General Fitness / Weight Training / Going To The Gym

Started by LC, December 08, 2022, 11:28:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LC

Hi All,

Looking a bit of advice, my 14 year old is looking to get started re lifting weights, I have a bit of knowledge myself so going to start him with some barbells and a bench.  The only thing I am not sure about is that would he be too young to get into the whole tracking calories, bulking, maximising protein etc?  Many thanks.

Ethan Tremblay

Probably best to keep it simple at that age, if there is no direct goal in mind no point over complicating the whole thing.  If he plays a certain type of sport it might be best to chat to a reputable PT on what exercises would benefit him more.     

I suppose the important thing is to keep him away from the instagram/facebook shite that ever pt with a internet degree is shipping these days. 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

Mourne Red

Quote from: LC on December 08, 2022, 11:28:53 AM
Hi All,

Looking a bit of advice, my 14 year old is looking to get started re lifting weights, I have a bit of knowledge myself so going to start him with some barbells and a bench.  The only thing I am not sure about is that would he be too young to get into the whole tracking calories, bulking, maximising protein etc?  Many thanks.

He is still growing so would start off on body weight exercises then move on to compound lifts.. Deadlifts, Squats, Bench, Overhead press etc.. I'd be wary of the whole tracking calories, bulking, protein etc especially so young as from personal experience it's something you can get consumed by and cause eating disorders/body dysmorphia so wouldn't get involved in that until he's older

LC

Quote from: Mourne Red on December 08, 2022, 11:52:12 AM
Hi All,

He is still growing so would start off on body weight exercises then move on to compound lifts.. Deadlifts, Squats, Bench, Overhead press etc.. I'd be wary of the whole tracking calories, bulking, protein etc especially so young as from personal experience it's something you can get consumed by and cause eating disorders/body dysmorphia so wouldn't get involved in that until he's older

Many thanks for this and all other contributions, you have pretty much confirmed what I thought in terms of calorie counting, protein etc.  Heard a great interview on the Prymal Podcast with a guy Cormac Ryan who had played up to U21 level with Dublin and he gave a great insight into how things can get out of hand in terms of diet. 

Armagh18

Hi All,

Probably a bit young to be tracking calories imo, at that age as long as you're good and active the nutrition side of things is probably overkill, just would be trying to eat majority whole foods rather than processed, as much protein i.e chicken meat eggs etc as possible and loads of fruit and veg, obviously.

If he's into tiktok/instagram then get to to follow gaz gaelic guide, mcgurn fitness and shane rice on there, plenty of good content

square_ball

Davey Nutrition on instagram is worth a look as well. Had a very good post up a few months ago regarding nutrition for young teenagers. He used to head of nutrition at Leinster Rugby and Dublin footballers.

CK_Redhand

I think some education on nutrition is important. In my teens, the "food pyramid" promoted overconsumption of carbs and I didn't eat enough protein to build muscle. My parents didn't know any better either.

LC

Quote from: CK_Redhand on December 08, 2022, 02:10:36 PM
I think some education on nutrition is important. In my teens, the "food pyramid" promoted overconsumption of carbs and I didn't eat enough protein to build muscle. My parents didn't know any better either.

So true, education is key in terms of a balanced diet, the amount of young people that think by simply eating protein bars you will build muscle is unreal.  I was in a Spar a few weeks ago and could not believe not only the range of protein bars for sale but a vast range of supplements in terms of creatine, whey powder etc.

Armagh18

Quote from: LC on December 08, 2022, 03:42:08 PM
Quote from: CK_Redhand on December 08, 2022, 02:10:36 PM

So true, education is key in terms of a balanced diet, the amount of young people that think by simply eating protein bars you will build muscle is unreal.  I was in a Spar a few weeks ago and could not believe not only the range of protein bars for sale but a vast range of supplements in terms of creatine, whey powder etc.
Most of those protein bars are a scam. A lot of the time the protein yoghurts are far better value, higher protein and lower calories. Lidl/aldi great for them

Wildweasel74

14? Bulking, protein? Ridiculous. Let him grow to his natural build, see too many 16/18 running round on creatine, protein and worse attitudes, better of on easy weights, he strengthen with age, and look more at fitness at his age,

trueblue1234

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on December 08, 2022, 04:58:28 PM
14? Bulking, protein? Ridiculous. Let him grow to his natural build, see too many 16/18 running round on creatine, protein and worse attitudes, better of on easy weights, he strengthen with age, and look more at fitness at his age,

Having a grasp on protein isn't something to be scared off. It will help the kid maintain a healthy body. Supplements another matter but in general we lack knowledge in what a healthy diet includes and it shows. I wish someone had taken me aside at 15 to give me a bit of advice.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Wildweasel74

I take the protein powder myself, but am in my 40's, fully grown, there no need for a young teenager to be on it.

trueblue1234

Doesn't need to be powder, (tho there's nothing wrong with it). They should just have a rough idea of the level of protein required especially if they're doing a lot of training. The powder is a simple way of getting it, especially for a 15 yo who's unlikely to be planning out his own meals.

I'd make him pay for it himself tho!!
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

square_ball

Yeah absolutely nothing at all wrong with using protein powder the way people talk about it you'd think they were running a programme of steroids. A good balanced diet is the way to go first and with a good level of meat, eggs, yoghurts, milk in the diet then the protein aspect should be well covered. If not protein powder is handy to have. Plenty of information available online regarding training and nutrition.

I have also noticed over the last few years a lot of clubs introducing strength training in the gym to 14/15/16 year olds which is brilliant to see. Better get that education in early that young lads going into the gym and doing a few sets of bench presses and bicep curls etc.

general

im currently on 1950 cals a day with 190g of protein - 3 sessions a week in the home gym. ive dropped 16lb in 8 weeks and moved alot of flab into muscle. photos before and after are vital.

I use my fitness pal to track calories - right down to g's of protein per food. its very interesting once you get into it. I signed up to an online trainer from the derry area who uses an app - sets out weights sessions, tracking body stats, progress photos all in one. each session i do is tracked and then i compete against the weights i lifted in the next session.

i havent seen myself holding back in the last 8 weeks - as far as the trainer told me, he didnt give 2 fiddly f**ks if i ate my target cals in mars bars. its all a calorie deficiency diet. highly recommend if anyone wants put in contact.

my diet now consists of a good balance and mix,

eggs, turkey, chicken, pastas, anything i want i can eat. protein bars/shakes - yeah i have these but most of the daily protein can be got from the food source

in regard to lifting weights and pumping protein at 14 - imo its far too young. its still a developing child at 14.