten that line but Piggott and collins have done okay to be fair to them.

Begley seems most comfortable at number six and is playing well.

Problem is we don't have major cover for the backs We haven't seen enough of Holland or Finn from Portlaoise

I think Crowley is going with the under 20s.I know Strong is there as I said Nerney cetaily looks the part

O'Reilly will be a loss as he could fill in a number of positions and was ideal in that sense adding pace to the team .

Dennis Booth can be an option if he gets back to the pace of it before Championship which will be hard for him!

Lillis and O'Loughlin don't have much competition for the midfield births I'dLove Quigley or Meany to be in there just to add power and strenght to the bench but we know Meaney isn't there and Quigley might not make it.

In a perfect world we would be able to call on the services of Healy Quigley Cahillane Finn and Meridith to boost the panel and the strenght of the team but alas we may go with what we have for the minute and I believe it's good enough to beat Wexford and really have a good lash at a decent Westmeath team!
LAOIS ABÚ

Laoiseabu

We've won division 4 and are capable of beating Wexford which is all positive but Jesus Unlaoised I think your getting a bit excited with some of your player analysis there. We don't have as many decent options as Is being suggested I feel. Some of them players you mentioned have been poor enough I feel.

Unlaoised

Quote from: Laoiseabu on April 10, 2018, 01:34:31 PM
We've won division 4 and are capable of beating Wexford which is all positive but Jesus Unlaoised I think your getting a bit excited with some of your player analysis there. We don't have as many decent options as Is being suggested I feel. Some of them players you mentioned have been poor enough I feel.

some of them haven't been great but I still think there is something to work with

The spine of the team is strong

Brody timmons Begley Jol Kingston Walsh ...

Add Attride to that Paul Kingston And O'Carroll and its 10 very good county players in my opinion....

Lills has been okay in the middle and Alan Farrell and Dillion are improving under Sugure .

Lowry can only get better.....

I know I always see the positives in things but sure why not ...Too many people in Laois think the other way!
LAOIS ABÚ

Unlaoised

On another note we have some amount of lurkers that don't post 184 views in this topic  ;D ;D ;D

come on lads say what you really feel!!!
LAOIS ABÚ

vetoldthe

Here is one of the lurkers,
just looking back on the tape the carlow keeper only kicked long 3 times which they won
Brody kicked long 12 times and we only won 4
so total 15   Carlow win 11  and we win only 4
just thought i would put that out there,
so have we a problem in the middle,
anyway it was great to be in croke park so well done to the management and the team.

The Boy Wonder

Quote from: Don Draper on April 10, 2018, 11:36:38 AM
Meaney can stay where he is.

This is a disgusting comment on a guy who has been a great servant to Laois football (and would be very welcome back in my opinion).
There are indeed many "lurkers" on this forum who do not want to descend to debating with the likes of this poster.

Don Draper

Quote from: The Boy Wonder on April 10, 2018, 11:58:07 PM

This is a disgusting comment on a guy who has been a great servant to Laois football (and would be very welcome back in my opinion).
There are indeed many "lurkers" on this forum who do not want to descend to debating with the likes of this poster.
Wind in your neck a bit, Kevin's discipline in the league last year when he was needed was shocking, especially in Tullamore. I put it very nicely, you came in shouting and bawling. He retired, leave him where he is. 

Now, if you really want to get into it, we can, and I'll go a little deeper on it.

Unlaoised

Quote from: Don Draper on April 11, 2018, 07:04:49 AM
Quote from: The Boy Wonder on April 10, 2018, 11:58:07 PM

Wind in your neck a bit, Kevin's discipline in the league last year when he was needed was shocking, especially in Tullamore. I put it very nicely, you came in shouting and bawling. He retired, leave him where he is. 

Now, if you really want to get into it, we can, and I'll go a little deeper on it.

Let's not have this decend into another topic ....

Keep it on the subject in hand
LAOIS ABÚ

on the hop

The kickouts have been a continuing problem for a while, not just this year. Carlow in the two games went with a high press and the lack of movement forced us to kick long which suited them. Obvious that both midfielders struggled trying to field balls going backwards. Evan had been an underused option on the wing throughout the league  and Glynn was only tried an odd time, so brody usually went towards the middle in the hope of picking up breaking ball.  Every other team set back and allowed us to go short in the league or play the one-two with brody and use him to carry the ball out. Probably two issues, both midfielders and the half forwards are not moving a lot to take a kick out in space when pressed high to beat it and the slowness of the backs to give brody an option when going short. Stuff to be worked on.

Don Draper

Quote from: on the hop on April 11, 2018, 09:44:00 AM
The kickouts have been a continuing problem for a while, not just this year. Carlow in the two games went with a high press and the lack of movement forced us to kick long which suited them. Obvious that both midfielders struggled trying to field balls going backwards. Evan had been an underused option on the wing throughout the league  and Glynn was only tried an odd time, so brody usually went towards the middle in the hope of picking up breaking ball.  Every other team set back and allowed us to go short in the league or play the one-two with brody and use him to carry the ball out. Probably two issues, both midfielders and the half forwards are not moving a lot to take a kick out in space when pressed high to beat it and the slowness of the backs to give brody an option when going short. Stuff to be worked on.
Hard to believe we couldn't isolate runners on the wing on a pitch the size of Croke Park. Definitely needs working on. It'll crucify us against a decent side, albeit Carlow's midfield is above average.

Unlaoised

Quote from: Don Draper on April 11, 2018, 09:52:44 AM
Quote from: on the hop on April 11, 2018, 09:44:00 AM
Hard to believe we couldn't isolate runners on the wing on a pitch the size of Croke Park. Definitely needs working on. It'll crucify us against a decent side, albeit Carlow's midfield is above average.

hard to argue with that ...This is where Quigley is a big loos ...Not only did he catch his fair share ...The best and bigget midfielder always marked him allowing O'Loughlin to dominate the other player more!
LAOIS ABÚ

OTF

Against Carlow most of the ball we lost in this area was on the ground and a lot of the lads tired early in second half which suggests to me we're still a bit behind with our physical strength and fitness.

O moore parklife

Quote from: OTF on April 12, 2018, 04:55:23 AM
Against Carlow most of the ball we lost in this area was on the ground and a lot of the lads tired early in second half which suggests to me we're still a bit behind with our physical strength and fitness.

Strongly disagree they look fitter this year than anytime in the last 3. Playing against a blanket of s#%te defence will suck the life out of you. The turmover count was heavily on our side which needs serious explosive effort and counter attacking effort..can't stretch your legs in a quagmire

Unlaoised

Quote from: O moore parklife on April 12, 2018, 08:50:37 AM
Quote from: OTF on April 12, 2018, 04:55:23 AM

Strongly disagree they look fitter this year than anytime in the last 3. Playing against a blanket of s#%te defence will suck the life out of you. The turmover count was heavily on our side which needs serious explosive effort and counter attacking effort..can't stretch your legs in a quagmire

I'd have to agree with this...While stillnot as fit as some teams (likes of Clare in O'Moore park last year or Kildare against us in Tullamore)we are defo fitter the turnover balls in the games against Carlow London and I thought waterford proved that ...If our decision making was better on the counter we could have really capitalized on this instead we gave away some silly balls ...Examples Walsh against Carlow in the second half in dr Cullen park.O'Loughlin away to London being another that comes to mind!
LAOIS ABÚ