Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geezer

Thought creggan were brilliant yesterday. Didnt give st marys sniff. Well marshalled team. McLarnon and mccann at half back wrere superb.

All the best to them in ulster, hope everyone will be at corrigan the 5th December cheering them on.

St marys will be disappointed given the way they played in the semi. They just didnt seem to turn up for the final. Maybe it was nerves or just inexperience?

To any of the creggan lads on here well done and enjoy the celebrations! Tony mccollums interview with jerome quinn was brilliant. Shows what its all about at the end of the day.

Kickham csc

Quote from: bannside on November 15, 2021, 02:56:49 PM
Welcome Lar. Indeed, next few years should be very interesting. Whether it's realistic or not, at least 6 or 8 clubs will give themselves some kind of a chance. The standard is levelling off, great for lots of competitive encounters, but no one going to trouble Glen or Kilcoo any time soon.

The Antrim scene now is very similar to Derry in the 80's early 90's, and that produced a few fireworks of championship games. The next few years should be entertaining

Flanker

Quote from: Sportacus on November 15, 2021, 07:20:24 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 15, 2021, 07:02:11 PM
Quote from: Sportacus on November 15, 2021, 06:54:03 PM
County Final day was an even better spectacle with the minor final on before the big game.  Is covid the reason it's missing?

Yes, numbers wise but this year we were full pelt with attendances, much prefer the minor finals before the seniors, 2 years ago was last time at Corrigan. Hopefully back to normal next year
That's a shame.  Hopefully get it back next year and give young lads the profile they deserve.  While I'm at it, I know a lot of young lads who have kicked their last ball at U17 and see no incentive to stick around for a stop-start U20 championship.  I think it's a very sad situation.  Switching minor to U17 was a massive mistake.  Could a county do a solo run and switch back, or are we stuck with the National decision?
U17 was a big mistake with regard to player drop out. Scheduling U20 is exceptionally difficult. The old U21 was difficult but given guys had at least got age group football to u18 there wasn't the same need to provide a reasonable number of games. Counties could put forward a motion to revert to the previous age groupings. Would get a lot of support but might need a 2/3rds majority which would be difficult. So much for player pathways if you just fall the wrong side of U17 cut off date

country bumpkin

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 15, 2021, 09:26:57 PM
Never had a drink in that area, plenty of pints in Cargin over the years, some nights we never made it home till we'll after one!

And then you always fell outa bed.....dream or nightmare.....?

Saffsof82

Quote from: Flanker on November 16, 2021, 08:24:20 AM
County Final day was an even better spectacle with the minor final on before the big game.  Is covid the reason it's missing?

Yes, numbers wise but this year we were full pelt with attendances, much prefer the minor finals before the seniors, 2 years ago was last time at Corrigan. Hopefully back to normal next year
That's a shame.  Hopefully get it back next year and give young lads the profile they deserve.  While I'm at it, I know a lot of young lads who have kicked their last ball at U17 and see no incentive to stick around for a stop-start U20 championship.  I think it's a very sad situation.  Switching minor to U17 was a massive mistake.  Could a county do a solo run and switch back, or are we stuck with the National decision?
U17 was a big mistake with regard to player drop out. Scheduling U20 is exceptionally difficult. The old U21 was difficult but given guys had at least got age group football to u18 there wasn't the same need to provide a reasonable number of games. Counties could put forward a motion to revert to the previous age groupings. Would get a lot of support but might need a 2/3rds majority which would be difficult. So much for player pathways if you just fall the wrong side of U17 cut off date

We can go for and u19 competition next year instead of u20, was alot of debate around it this year if i remember rightly.  Needs to be scheduled in the early summer, after A levels and before club senior champiuonship starts.

EOC1923

Quote from: Saffsof82 on November 16, 2021, 09:47:35 AM

We can go for and u19 competition next year instead of u20, was alot of debate around it this year if i remember rightly.  Needs to be scheduled in the early summer, after A levels and before club senior champiuonship starts.
That never going to happen

Milltown Row2

What was the attendance for the final?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

rogercasement

More important question, are the creggan men going at it today?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: rogercasement on November 16, 2021, 11:47:01 AM

Plenty of time to celebrate after the Ulster club, why put all that effort into winning the damn thing and not test yourself against the best?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

redhandefender

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 16, 2021, 11:49:42 AM
Quote from: rogercasement on November 16, 2021, 11:47:01 AM

Plenty of time to celebrate after the Ulster club, why put all that effort into winning the damn thing and not test yourself against the best?

You probably answered your own question, put all the effort into winning it therefore celebrated the success.

I would doubt they started the year sacrificing to play an ulster championship match, Cargin may have!

Sportacus

Quote from: EOC1923 on November 16, 2021, 09:49:48 AM
Quote from: Saffsof82 on November 16, 2021, 09:47:35 AM

That never going to happen
"Never"?  What is the immovable object? 

NJacko

Is 2 nights/days not enough until after they see where Ulster takes them? I fully agree with the Milltown Row poster. Chances to push on and get a run at Ulsters best clubs doesnt come around often. They can have plenty of nights partying (and rightly so) once they exit Ulster. It's a great draw for the Antrim champions as I mentioned in the last post. Not unrealistic to expect to win that game at least.

Milltown Row2

Ok, just checked the dates, 5th Dec. 20 days away. So another night won't harm them  ;) But I'm sure Gerard won't let this opportunity pass, maybe I'm biased and been lucky enough over the years to watch various (not our latest teams achievements) but the older brigade of the club have great days out in the Ulster club championships.

Any word on Creggan's long standing injuries? Would these lads have a chance?

JimStynes

Clann Eireann have already started watching videos of Creggan! They'll be taking it serious and seeing Creggan as a good draw also.

JimStynes

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 16, 2021, 09:54:14 AM
What was the attendance for the final?

They didn't scan a lot of our tickets!