Rural Broadband NI(Satellite

Started by WeeDonns, January 12, 2015, 08:15:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WeeDonns

Guys, I've been asked to organise broadband for a relative's house in a rural location.
We've had BT out twice in the past few weeks, digging up holes to repair stuff and erecting new telegraph poles, only to be told after all that, that they're too far (11km) from the exchange to get broadband.

They're to call me back offering a dedicated line on Tuesday, but I think they begin around £300pm...

So the options really are Satellite Broadband or a mobile dongle device. Just wondering what people with any experience think of these two?

I've checked with EE and they provide 3g but not 4g coverage at the house. EE offer these
EE Osprey Pay As You Go Mobile WiFi devices. £40 for PAYG or free for a £15 a month contract.

I haven't much experience with satellite broadband, but when I google it, there seem to be quite a few companies providing it here for about £45pm for decent data allowance. Has anyone any experience of satellite broadband here? any recommendations of companies to go with/avoid?

What would the performance be like for streaming TV etc?

supersarsfields

I dealt a bit with Fastcom in Sligo in a previous job. Think that's the sort of thing that they can do. Never used their services but they were expanding pretty quickly at that stage. They cover NI as well.

Might be worth a look.

Tony Baloney

I was on satellite up to a couple of years ago with a crowd called Avanti. As far as I am aware they were the only providers and were subsidised by Stormont. Download speeds up to 2Mbps rather than the 20 claimed by the new providers. I am assuming they have upgraded the tech rather than overselling the service! No streaming for me when I was on it.

Smokin Joe

These are who DETI recommend now in NI: http://www.onwave.ie/

I've spoken to them before but haven't bitten the bullet to buy their services.  Personally, I thought their data allowances were on the skinny side and you could run into bother if streaming.

Stall the Bailer

Have you tried radio broadband? Northwest electronics/bluebox offer this service. They have their own transmitters set up all over Ulster. There website has a coverage map.

Up The Middle

Try Briskona they offer a good service.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

theskull1

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

johnneycool

BT are finally installing a fibre to the (home) street system on our road and the technicians are telling me I could be getting up to 30Meg to the house! I'm right beside the cabinet!!
Happy days as up till now I'd be lucky to get a few hundred K.

They better clear up my verge as well, durty bolloxes.